Pandora is One Hot Planet FINAL UPDATE 8/31 Morimoto Asia'

I've been wanting to take Casey to the tea, but I think like you it really didn't look like they had a lot of options or that you get your moneys worth. Maybe one of these days
I think you should do this with Casey. The food is good. They have a kids tea with chocolate milk. For first timers this is nice. Except for A (he is more of a sports bar kinda guy) all the newbies thought it was awesome. For us veterans, we saw the decline and we're bummed. It is still a nice way to spend a very relaxing afternoon.

OK, I will try this again. For some reason I can't seem to get my California Grill review to post.

After resting and changing into our fancier duds, we we picked up the crew and headed to California Grill. My main goal in California Grill was to see the fireworks from the California Grill outdoor Bridge. This View is so special to me. I was especially excited because there was a new firework show. When I called to make the reservation, yes I still call at times, I asked what time the fireworks would be starting. I was told 10 p.m., so I made a 9:30 reservation. As Mike and a were dropping us off at the front of the Contemporary, I hear a boom! The fireworks were starting at 9. I was so disappointed. We stayed and watched the fireworks in front of the Contemporary, but Mike and A missed them while they parked the car.

Once the fireworks were over, we made our way to California Grill check-in. I told the hostess that we were late because we watched the fireworks. I also let her know that we were told the fireworks would be at 10. She shuttled us quickly into the elevator. In the elevator, we met two couples who were also told that the fireworks would begin at 10 pm. Reservations need to get their schedules straight.

I seriously needed a drink by this point, and I got a serious drink. Z and I ordered the Cosmopolitan Martini. I have loved the California Grill Cosmo for years. Unfortunately, while still very good, this one did not match my prior experiences. When I say a serious drink, I mean serious. This was almost entirely made from vodka. I could not taste any of the typical Cointreau or cranberry juice. Just look in the picture below and see how pink this Cosmo is. It barely had any of the beautiful red color it normally has. While I drink vodka straight, I am not certain Z loved it so much. I had been pumping this up for years, only to let him down. The rest of the table had Bella Glos Pinot Noir by Clark & Telephone. You have to love the name. This was a very good pinot noir. It was light and fruity, but not too light or too fruity. This was just right.
20170528_205911-1494x1992.jpg
20170528_205914-1494x1992.jpg

On to the food. One reason I always go to California Grill in May is because it is soft shell crab season. No one does soft shell crab like California Grill! Unfortunately, I can't find my photo, so you will have to just imagine it. We received two crabs lightly breaded and fried to a golden luscious brown. The creamy buttery taste of the crab was terrific. It had a slight glaze on it that was reminiscent of a sweet chili sauce. This had just enough spice to it to give a little kick without overpowering the scrumptious delicate soft shell crab. Trust me, this was perfect yummy goodness. We tend to order appetizers and sushi here, not entrees.

A had the BLT flatbread.. I think. BLT Flatbread - heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, cherrywood bacon jam, tomato mayonnaise, arugula. I couldn't find a picture of this either, but found an old one I had previously downloaded. I love the flat breads at California Grill. They are so big and easily shareable. This one was no different. CG-Flatbread.jpg
S & R felt like having dessert. They had theWarm Valrohna Chocolate Cake - vanilla bean ice cream, milk chocolate whipped panna cotta, cashew clusters. Again, I have to use an old picture because I can't find mine. I didn't try this, is it was pretty small to share. Also, I was too busy sucking up my second Cosmo, then another glass of wine, then my scrumptious Soft Shell crab. They really seemed to like it though
.180s.jpg

Z and I also each got dessert, which we shared with the rest of the table. As we were celebrating my birthday in a few days, and Z 's graduation from college, they brought us out an adorable Boston cream cupcake. It was a yellow cake with smooth cream in the middle and piled on top covered in chocolate ganache frosting. This was really good as well. This was a very nice dessert to receive for our celebration.
20170528_214039-1494x1992-747x996.jpg
At some point, Mike and I went onto the bridge to view the New Castle show, where images are shown on the castle. This was another letdown, as we really could not discern what was being projected on the castle. We only saw a change of colors.

Overall, California Grill with another win for us. We are skipping it next time, but I'm sure we will be back soon.

The next day was our Hollywood Studios day. We started out our day at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Tuscany Village having breakfast at the grill. The offerings at lunch and dinner are fantastic. The best Panini I have ever had comes from this little place. Lunch and dinner are served at the bar, where you will always find an excellent bartender. Since the kitchen is so good at the bar, I decided to hit the grill Starbuck for breakfast. Mike and I shared a huge breakfast burrito. It looks so beautiful, and so wonderfully stuff. Unfortunately, The Taste was really Bland. You see the bottle of hot sauce in the background? I swear it was empty by the time we left.

20170529_091243-1494x1992.jpg

We then headed to Hollywood Studios. As usual, I whomped everyone on Toy Story Mania. It's all in the wrist baby!! I was excited to ride with my friends on Star Tours, as Mikey doesn't ride and I usually ride alone. I really liked the new movie and 3D effects. I am such a 3D junkie LOL. Quick Road The Great Movie Ride for the last time, watched some Jedi training and a Star Wars show in front of the ride. Send decided we were hungry again. I wish Hollywood Studios had some better eateries.

We ended up at Fairfax Fair. Mike and I shared theEmpanadas Platter - Beef empanadas served with cilantro rice, black beans, tomato corn salsa, and sour cream. I was a bit disappointed in these. The flavor was okay, but was rather boring. The empanadas were not filled very full. In fact, they were pretty flat. The roasted corn was the star of the dish. Oh my God! I could have just eaten this and been happy. Unfortunately, I had to share with Mike. This also came with beans, which were ok, and rice, which was better than expected but still just ok.

20170529_131405-1992x1494.jpg
Since it was really hot, and I was melting, I didn't want to melt alone. I got hand scooped ice cream. While I was hankering for a different flavor, I saw the sugar free vanilla and got that to share with Mike. I am such a good wife, I give up my own desires so he can keep his blood sugar under control. This was really good. You got a big scoop, so big they had to put it in a cup. I am glad to see they had a sugar fee option that tasted great too.
20170529_133645-1494x1992.jpg

My friends really made out better than we did. They got Loaded Baked Potato - topped with sour cream, cheddar, bacon bits and choice of black beans or roasted corn medley. I had some definate food envy here. These were HUGE and truly loaded with stuff. I don't think anyone finished theirs. I bet this Irish girl could have. I love me some Taters. I must have missed a pic because I can't find it. Here is one I pilfered from WFW Today.
IMG_1484-1200x900.jpg

Over all, this was good food at DHS. I just ordered wrong. I need to try that spud for myself.

That night our group split up so Mike and I could go to our absolute favorite restaurant Todd English Bluezoo. We love the seafood here. Others must feel the same, as Bluezoo won a Foodie award.20170529_185311-1494x1992.jpg
We started off sharing the Yellowfin Tuna Tartare - Miso caviar, scallion cream, nitro sriracha aioli. This is one of my all time favorite foods. Fresh tuna chunks in a soy marinade served with sriracha dippin' dots. Perfect!! The odd thing is this time the serber brought Mike and I each a plate. She had split it in half for us. As many times as we have ordered this, it has never come out this way. I actially tgink i got more this time, as Mike and I fork fightbover it. Nummy Nummy nummy!!
We also had the bread. I am not a bread fan generally. I really like the crackers in this basket. Mike has to get a piece up front or it is gone.20170529_191220-1494x1992.jpg
20170529_190755-1494x1992.jpg
Onto the entrees. Mike had a special corvina dish with a creamy shrimp sauce. I don't find it on the menu. What I tasted was creamy goodness that didn't overpower the light corvina.
20170529_192823-1494x1992.jpg
I also had a special that night. Again, not on the menu so I don't have a good description. It was a large grouper steak with Mediterranean spices and Isreali cous cous. It also had crab on top like the Simply Fish, but it wasn't the Simply Fish. I love cous cous, so this was right up my alley. The firm fish steak was perfectly fresh and tasty.

20170529_192830-1494x1992.jpg

Let's not forget the drinky poo. We got very different wines. Our sweet server chose well for us. Mike has been on a Pinot Noir kick lately. The Four Grace's Pinot Noir hit the spot and did not overwhelm the corvina. He said it was on par with the Clark & Telephone from California Grill. I had a Whitehaven sauvignon blanc. This was very crisp with lots of tart grapefruit up front and a bit of sweetness to finish. I really liked this choice. We each had a couple glasses of our choices. Normally we would try different wines with each course, but these were so good we didn't switch.
20170529_194745-1494x1992.jpg
20170529_194740-1494x1992.jpg
20170529_194736-1494x1992.jpg
Finally onto dessert. Although all the desserts sound wonderful, we chose a favorite from our last trip. Chocorange - chocolate fondant cake, chocolate orange cream, marshmallow, chocolate sorbet, orange vanilla sauce. Normally, I don't like the chocolate orange flavor profile. It reminds me of the Christmas chocolate shaped.like an orange that broke apart. I don't recall the name, but I never liked it. This happens to be Mike's favorite flavors. This is FABULOUS!!!! It is pure art. Here is the dessert as it was brought to the table.
20170529_201641-1494x1992.jpg

We were celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary from the week before, as work had interfered with our actual anniversary. Bluezoo does this so well. The dessert was comped, and we were each given a glass of chanpagne. I can't find a pic of the champagne. Tasted fantastic. Once at the table, the server poured the sauce over the dome to reveal the chocolate sorbet. I can't find the after photo, but will post it when I do. The effect of the melting dome is so cool.

Once again, we were wowed by Bluezoo. I know it doesn't get as much love around here as Flying Fish, but for us this is da BOMB!! We will continue to come here every trip.

Have to love food reviews that also focus on the drinks! The Cosmo did appear to be mostly vodka--like you, I enjoy vodka but it does need the right doctoring. As for wines, I'm a huge enthusiast, and I must say there's nothing quite like a crisp Sauv Blanc from the Marlborough region. Same can be said about Oregon Pinot Noirs. In fact, I generally tend not to drink Sauv Blancs unless they're from Marlborough and the same for Oregon Pinots. Thanks for the reviews so far!

Have to love food reviews that also focus on the drinks! The Cosmo did appear to be mostly vodka--like you, I enjoy vodka but it does need the right doctoring. As for wines, I'm a huge enthusiast, and I must say there's nothing quite like a crisp Sauv Blanc from the Marlborough region. Same can be said about Oregon Pinot Noirs. In fact, I generally tend not to drink Sauv Blancs unless they're from Marlborough and the same for Oregon Pinots. Thanks for the reviews so far!
Thanks. Love your reviews too. Alcohol is such an important part of the dining experience I just have to report on it as well. I think my husband prefers Pinot Noir from Oregon too. Our nephew might be moving there soon, so we just might have to visit to try some out.

Great reviews, and love the vegetarian piece...I am as well. Hard to find reviews and pics of vegetarian offerings. That baked potato looks awesome!

Bluezoo looks like such a culinary delight. I hate that we are a slave to the DDP as I would love to try it. Maybe I can swing a solo trip and try it sometime.

Great reviews, and love the vegetarian piece...I am as well. Hard to find reviews and pics of vegetarian offerings. That baked potato looks awesome!
I wish I had better vegetarian photos. I like many of the vegetarian options at WDW. I am a fish person at heart, so I tend to eat a lot of seafood in Florida. Thanks for reading along. Lots more veg to come.
Bluezoo looks like such a culinary delight. I hate that we are a slave to the DDP as I would love to try it. Maybe I can swing a solo trip and try it sometime.
The Swan and Dolphin restaurants are a huge reason we don't do the dining plan anymore. There are so many great options there. Maybe do a signature one night and spend another at Bluezoo. It is fantastic, and worth every penny and calorie.

I don't know what the problem is, but I keep losing my reviews when I switch screens. Here goes try number two.

The next day we went to Epcot in the morning, with the plan to travel to Pandora that night. Pandora must have been expecting us, as the entire World was HOT HOT HOT!! After trudging around a bit, we couldn't wait to hit our lunch reservation at Restaurant Marrakesh in the Morocco pavilion. I really like this place, and was looking forward to showing Z all the great veg options here. It was hot as Africa outside, so what better restaurant to visit huh?

It boiled down to everyone eating cous cous. Mike and I love cous cous at home. I took the recipe for the Marrakesh Vegetarian cous cous from a Disney knock off recipe site, and it is wonderful. Of course i had to order it here to make sure I still have the seasoning right. I have to say I DO, and it was as wonderful as ever. Wonderful cabbage, chick peas, carrots and squash. The only difference this trip was the squash. Typically we come here in the fall, so pumpkin is used in the vegetarian cous cous. This time it was a different squash that tasted like acorn but was a different color.
20130116_185128-768x576.jpg
You can see the rolls in the back. Just basic dinner rolls. Nothing special. The bread is disappointing here because there are so many better options from Morocco bread service.

Others had the Cous Cous M'Rouzia Fassi. This dish is beef in a fig sauce. I tried making this at home, but the flavors illude me. We will just have to come here to get it. Mike loves this cous cous.
20130116_185117-768x576.jpg
Wierd, it looks like Mike is wearing a long sleeve black shirt, but he wasn't. All you see is his hand. Camera trick I guess.

Overall we liked Marrakesh.

I don't know what the problem is, but I keep losing my reviews when I switch screens. Here goes try number two.

The next day we went to Epcot in the morning, with the plan to travel to Pandora that night. Pandora must have been expecting us, as the entire World was HOT HOT HOT!! After trudging around a bit, we couldn't wait to hit our lunch reservation at Restaurant Marrakesh in the Morocco pavilion. I really like this place, and was looking forward to showing Z all the great veg options here. It was hot as Africa outside, so what better restaurant to visit huh?

It boiled down to everyone eating cous cous. Mike and I love cous cous at home. I took the recipe for the Marrakesh Vegetarian cous cous from a Disney knock off recipe site, and it is wonderful. Of course i had to order it here to make sure I still have the seasoning right. I have to say I DO, and it was as wonderful as ever. Wonderful cabbage, chick peas, carrots and squash. The only difference this trip was the squash. Typically we come here in the fall, so pumpkin is used in the vegetarian cous cous. This time it was a different squash that tasted like acorn but was a different color.
View attachment 262722
You can see the rolls in the back. Just basic dinner rolls. Nothing special. The bread is disappointing here because there are so many better options from Morocco bread service.

Others had the Cous Cous M'Rouzia Fassi. This dish is beef in a fig sauce. I tried making this at home, but the flavors illude me. We will just have to come here to get it. Mike loves this cous cous.
View attachment 262723
Wierd, it looks like Mike is wearing a long sleeve black shirt, but he wasn't. All you see is his hand. Camera trick I guess.

Overall we liked Marrakesh.
We're fans of couscous, as well. Any particular herbs or spices you put in it that might not be the norm?

I loved seeing your BZ meal. Its my favorite, but those aren't my go-tos. I'll have to think about this next time.

We're fans of couscous, as well. Any particular herbs or spices you put in it that might not be the norm?
I make a couple different versions of cous cous, but for the entrees cous cous I think the flavor really comes from the saffron, garlic, ginger, turnips and squash. I use zucchini and pumpkin.
I loved seeing your BZ meal. Its my favorite, but those aren't my go-tos. I'll have to think about this next time.
The tuna ans fish dhes are my go to. I am interested in trying other things here. What are yours? What are

I make a couple different versions of cous cous, but for the entrees cous cous I think the flavor really comes from the saffron, garlic, ginger, turnips and squash. I use zucchini and pumpkin.

The tuna ans fish dhes are my go to. I am interested in trying other things here. What are yours? What are

I usually stick to apps - the tuna, raw oysters are a MUST for me, and the scallops are perennial favorites.

Even the wonderful mint iced tea at Marrakesh couldn't revive us from the Heat. On the walk back to Future World we stopped at Le Artisan de Glaces for some Gelato. I had Mango. The flavor tasted just like sweet Manila Mango, not tart Mexican ones Yum!! Still didn't do the trick though. We were hot and sticky and crabby.

We all decided to go back to the rooms to nap. I have never felt more drained. Mike was to the point of melt down, physically and emotionally. He didn't even want to go to Pandora!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Knowing he would regret it later, I made him go. We rode the Na'avi River Ride. It was absolutely beautiful. The Na'avi animatronic was so realistic. We both loved this ride. Afterwards, we completed our Everest Fastpass and decided to eat. It was still so hot and muggy we were again wiped out. I needed chocolate and Sangria. I found decent Sangria and a great little sweet store at the African Marketplace.
20161103_172123-2241x2988.jpg
20170530_171014-2988x2241.jpg
20170530_170957-2988x2241.jpg 20170530_171923-2241x2988.jpg

Z and I were the only ones to indulge in these dark chocolate chili Mickeys. We loved them. No I ever could decide on actual dinner, Mikey was melting, and it looked like it was going to pour. We left our friends to ride the safari and searched for a last minute ressie at a new favorite Captain's Grill. Up next.

Last trip we discovered the wonders of Captain's Grill. I can't believe they are closing it as soon as we find it. IMHO the last thing WDW needs is a brew pub with typical bar food when they had such a nice family friendly place. Oh well, my opinions don't count. We just made it into the resort when the skies opened and it began to pour. I was glad we didn't stay for the safari.

We started out with a wine flight. Reasonably priced flights are getting harder and harder to find.20161102_202948-2988x2241.jpg 20161102_203008-2988x2241.jpg 20161102_203004-2988x2241.jpg 20161102_203001-2988x2241.jpg 20161102_203001-2988x2241.jpg
All of these were good, but I loved the Simi. Wierd thing about Simi wines. Every time I order one in a restaurant it is fabulous. I purchase a bottle to open at home and they taste young. The years are the same. I bet Simi sends a Reserve to restaurants and bit so good stuff to Costco, Sam's Club and Benny's.

Mike and I both ordered the same. We started off with Clam Chowder. The was really good, so good we didn't care how hot it was outside. Lookie at the beautiful clams and taters. NOM NOM nummy!

20170530_195155-2241x2988.jpg
For our entries we had Cabernet-braised Short Rib - corn risotto, pan jus reduction and corn cream . This was also really really good. The corn risotto seemed sweeter than before, a bit too sweet. Not so sweet that it ruined the wonderful short ribs. This is the dish we will miss most.20161102_204514-2241x2988.jpg
One final thought on Captain's Grill. The place seemed like an afterthought since moving to the new location. The food was good but just a bit off from prior visits. The staff was attentive, yet they seemed to loiter around a lot talking to each other rather loudly and laughing out loud. It almost seemed as though they knew it is closing so didn't really care. Nonetheless, this was a great meal. Our spirits were lifted. We are sad to see it go.

BTW our friends were totally rained on.

Last trip we discovered the wonders of Captain's Grill. I can't believe they are closing it as soon as we find it. IMHO the last thing WDW needs is a brew pub with typical bar food when they had such a nice family friendly place. Oh well, my opinions don't count. We just made it into the resort when the skies opened and it began to pour. I was glad we didn't stay for the safari.

We started out with a wine flight. Reasonably priced flights are getting harder and harder to find.View attachment 262790 View attachment 262791 View attachment 262792 View attachment 262793 View attachment 262793
All of these were good, but I loved the Simi. Wierd thing about Simi wines. Every time I order one in a restaurant it is fabulous. I purchase a bottle to open at home and they taste young. The years are the same. I bet Simi sends a Reserve to restaurants and bit so good stuff to Costco, Sam's Club and Benny's.

Mike and I both ordered the same. We started off with Clam Chowder. The was really good, so good we didn't care how hot it was outside. Lookie at the beautiful clams and taters. NOM NOM nummy!

View attachment 262794
For our entries we had Cabernet-braised Short Rib - corn risotto, pan jus reduction and corn cream . This was also really really good. The corn risotto seemed sweeter than before, a bit too sweet. Not so sweet that it ruined the wonderful short ribs. This is the dish we will miss most.View attachment 262796
One final thought on Captain's Grill. The place seemed like an afterthought since moving to the new location. The food was good but just a bit off from prior visits. The staff was attentive, yet they seemed to loiter around a lot talking to each other rather loudly and laughing out loud. It almost seemed as though they knew it is closing so didn't really care. Nonetheless, this was a great meal. Our spirits were lifted. We are sad to see it go.

BTW our friends were totally rained on.

Bummer about Captains Grill. We have had breakfast and dinner there on past trips and had good food and service both times.

Really enjoying your reviews so far! Bluezoo is definitely on my list to try as I know my DH would love it as well. I am trying BOG for the first time on my upcoming trip but for lunch. How do you find ordering mostly apps at the California Grill? I chose a salad, sushi and dessert when I had dinner there last year and noticed a significant decline in service when I didn't order an entree. Did that ever happen to you? Maybe it was because I was a solo diner that evening as well.

Glad to see a good review of the tea. I love afternoon tea although I am really disappointed to see they took the berries and cheese away from the Berfordshire. I had the impression they were just renovating Captains Grille not replacing it. A brew pub doesn't seem to fit with the theme of the YC, especially when Big River Grille and ESPN club are a short walk away. Such a bad decision on Disney's part.

That dark chocolate Mickey head you enjoyed.....did you mention it had chili as well? I love dark chocolate with chili! Was that at Zuri's sweet shop? Will definitely have to check that out. Looking forward to the rest of your reviews! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!