Park entrance and security changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got back and as for security at AK we did not go through security once while there. For some reason they waved anyone by that did not have a bag.
We went through at all other parks But not at AK. I thought it was strange.

Does this

Is this the same project at MK as the work that is being done near Tommorrowland Speedway but outside the park? We saw it when on the monorail between MK and Contemporary and it looks like terraces - could almost be an extension of the speedway track but I’m pretty sure the track isn’t being expanded.

Does this

Is this the same project at MK as the work that is being done near Tommorrowland Speedway but outside the park? We saw it when on the monorail between MK and Contemporary and it looks like terraces - could almost be an extension of the speedway track but I’m pretty sure the track isn’t being expanded.
That work on the side that you can see from the monorail is Tron related. They are building a new retaining wall and expanding the retention pond.

Since this has come up seems like a good place to point out that they've made changes in how you go through the metal detectors, when you do go through them.
They no longer have you place the items from your pockets in the round bins. Things like cell phones and wallets. You hold them in front of you, near your waist, as you walk through.
I know many worry about these items being out of their sight.

And they've redone the IG, pulling back the check point so it's further away from the ikd turnstile area. You know go through before the boat dock. They have a separate security check for those coming off the boats. They even built a new GS/Ticket counter (temporary I believe, until the Gondolas open, and the work is finished). From what I'm saw of where they've moved things, it's becoming obvious that you will go through security before boarding the Gondolas.

And of course, massive changes were done to HS security, in prep for GE I'm sure. Everyone is going through metal detectors now. It's designed much like the one coming out of the buses at MK

From what I'm saw of where they've moved things, it's becoming obvious that you will go through security before boarding the Gondolas.

I don't think so. I think the setup now at IG is pushed out further while construction is going on and will contract once done. People getting of the boats and those getting off the skylines will probably go through the same security points once everything is done.

We have gone through metal detectors at most parks every time during our two week trip now and they always told us to keep cell phones in pockets and you just put your bag (if you have one) on the table and they slide it over for you when you go through the detector. It takes a second to go through. I was surprised the phones don’t set them off but prob not enough metal or something.

I was surprised the phones don’t set them off but prob not enough metal or something.

I don't know what model metal detectors Disney is using, but I'm sure they are the higher end models. We have a few (older) higher end models where I work. They can be configured for overall sensitivity. They also have multiple zones (left/right side each split into vertical segments). Each zone can have it's own sensitivity as well.

With such a setup you can (for example) decrease the sensitivity in the zones around waist height to a level that cell phones would pass, but have a higher setting at the bottom to pick up a small metal object that might be hidden in a shoe.

When set off, the detector will light up which zone was triggered allowing security focus on the area during the additional screening.

I don't know what model metal detectors Disney is using, but I'm sure they are the higher end models. We have a few (older) higher end models where I work. They can be configured for overall sensitivity. They also have multiple zones (left/right side each split into vertical segments). Each zone can have it's own sensitivity as well.

With such a setup you can (for example) decrease the sensitivity in the zones around waist height to a level that cell phones would pass, but have a higher setting at the bottom to pick up a small metal object that might be hidden in a shoe.

When set off, the detector will light up which zone was triggered allowing security focus on the area during the additional screening.
Considering most people are more likely to carry weapons in their waistbands than their shoes, that seems like a weird example.

Are they not having people hold the phones flat as they walk through? When I was there it had to be held flat passing through (parallel to the ground), which I thought was the reason it worked because, I thought, the cross-sectional area that the metal detectors experience are reduced (thus they can calibrate sensitivity without missing larger items) thus by holding it flat you reduce that. While I agree each zone can be calibrated differently.

Also going through one each day at my office this is exactly what they have us do too, hold items flat. But if it can't be visually seen (in a box, etc) they inspect.

I'm all for anything that would make the wait for the security lines shorter. Last time I was at AK, although it was September-a traditionally slow time, the security lines were horrendous!
If only (I would dream) airports would set up Fastpass for their security lines and Disney would accept Precheck and Global Entry to speed up entry through theirs.

Considering most people are more likely to carry weapons in their waistbands than their shoes, that seems like a weird example.
Just giving an example based off the reports that people are either not taking the items out of their pockets or being asked to hod them at waist level. Even so, the amount of metal in a firearm (even the polymer models) is more than an average cell phone. Small blades on the other hand...

Just my observation...

About 50% of the time, I need to remove BELT at MK. Normal belt, metal buckle. No issues anywhere else.
So I make an effort to do the TSA STRIP, at the MK. I just do it, no verbiage, with Gate Guards yelling "you don't have to do that". Then dress myself at end of line, not moving until my property is returned.

That would be 2 trips per year, about 8 trips to MK per year, same issue for about 3 years.

Are they not having people hold the phones flat as they walk through? When I was there it had to be held flat passing through (parallel to the ground), which I thought was the reason it worked because, I thought, the cross-sectional area that the metal detectors experience are reduced (thus they can calibrate sensitivity without missing larger items) thus by holding it flat you reduce that. While I agree each zone can be calibrated differently.

Also going through one each day at my office this is exactly what they have us do too, hold items flat. But if it can't be visually seen (in a box, etc) they inspect.

No we were told several times to keep cell phones in our pockets so we did that every time entering parks on 14 days and many of those times entering more than once on a day. Never set the detectors off and never took out our phones if we had them in our pockets - which we usually did. It was very rare for us to not go through the metal detector. Occas at Hollywood studios they would turn us away at the detector. That is the only park we sometimes didn’t go through one.

I took this photo from the Epcot monorail platform. Looks like a foundation for a curved wall. I’m thinking this will be the tram turnaround and security will move under the monorail platform. 414229

Just my observation...

About 50% of the time, I need to remove BELT at MK. Normal belt, metal buckle. No issues anywhere else.
So I make an effort to do the TSA STRIP, at the MK. I just do it, no verbiage, with Gate Guards yelling "you don't have to do that". Then dress myself at end of line, not moving until my property is returned.

That would be 2 trips per year, about 8 trips to MK per year, same issue for about 3 years.
I’m like that with my Alex and Ani’s it’s a 50/50 crapshoot if they buzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!