Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

My dad gets done really early! She had her last exam tomorrow and then flies home tomorrow night. They have to be out of the dorms by 12/8 but can leave everything in their dorms. She goes back January 7. We feel like we were just dropping her off at the airport after Thanksgiving

We are in NJ and she goes to college in Florida so we are going to out there things in storage at the end of the spring semester

Wow! Packing up the entire room would be such a pain in the neck! My son isn't allowed in his room for break, but at least he can leave all his stuff there.
I'll have to ask my DD what the procedure is for winterbreak. She has a mini fridge so she might be required to clean it out and unplug it.

My DD is done with finals on the 16th. She will come home that night or on the morning of the 17th. She returns to school around the 20th

Her room mate moved out right before Thanksgiving. She was having issues with nextdoor dorm mates. My DD said her room mate started dabbling in pot and trying to borrow Id's to get into clubs. She's a minor who went crazy. DD is happy she moved out but nervous what the next room mate will be like.

I can't believe how fast this 1st semester flew by!

My dd just took her 1st and toughest final (multivariable calc - aka calc 3). She feels pretty good about it but is also very glad it's over. She has 2 more but they should be easy.

She has a new roommate after having the room to herself for almost 2 months. She isn't too happy but is making it work. She'll likely try for a single in February but I don't know how that will work out.

One more week and she's home for almost a month!!!

My son has taken two finals so far. He texted, "I think I survived," after the German one. He said that the Calc 2 one was tough but he was calculating points as he went along, and he's pretty sure he had enough to still get an A in the course. Chemistry is tomorrow, but he feels ready for that one.

His (minor) complaints about his roommate are getting more frequent, so I'm sure he's looking forward to being back in his own bedroom soon. The roommate is too noisy in the mornings, and he often leaves the door to the room open when my son is still sleeping. Yesterday, he "put some awful pine stuff on his shoes so the room smells awful" resulting in a headache. Then my son wanted to open the window to air it out, and the roommate deemed it too cold "even though the room is hot." He should join the petty whine thread. ;) It's good to learn to live with someone else. He and three other boys are looking to get a double-double next year, so hopefully that works and they're more compatible.

DD is working 32 hours this week at Target, finals week. But, her finals won't be that difficult for her so she's not worried. Last class is tomorrow. Starting today she is working 7 days in a row. Then a couple days off and works the 22nd, then off for Christmas weekend (yay!). She put the Friday shift on the app to see if anyone else would take it, if so she can have 6 days off at home. If not, she will commute the hour there and back from our house. She actually was off on next Tuesday, but picked up someone else's shift from the app for good mojo :)

The 22nd the girls' friend group is having a Christmas party. DD19 is not that excited about it so if she misses part due to work she doesn't care. I told her maybe this will be one of the last times her class participates much in these parties (Classes of 2017 and 2019 have a big friend group together). It's more DD16's scene than DD19's these days, especially if her BFF isn't there. Of course DD16 wants her to participate in everything still.

His (minor) complaints about his roommate are getting more frequent, so I'm sure he's looking forward to being back in his own bedroom soon. The roommate is too noisy in the mornings, and he often leaves the door to the room open when my son is still sleeping. Yesterday, he "put some awful pine stuff on his shoes so the room smells awful" resulting in a headache. Then my son wanted to open the window to air it out, and the roommate deemed it too cold "even though the room is hot." He should join the petty whine thread. ;) It's good to learn to live with someone else. He and three other boys are looking to get a double-double next year, so hopefully that works and they're more compatible.
My dd had a lot of complaints about her room mate. Her roommate moved out right before thanksgiving break. I guess she was having issues with the other two room mates they share the bathroom with. I'm glad she moved out because the roomie started partying, drinking and doing some type of weed :/ DD seems a lot more happier and at peace. She said everytime the room mate walked in dd would get anxiety. Now dd is just worried what type of new roommate she will get. Please keep her in your prayers that she gets a nice calm new room mate. DD really hope she doesn't get any new roomie but she knows she will.
She's home...and so is her dirty laundry!!!:laundy:

Over Thanksgiving break DD brought two large bags of landry and a medium bag. I'm sure she will bring the same amount or more. Plus she will bring her blankets and sheets-lol!

DD took finals lastweek. This week is actually finals week. She only had one on Tuesday and last one on Saturday. I think the program. classes she's in it was great that she had finals last week and this week it was broken up . the schedule showed a final a day M-th and sat, that way would have been more stressful

My dd is in the middle of her exams. She texted me last night that she is once again having problems with her laptop. We had a lot of issues with it and had it fixed a few times but it is starting again - arghhhh. We'll try one more time to get it worked on while she is home for break but we may just have to throw in the towel and get another one.

My dd is in the middle of her exams. She texted me last night that she is once again having problems with her laptop. We had a lot of issues with it and had it fixed a few times but it is starting again - arghhhh. We'll try one more time to get it worked on while she is home for break but we may just have to throw in the towel and get another one.
If you do buy a new laptop, see if your DD's university has a laptop purchase program. We bought both our kids' laptops through their university programs. They are guaranteed front of the line repair service and a loaner if their laptop breaks. The plan also insures against drops and spills. And the laptop is guaranteed to last all 4 years or it is replaced free of charge. DS (a 3rd year) has had to take his laptop in at least 2 times already because the internet card inside had come loose. He got the free loaner each time. The third time he took it in a couple of months ago, he was having screen issues. The tech people couldn't fix it, so they replaced it with a brand new (better) laptop. So worth buying it through the university!!!

Please keep her in your prayers that she gets a nice calm new room mate. DD really hope she doesn't get any new roomie but she knows she will.

Praying it works out great, it is so wonderful to have someone you can at least get along with, and better yet have fun with.

DD's laptop was shutting itself off while being charged. I hated to hear of any problem as we just bought it this summer and it is a MacBook Pro- not cheap- though I bought an older (but unused) model to save money. I looked it up online and we changed the sleep settings last weekend. So far so good. I love that there are so many fixes to be found on the internet.

DD continues to have trouble with a boy not getting the hint when she barely acknowledges his texts and keeps having excuses why she can't go out. She didn't want to come out and say she didn't want to date him, in case he was just trying to be friends, but last night at work he professed his "like-like" for her so now she needs to stop making excuses and come right out and say she doesn't want a relationship with him. She's just worried because she'll still have to work with him. What fun!

If you do buy a new laptop, see if your DD's university has a laptop purchase program. We bought both our kids' laptops through their university programs. They are guaranteed front of the line repair service and a loaner if their laptop breaks. The plan also insures against drops and spills. And the laptop is guaranteed to last all 4 years or it is replaced free of charge. DS (a 3rd year) has had to take his laptop in at least 2 times already because the internet card inside had come loose. He got the free loaner each time. The third time he took it in a couple of months ago, he was having screen issues. The tech people couldn't fix it, so they replaced it with a brand new (better) laptop. So worth buying it through the university!!!

Thank you. I will have her look into this.

Niece has mostly final papers, only two exams: one today (she's taking it right now) and one tomorrow. Then she comes home. Yay!

Thank you to anyone who sent good vibes DDs way for her audition. She doesn't have one of the main roles, but they recognized her dance skills and she got some great ensemble parts. For anyone familiar with Legally Blonde, she is a: Delta Nu/ Greek Chorus/ cheerleader/ workout video and prison dancer/ and she is the Salon Cashier- former Lakers girl in Bend and Snap.

Yesterday we got word that a senior boy at my DD's university hung himself the night before. Everyone, especially his fraternity brothers and friends, is devastated by this. I am praying for his friends and especially his family during this unimaginable time of loss. What makes a young person who seemingly has everything to live for do this?????

I talked to both my children to stress that life is NEVER so bad that suicide is the answer. My DD responded that after every rain storm there is a rainbow. Dis friends, please hug your children tightly and remind them of this again and again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter