Parents of the Class of 2019

Dd will have her first dorm experience this weekend, she is taking the bus into NYC to visit her boyfriend at Fordham. He’s at the Bronx location, so she will uber from port authority to Lincoln center and take the Fordham shuttle. I hope it goes okay!

So after much agonizing (musical auditions don't usually take 1.5 weeks and 3 callbacks), DD now knows she is Fairy Godmother instead of Cinderella. It was always between her and one other girl. DD had felt like since she has been deeply involved in speech/drama/choir and of course a Disney kid who has played princess since she could talk, that this was meant to be for senior year. The other girl is a relative newcomer to the drama side, and usually went out for volleyball and couldn't commit to major roles in the past, so she wasn't a factor we thought.

After her third callback, the directors called DD in and told her they'd had her in mind for a *certain role* but then they saw her do so good in another role (Fairy Godmother) so they weren't sure. And that they were sure she'd get to do more productions in college, that "K" who is now in acting school didn't get a major role senior year but she owned the role she got, that she is so good they could use 10 of her etc. etc. basically prepping her for disappointment "but we haven't made any decisions yet". Which made for a miserable Wednesday night for her not knowing what to think and wondering if she'd sabotaged herself reading for FG.

Anyway, over the course of this she and her competitor have been becoming really good friends and had fun going to an XC meet together right after learning the news, and DD was pretty cool with the situation last night. Until she started looking into how much the FG appears in the musical and she's a little disappointed again. But it will be what it will be now and she is excited about the new friendship. And I told her she should still invite a certain someone to come down to watch, if he doesn't come it will be because he can't, not because of a lesser role.

Ah the world of drama ;) Thanks for listening!

@bjscheel, hugs to your DD for being a good sport! If she gets down again, remind her that every show is just one show, and every character is something to draw on later.

I have a niece who is also into theater, and the last time that happened to her, the teacher turned out to be right - she was the "supporting character" and absolutely stole the show! The other girl, who actually got the lead, never could have pulled the second character off, so the show as a whole turned out way better for the decision.

@bjscheel, hugs to your DD for being a good sport! If she gets down again, remind her that every show is just one show, and every character is something to draw on later.

I have a niece who is also into theater, and the last time that happened to her, the teacher turned out to be right - she was the "supporting character" and absolutely stole the show! The other girl, who actually got the lead, never could have pulled the second character off, so the show as a whole turned out way better for the decision.

Thanks, and yeah it usually works out even when casting isn't what you thought. Two years ago her friend wanted Seymour in Little Shop of Horrors, but got the dentist which is actually a lot more interesting than Seymour and he was fantastic- DD first thought the casting should be switched but our Seymour didn't have the big personality for the dentist role. And I hear FG is sassy and might have more character to get into, than Cinderella.

I'm excited because the speech coach is helping the choir teacher this year so it won't be up to our family to make sure set building started, or scramble for props and costuming last minute, like it was two years ago. She will be on top of things for him.

We cancelled the Virginia Tech tour that was scheduled for today - my wife was worried there would be flooding in the area, or, at minimum, it would be a miserable day there in the rain.

My wife had the day off anyways and our son was off today for an inservice day, so they went to Case Western for a visit instead, since it's local. It's a reach school for him (at best), but he still wanted to check it out.

We cancelled the Virginia Tech tour that was scheduled for today - my wife was worried there would be flooding in the area, or, at minimum, it would be a miserable day there in the rain.

My wife had the day off anyways and our son was off today for an inservice day, so they went to Case Western for a visit instead, since it's local. It's a reach school for him (at best), but he still wanted to check it out.
I have read some portions of I-95 are closed, so you may not have been able to get there anyway, depending on where you were coming from. Good call.

I posted a few weeks ago that my son wasn't willing to talk about anything college related, but I'm happy to update that he has decided on 3 schools that he is going to apply to (or finish applying to)!

School 1 is about six hours away and is a larger school, but he has visited it and he really liked it. He needs to do the essay and submit it, and his application will be finished there. School 2 is about two hours from home. It is a smaller school, which would be great for him, and it is the one DH & I are hoping he chooses. He has done one a visit there with his class and he liked it, although not as much as the first school. We are going to visit again next month. Both of these are a stretch for us financially, but we will find a way to make it work.

School 3 is his safety school, about an hour from home but far enough that he will have to live on campus. He knows a few people who go there and has done some things with one of the groups there over the last couple of years. I don't think he will be happy there, although it is more affordable than the other two that he likes. He has been there for different things but hasn't done an official visit.

Now to get him to register for the ACT next month and work on prep for that.

We cancelled out tours of Clemson and Emory for DD this weekend. Not because she's not interested (mostly Emory), but because this weekend is DD's homecoming, and she really wanted to go to the dance and parade with her friends. We do have a reschedule for Emory for mid-October and Vanderbilt the same weekend. DD got a 31 on her ACT from the 8th, but her math score did go up 2 points to a 28, so if anywhere superscores, that may be a good thing, although a superscored ACT would still be the same as her best score. This did rule out the idea of possibly going for early decision at MIT (always a reach, but ED has a better chance), so the prospect of being on the hook for that much tuition is at least gone!

We're closing in on those first applications!

She just scheduled a session with her tutor for her last SAT test ever! She hasn’t seen him in a while, so I’m not to optimistic. Her superstore is 1440, and I seem to recall 1450 as the magic number for some scholarships at some of the colleges. Her counselor is encouraging setting up some interviews (she’s very personable, there is no way I would’ve encouraged dd22 to interview, but she does have the personality for a CPA so it’s all good).

Since her SAT’s are lower than her ACT’s, if she doesn’t get them up, should she still submit them? She doesn’t have any reach schools on her list.

She just scheduled a session with her tutor for her last SAT test ever! She hasn’t seen him in a while, so I’m not to optimistic. Her superstore is 1440, and I seem to recall 1450 as the magic number for some scholarships at some of the colleges. Her counselor is encouraging setting up some interviews (she’s very personable, there is no way I would’ve encouraged dd22 to interview, but she does have the personality for a CPA so it’s all good).

Since her SAT’s are lower than her ACT’s, if she doesn’t get them up, should she still submit them? She doesn’t have any reach schools on her list.
Her SAT is still a very good score so if she doesn't have any reaches where that would affect her application, I would say send them. DS sent both his SAT and ACT scores. I don't know percentage-wise which is better but he got a 1410 on SAT and 31 on ACT (and was adamant that that was "good enough" and didn't take them again - and we didn't make him).

We've paid senior dues and he asked about getting the transcript form - partly bc they only accept payment in exact change cash and we need to be prepared! They aren't going to have those ready until next week. He sent all his recc requests out and according to the common app, one teacher has uploaded them already. So, moving right long...

I’m trying to remember when the deadline is for submitting applications not for early decision just regular?

How does your family handle traveling costs to come home from college? I think we will either pay half of a plane ticket or the whole fare. Have to discuss with DH. We would pay whole fare if we can afford.

We are still looking at some colleges next weekend then maybe one more school after that.

I think deadlines vary from school to school. And then there is a different one for consideration for scholarships.

I don't expect DD to be a plane flight away anymore, but when we were considering it, we were going to use SW points, so I guess we wouldn't expect her to pay for flights. We'll be paying for car/gas.

The last couple of days I've been looking for a dress for DD to wear in the musical. I found one on eBay that has the right look and have been haggling today as it was grossly overpriced but I can see I'm not going to get them down to the school budget. I can't find anything cheap that is good so I might just buy this one on my own and get it done with! DH is taking on the project of making Cinderella's carriage so as usual we will have some time and money investment in this anyway!

For the schools my son is looking at, Early Decision (binding) is November 1 or December 1. He's not applying to any schools under Early Decision.

Early Action (non-binding) is November 1 or December 1, and those are the dates that put you in contention for merit scholarships. Those are the dates he's planning to hit.

Then Regular Decision is usually ongoing through February, I think.

Dd’s teacher recommendations still haven’t been submitted and her requests were in the spring. She wants to be done before November first.We always covered transportation costs, but my older 2 were/are in state, commuter train is only around $11.

I think deadlines vary from school to school. And then there is a different one for consideration for scholarships.

I don't expect DD to be a plane flight away anymore, but when we were considering it, we were going to use SW points, so I guess we wouldn't expect her to pay for flights. We'll be paying for car/gas.

The last couple of days I've been looking for a dress for DD to wear in the musical. I found one on eBay that has the right look and have been haggling today as it was grossly overpriced but I can see I'm not going to get them down to the school budget. I can't find anything cheap that is good so I might just buy this one on my own and get it done with! DH is taking on the project of making Cinderella's carriage so as usual we will have some time and money investment in this anyway!
Kids pay $100 to be in the musical to pay for costumes, but can sell program ads to reduce or eliminate the cost. They usually hire an orchestra but have students play, as well. Dd is excited they are doing Newsies this year, as she just wants to be a featured dancer/singer. Last year they had a cast of 65, some kids just stood on risers behind a curtain and were part of the chorus. It was the first time the drama club chairman/English teacher directed (usually its the choir director), and he didn’t want to cut anyone.

thank you, I will look up each school’s deadline or DD might have that info recorded already.

We have our other daughter in college and transferring out of CC next semester to a Southern school so having both of them potentially needing flights home I’m not sure we can pay for that so they may have to contribute.

Kids pay $100 to be in the musical to pay for costumes, but can sell program ads to reduce or eliminate the cost. They usually hire an orchestra but have students play, as well. Dd is excited they are doing Newsies this year, as she just wants to be a featured dancer/singer. Last year they had a cast of 65, some kids just stood on risers behind a curtain and were part of the chorus. It was the first time the drama club chairman/English teacher directed (usually its the choir director), and he didn’t want to cut anyone.

Newsies would be fun, except for there aren't many girls in it! We don't have a lot of boys interested in musical theatre (literally like 5 or less) and it's a small school so we have to have smaller casts with few boys. (The director did think about Music Man two years ago before realizing the gender ratio of his students would not work for that.) Being in the musical doesn't necessarily cost anything to the kids but I tend to help out with the costumes and props if needed. They have a costume closet as well. I did end up buying the dress we like. Might as well be happy with her costume for senior year since this is her thing.

Tomorrow is Homecoming window decorating (in a store display window uptown) and DD seems to be heading that up so we are trying to brainstorm ideas for an ocean scene. DH told us to cut some small cedar branches and spray paint them coral to look like those plants on the ocean floor but we need something to stick them in. They'll probably twist some blue streamers for a watery background. I see she made a starfish out of play dough. They'll use carpet samples for sand. If you know of other ideas for ocean stuff that can be easily made of common materials, let me know!

I did end up buying the dress we like. Might as well be happy with her costume for senior year since this is her thing.

Good call!

Tomorrow is Homecoming window decorating (in a store display window uptown) and DD seems to be heading that up so we are trying to brainstorm ideas for an ocean scene. DH told us to cut some small cedar branches and spray paint them coral to look like those plants on the ocean floor but we need something to stick them in. They'll probably twist some blue streamers for a watery background. I see she made a starfish out of play dough. They'll use carpet samples for sand. If you know of other ideas for ocean stuff that can be easily made of common materials, let me know!

If you recently bought any electronics, there are sometimes large foam pieces that hold them in place in the boxes. It might work to spray paint those. Or maybe big pieces of floral foam from a gardening place?

Balloons can be fish, especially if they have a way to hang them from the ceiling, so they'll be a different depths:

Decoraci%C3%B3n-de-fiesta-con-tema-marino27.jpg

This is fun! Here are some more balloons, used as bubbles:
67ecdace157b8c2f3033ed2f7e578826.jpg

(also from Pinterest - I searched it as "ocean party decorations" and scrolled down.)

It looks like these are helium-filled, but I think you could blow them up yourselves and hang the strings from above instead.

(Or just put a few small ones on the fish strings? But I like the paper ones in the fish picture too!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts