Painful Canadian Dollar

I heard an analyst forecast that they predict the loonie to fall down to $1.72 by the end of this year. I'm hoping it waits until after September to do so!
And I've read the opposite - that the loony should gain strength by 3 or 4 cents over 2019. So I've been waiting. LOL
Perhaps stresses that buying a bit of US$ when you are able helps soften the impact and averages out some highs and lows.

The big bank chief economists all do exchange rate forecasts, and while they’re rarely exactly on, no one serious is going to hang their hat on 1.7x. I’m pretty sure that would be an all-time low.

The likely range is still 1.20-1.40 for now, and the bigshots’ forecasts for Q2 are 1.27-1.35.

Last edited:

I've started collecting Air Miles consistently which helps a lot. For our upcoming anniversary trip I got our flights with AM and had enough cash miles left to convert to $300 in gift cards. Hopefully I'll have another $200-$300 in gift cards by July. We'll put that towards food costs as we are not fans of the dining plan. I have an AP so try to utilize the saving there. I'll get my DH's ticket with the Canadian resident discount. We rented DVC points which saved us over $1500 vs Disney's best rate.

For my March break trip, I am on a super strict budget so am flying out of Buffalo and found a Disney Springs hotel for $107/n. I am only doing 2 ADRs and will end with CS for the rest. As long as I'm in Disney, I'll be happy!

I've started collecting Air Miles consistently which helps a lot. For our upcoming anniversary trip I got our flights with AM and had enough cash miles left to convert to $300 in gift cards. Hopefully I'll have another $200-$300 in gift cards by July. We'll put that towards food costs as we are not fans of the dining plan. I have an AP so try to utilize the saving there. I'll get my DH's ticket with the Canadian resident discount. We rented DVC points which saved us over $1500 vs Disney's best rate.

For my March break trip, I am on a super strict budget so am flying out of Buffalo and found a Disney Springs hotel for $107/n. I am only doing 2 ADRs and will end with CS for the rest. As long as I'm in Disney, I'll be happy!
Are those gift cards Disney cards? And are they in CAD or USD? Also, since I'm not the primary AM user in my house, how many points did it cost for a gift card? (assuming its the same for everyone.)

Are those gift cards Disney cards? And are they in CAD or USD? Also, since I'm not the primary AM user in my house, how many points did it cost for a gift card? (assuming its the same for everyone.)
What I am doing is collecting AM as cash miles. Then I applying the cash miles (95 = $10) towards the cost of my grocery bill. The money I saved through using cash miles is used to cover the gift card. Yes, they are Disney gift cards in CDN funds. Hope this helps! It was 2,850 cash AM to net $300 in gift cards. :)

Ticket prices went up again today. Just checked and for four 7 day hoppers starting Christmas day, it is $2800 USD. PAINFUL!!

I bit the bullet two weeks ago and finished my US$ purchase. Painful but decided to get it done. If I don't go to WDW this year, I have it socked away in my US$ banking account for another year.

I heard an analyst forecast that they predict the loonie to fall down to $1.72 by the end of this year. I'm hoping it waits until after September to do so!

Did you maybe mean dropping to 0.72 (so calculating in the other direction). That seems more likely (and more in line with the estimates blow).

Last edited:
As in the actual ticket prices, or because of the dollar?

$2800 USD, so about $3600 CAD for four 7 day hoppers. This is for a Christmas day start which is probably the most expensive. It can be quite a bit cheaper at another time of the year.

$2800 USD, so about $3600 CAD for four 7 day hoppers. This is for a Christmas day start which is probably the most expensive. It can be quite a bit cheaper at another time of the year.

Gotcha. I saw the news after. I'm glad the Canadian resident tickets didn't go up! How much were they going to be before the increase?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!