Parents of Class of 2018 thread

DD will have her applications finished by next weekend ...her goal, plus waiting for letter of rec from her science teacher. Will be happy when this part is finished. I did the FAFSA on Monday, was easier than the financial aid for her HS lol.

My DD will be finishing the common app this weekend, that's the plan!
Waiting on one teacher recommendation, and some supplemental essays to be written. I have to fill out our FAFSA...glad it's a long weekend for us, so we can get it all done.
We've decided we've visited enough schools, now she'll apply and let the chips fall where they may, maybe visit some schools after we know they're really in contention, financially. It's so hard to plan when you are waiting for the bottom lie in tuition costs!

Time is flying by. DS National Merit Scholarship app is due next week, which is good because he can reuse a lot of the essay for College Apps. This deadline will make him get organized. Do any of your students need to do the SSAR (self reported grade portal). It was a pain, but he got it done.

We are in the middle of marching band season too so it's a busy time. As sad as I am to see them moving out and moving on, I have to say I am also glad that some of the high school is coming to an end to.

My DD finally started the National Merit app. I just did my part and gave the consent. I think she just has to do the essay. She has done only one app so far, for our University right here in town that she does NOT want to attend, but I wouldn't mind seeing her go here. At least she has that out of the way and is admitted so if she wants to go somewhere else, she needs to get her booty in gear. I have nudged a few times, especially for the National Merit, but she does not like my input. :-) She is taking 7 AP classes and is in the middle of soccer season, so is just busy and tired all the time. Taking the SAT tomorrow for the NM qualification. Has not taken it before. Just retook the ACT last month as was immensely pleased with her score.

O M G
DD was accepted by her first choice, we are very happy for her but not overly surprised, it wasn't a reach. But the big news? She received a renewable scholarship for $20,000 a year, for a total of $80,000!!!! That covers almost half of the total cost. Man, such a blessing and relief.

Senior year it's going well even though her course load is tougher, she likes her teachers and that makes a big difference.

@mrsv98 Congratulations!!

DD18 has three fly ins over the next 2 weeks. These are schools she is interested in but would not be able to visit if not for all expenses paid by the school. We are really grateful for the opportunities (and geographic diversity).

Homecoming is over (seniors won!), blood drive is next! Fall break first, which is a welcome relief. She is a great time manager due her sport and luckily I don't have to login to check up on grades. I still ask if she wants me to stay up with her (not in the same room, just another light on in the house), but she often goes to bed before me.

I don't know how kids do it these days. I don't think I would have been able to handle it all.

DD submitted her 4 schools on common app. 2 more single applications to work on.
Should get an answer on one school in the next couple weeks, they have a quick turn around.
Will be happy for us both to have these taken care of and then that stress will be gone.

Been picking up small things that she’ll need for college when I find them on sale, decided to wrap a couple of them for Christmas as little gag gifts lol. Who doesn’t want a surge protector and extension cord for Christmas!

DD submitted her 4 schools on common app. 2 more single applications to work on.
Should get an answer on one school in the next couple weeks, they have a quick turn around.
Will be happy for us both to have these taken care of and then that stress will be gone.

Been picking up small things that she’ll need for college when I find them on sale, decided to wrap a couple of them for Christmas as little gag gifts lol. Who doesn’t want a surge protector and extension cord for Christmas!

Don't forget her Christmas ethernet cable! (I'm still not sure what it's used for but every college dorm list has it, and my older daughter has hers - my husband was in charge of that, lol)

Don't forget her Christmas ethernet cable! (I'm still not sure what it's used for but every college dorm list has it, and my older daughter has hers - my husband was in charge of that, lol)

It’s on the list. Will get when we buy her laptop! Not sure what it’s for either, maybe internet??? Very computer challenged lol

I've been doing the same! Costco had "bed in a bag" for XL twins on deep discount. Into the cart it went. Also, "towel sets" which matched the bedding. In exactly the color scheme DD wanted. Perfection, and both together cost me less than the comforter at most stores. Score for mom!

We are deep in the waiting game and my son can’t stand it. He sent his last application October 3rd. He applied to 7 schools. I’m so nervous yet so excited for him. Will he get an email or regular mail or just check the college sites? He has received emails from a few that everything has been received

Good luck to all!

So a little stressful here. My son is getting his application together for U of Chicago Early Action. Most accepted kids get in during Early Decision but he doesn't want to limit himself to the one application. Their acceptance rate is like 8% so the chances are slim anyway, but I feel that it would be a great fit for him. They say they are need blind, but I am sure he would need to take some loans as well and we are struggling with that as he is planning on grad school.

How much debt do you want to incur in UG when you are looking at Grad School as well? And the fact that it is half way across the country and he is an introvert.

O M G
DD was accepted by her first choice, we are very happy for her but not overly surprised, it wasn't a reach. But the big news? She received a renewable scholarship for $20,000 a year, for a total of $80,000!!!! That covers almost half of the total cost. Man, such a blessing and relief.

Senior year it's going well even though her course load is tougher, she likes her teachers and that makes a big difference.
That is fantastic! Congrats.

So my DD was accepted a month ago, and is all set. My son, LAST NIGHT, decided it was time to fill out his application, due November 1, for his first choice school. ARE YOU KIDDING ME right now? LOL. I've been gently reminding him at least once a week since the first of September that November 1 will be here sooner than he thinks. The problem, of course, is that he needs to send in his ACT scores and transcript for his application to be considered "complete" and, while we ordered those last night, there is no guarantee that they will arrive by the deadline. Ack. Now, it's not a "hard and fast" deadline, but is the deadline for consideration for the honors college and the best dorm choices. My son. He's going to give me even more gray hairs. I'm also having a very difficult time convincing him to apply to more than one college. His test scores and GPA would get him in tons of places, but nope, he's got his heart set on the U of Minnesota, and a very specific college within the U of M (College of Science and Engineering). Sigh. He really needs a back up plan!

So a little stressful here. My son is getting his application together for U of Chicago Early Action. Most accepted kids get in during Early Decision but he doesn't want to limit himself to the one application. Their acceptance rate is like 8% so the chances are slim anyway, but I feel that it would be a great fit for him. They say they are need blind, but I am sure he would need to take some loans as well and we are struggling with that as he is planning on grad school.

How much debt do you want to incur in UG when you are looking at Grad School as well? And the fact that it is half way across the country and he is an introvert.

If Grad School is in the picture, I'd save my money for a big name grad school instead of a big name undergrad school. If you get a grad degree, basically no one cares where the undergrad degree is from. And, there are plenty of undergrad places to go which are "good enough." The secret is to choose a "good enough" undergrad school and do very well. Now, of course, if he gets in AND gets enough aid to make it worth it (although IIRC, there is no merit aid for U of Chicago, only "needs based" aid, for which the qualifications are tighter than they lead you to believe), then go for it. My son laughed at U of Chicago tuition, and tossed their materials into the nearest trash bin. We qualify for no "needs based" aid, and their $70K plus per year cost just isn't in the cards (despite what they think at those financial aid offices...LOL).

My girl has had a bad cold all week. Didn’t go to school yesterday and left after 2nd period Tuesday, went today but was miserable. Had gone on a retreat for 4 days with school, most of the kids are now sick....sharing food and rain, cold weather. She’s stressed out about all the work she missed, they have to make up work from the two school days oand that it’s dropped her GPA. Hate she is dealing with it, but feel it’s also a life lesson.

Good luck with your kids applying. Was hoping DD would finish up this weekend but with being sick (staying home today) and make up assignments that won’t be happening.

It’s hard seeing them stressed and struggling. Guess we have to hope we are giving them the tools to succeed in college without physically being with them.

Got two applications out yesterday. Of course one of them, DH told her to click she was interested in scholarships not realizing it was a specific scholars program she needed an essay for. I told her either crank out an essay or correct it when they send you a note that something is missing. Needless to say she's freaking out. Aye. Any ideas/thoughts are welcome on that one. Anyway, her goal is to have them all out by end of month, but she will likely have it done by end of next week.

DD finished her fly ins. 30K miles over 2 weeks. Today she is hosting the blood drive at school. Practice, sleepover with teammates over the weekend. She is always on the go.

2 acceptances, 4 EA apps done. She would be very happy at the first school that accepted her, just waiting on merit.

@mommy2mrb Hope your D feels better soon!

Thanks 3MFamily. Me too, she’s not a great kid to be around when she’s sick lol.

Congratulations on the two acceptances!

My DD was nominated for our local rotary student of the month for her volunteering in Haiti! Ceremony is Wednesday. To say I’m a proud mama is an understatement! To be honored for something she does in her daddy’s memory makes it even more special.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter