Park attendance low today + candy canes!

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
Park attendance was relatively light today (see a few pics below from TL)! Great day and I got to watch the candy-cane-making process once again (tons of pics below).

My three good DL deeds for the day:

1. I was first in line for PP. If there's a kid behind me (and when isn't there at DL?) and they seem nice, I'll let them have my first place position. Did that this morning.

2. Helped an older couple from out of town who were slow get a great spot in line for PP. I had them join me and they got to ride second. They said that was a first for them. They'd been coming with some regularity since 1955!

3. I offered to help a mom take a pic with her daughter. In fact, I often offer to do that for couples/families taking pics.

Tons of pics below.

IMG_3713.JPG

This is the candy used to make the canes. After it's pulled on the hook, air is incorporated and it turns white. IMG_3647.JPG

IMG_3652.JPG

IMG_3655.JPG

This is the green and red candy used for striping. It's the same as the candy used to make the canes but they add the various colorings (red and green).
IMG_3660.JPG

IMG_3664.JPG

IMG_3668.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

Candy post-pulling. It's now white.

IMG_3685.JPG

IMG_3692.JPG

Last edited:
Cool pics! I wish I liked candy canes, they look so neat! It was so crazy yesterday, I'm surprised today was relatively light (but happy for anyone who is there today!).

Lastly, some general park pics (including my obligatory Buzz scoreboard pic ;-)).
FullSizeRender.jpg

Completely random -- they must have heard I was coming! ;-).

FullSizeRender[1].jpg

This dude is hardcore!
IMG_3610.JPG

IMG_3614.JPG

IMG_3615.JPG

The park moments after the gates opened.
IMG_3618.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

Tomorrowland was largely empty even by 10:30!
IMG_3625.JPG

IMG_3635.JPG

Last edited:

I'll be there (solo) for a few hours on Dec 12th. My flight is to land SNA at 8:47am. I plan to taxi straight to the parks.
DCA is scheduled to open at 8am. Do you think they'll be out of wristbands for candy canes by 9:30am?

I'd sure like to bring one home.

Geemo

It was relatively light until about 3pm. I took my candy cane and a Christmas ornament back to the room and when I came back the lines at the gates were past the monorail tracks and its very busy inside. Headind to DTD for dinner in a couple minutes. I expect that to be busy too.

I'll be there (solo) for a few hours on Dec 12th. My flight is to land SNA at 8:47am. I plan to taxi straight to the parks.
DCA is scheduled to open at 8am. Do you think they'll be out of wristbands for candy canes by 9:30am?
I'd sure like to bring one home.

Geemo

Hard to say. Didn't get one myself. I've been off sugar for about 30 years. But there's a fair chance. I wish you the best!

It was relatively light until about 3pm. I took my candy cane and a Christmas ornament back to the room and when I came back the lines at the gates were past the monorail tracks and its very busy inside. Headind to DTD for dinner in a couple minutes. I expect that to be busy too.

Sorry to hear that. I left around 1:30 and things were still pretty good.

One other cool thing from today. When I got to POTC around 9:30, the ride had just gone down. I decided to roll the dice and wait around to see if it would reopen soon. After about 10 minutes it did and I was the first on the ride! They let me have the front row even though I was a single rider. In fact, I got an entire boat to myself!

The Rob is in reference to a CM who passed away recently. He was a candy maker.

So sorry to hear this. We saw Rob supervising and helping with the candy cane making the day after Thanksgiving this year (and on several previous occasions as well). I'm assuming this is the Rob you are talking about?

He was an older gentlemen. Had made candy canes for last 38 years I believe.

Here's what I found about veteran DL candy-maker Rob McHargue:

"With hurting hearts the family of Rob McHargue regrets to inform you that our Candyman Rob - Master Candymaker for Disneyland has passed away. Rob has worked as a candy maker for over 43 years. He has invented many delicious, magical creations in the Main Street Candy Palace. Rob has touched many throughout his 63 years of life. He loved making candy at Disneyland, however, his true passion was working with children. For 38 years he has been a camp counselor at the Anaheim District Kids Kamp. Not only has he been a camp counselor he taught Caravan (scouting) and Vacation Bible School. Rob served as Secretary of his Church Board along with serving on the District Advisory Board.
Services are as follows:
Dec. 16, 2017 10:00-11:00am viewing
Celebration of Life at 11:00am
Garden Grove Church of the Nazarene
13411 Euclid Ave
Garden Grove, CA 92843"

Great pics, thanks for sharing! Those candy canes are huge! My DH is always offering to take peoples pics too, which they happily oblige. Funny, they never offer to take ours in return

light in the morning....we got a lot done before noon.
Went back later for dinner and it was very crowded.

Yes the mornings were awesome. We did so much. But the park gets busier and busier as the day goes on. Evening was packed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter