Parents of the Class of 2019

Our kids do that at the senior honors mass. They are supposed to write a letter to their parents, and they present the letter and a white rose to their parents at the end of mass. DD didn't write hers to us, though. She wrote her letter and gave her flower to DD10, because she knew it would mean the world to her little sister. If that didn't make me cry, I'm not sure anything will.

View attachment 402490
What a great family memory! :sad:

Well it’s 12:09am so today is graduation. DS wanted to be free after graduation and this weekend. Our School district change the graduation to Friday at 7 PM I asked him if he wanted me to make a jello cake and he agreed to that; he doesn’t want anything else now. I offered him a piece now and he said “Yes”. I told him he can have it for breakfast too.

DS graduated last night. It was definitely bittersweet. He has such a great group of friends - I just hope he's lucky enough to find friends like this in college.

Everything has been so busy and now it's quiet and it feels really weird, but we will be very busy in the next few weeks. Tomorrow I go pick up DD19 from college, then my youngest graduates on June 6 (his school goes through sixth grade). Then on June 14 we're getting a dog - pretty much a "puppy brother" for DS12 since both of his siblings will be away at college in the fall. Plus I'll be planning our WDW/Universal trip that we are taking in August.

Our graduation is today. They had rehearsal yesterday, and we got a notification that the graduation should take 1 1/2 hours. I think they must have hired an auctioneer to get through graduation, because with 530 graduates, that's REALLY fast!
Hah! Speed graduation!

Our boys each had just over 300 in their classes and we were in and out in 1 hour. They run 2 lines that alternate. No applause, no cheering allowed.

Today is DD's last day of school. The very last day our family has someone in the local district since 1998.

Senior awards assembly this morning - first chance to try on the cap and gown. :) Son got an award for highest honors (e.g. over 4.0) but didn't get the computer science departmental award he thought he might get. They call off each graduate and list all scholarships they were offered as well as where they accepted to. Stats are always inflated because of so many kids applying to many schools, but they said something like 62% of the class got at least one non-need based scholarship and it totaled like $13 million.

Wife might kill me for posting this, but got a great shot of the two of them afterwards this morning :) :)

Our graduation is today. They had rehearsal yesterday, and we got a notification that the graduation should take 1 1/2 hours. I think they must have hired an auctioneer to get through graduation, because with 530 graduates, that's REALLY fast!

I bet they can do it! DS's class had 576 and it took 1 hour and 45 minutes. They didn't even do the "please hold all applause till the end" thing. There was enough space between so that families could do a (brief) cheer for their graduate. Only one family 'abused the privilege' to the point that the next name was hard to hear. I was amazed by how smoothly it ran.

@soccerdad72 great pic!

Well, she got the job! Nice to find out so soon, and before the long holiday. This is at the Chamber of Commerce so she'll be helping with the 4th of July plans, ramping up the social media she already helps with, and whatever else needs done. She's excited to be living "Parks & Rec" instead of just binge-watching it. All set for the summer now!

She was also asked to tutor a 12 year old on math, which she doesn't know how to approach but maybe she can figure it out.

I just found out 7 grads will not get to walk tonight because girls soccer and a boys team are at state finals tonight- their familes are not happy - this is the first year to graduate on a Friday and the first time Memorial day weekend. :(

I just found out 7 grads will not get to walk tonight because girls soccer and a boys team are at state finals tonight- their familes are not happy - this is the first year to graduate on a Friday and the first time Memorial day weekend. :(
Ours is tomorrow and 3 kids will miss because the State track meet is tomorrow. I'd be really disappointed as a parent. They walked at practice today, but it's still not the same.

Ours is tomorrow and 3 kids will miss because the State track meet is tomorrow. I'd be really disappointed as a parent. They walked at practice today, but it's still not the same.

That is a real shame. I would hate to miss for something like that and wish they'd take that stuff into account. I was surprised how many students in my son's class didn't walk. I did not hear of any conflicts like that though. I didn't count myself but my son said a friend's grandpa counted 24 "in absentia" graduates. It was a lot!

Graduation was yesterday, and it was really nice. It only lasted an hour. DS did well with his speech; he was even complimented by the English teacher for a well-writen and well-spoken speech, with is just about the highest praise he could have received!

He received 3 scholarships from the school--small ones, but they all count!--and he was notified about one more local one that will be given to him in June.

We got the letter that DS is getting a slew of awards Wed. night, including for test scores and scholars course of study. The one I am most proud of, and not surprised about, is outstanding student in social studies. He eats and breathes history and politics. Congrats to all the grads...we’ll be there in a few days!

And just like that, it's all over. Thankfully the storms held off and we had a lovely day. DD ended up second in her class which got her a seat on stage and a special award from the Superintendent.

Graduation Day by mom2rtk, on Flickr

You brought tears to my eyes when I read, "And just like that, it's all over".:sad1: I used the same phrase to end the picture book I made for DGD's senior soccer teammates along with a picture of the high school's press box sign "Pasture of Pain". I'm struggling as I watch those 8 teammates graduate; they mean the world to me and I love them like my own. Our graduation is May 31st and then MY granddaughter becomes an "official SENIOR" :sad:! I've so enjoyed your photos (especially the tennis ones) this past year; congratulations on an outstanding high school career! Our granddaughter is SO like your daughter (currently she's also 2nd in her class) so I KNOW how super proud you are of her. I wish her the best as she begins this next phase of her young life! :tink:

You brought tears to my eyes when I read, "And just like that, it's all over".:sad1: I used the same phrase to end the picture book I made for DGD's senior soccer teammates along with a picture of the high school's press box sign "Pasture of Pain". I'm struggling as I watch those 8 teammates graduate; they mean the world to me and I love them like my own. Our graduation is May 31st and then MY granddaughter becomes an "official SENIOR" :sad:! I've so enjoyed your photos (especially the tennis ones) this past year; congratulations on an outstanding high school career! Our granddaughter is SO like your daughter (currently she's also 2nd in her class) so I KNOW how super proud you are of her. I wish her the best as she begins this next phase of her young life! :tink:
Thanks so much Karolyn! I've enjoyed watching your granddaughter grow up through your photos. She's an amazing young lady for sure. I know you'll be right where I am next year, struggling to focus on your pride in her accomplishments while trying to hold back the tears. Thanks so much for the well wishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!