Passing time while in line

disneyophile

Mouseketeer
I am a 57 year-old introvert planning my first solo trip for this fall looking for ideas:

I'm not terribly comfortable eating alone, so I thought counter service (rather than waiting at a table to be served) would be a better choice for me. I don't want to be that person with their nose in their phone while eating. How do other solos spend their meal time?

Waiting in line for an attraction: How do other solos spend that time to make it go quicker?

In past trip with 'the girls', when I was alone and tried getting out of my comfort zone by talking to someone who made eye-contact that appeared to be alone, my attempts have been met with the swooping in an apparent partner to intervene. LOL

When I went solo yes I chose QS meals.
Just people watched and ate.

Use FP+ to your advantage.
Especially being solo it will be easy to grab one after the other so minimal waiting.

When I didn't have a FP I just waited in line.
There are many conversations to listen to even if you don't join in.
In fact most people are wrapped up in their own vacation that they didn't notice I was even alone.
When someone addressed me I would make small talk.

I am a 57 year-old introvert planning my first solo trip for this fall looking for ideas:

I'm not terribly comfortable eating alone, so I thought counter service (rather than waiting at a table to be served) would be a better choice for me. I don't want to be that person with their nose in their phone while eating. How do other solos spend their meal time?

Waiting in line for an attraction: How do other solos spend that time to make it go quicker?

In past trip with 'the girls', when I was alone and tried getting out of my comfort zone by talking to someone who made eye-contact that appeared to be alone, my attempts have been met with the swooping in an apparent partner to intervene. LOL

I personally don't mind table service alone. I am quite used to eating alone, and will talk to servers if they are friendly enough. Otherwise, I check email or listen to music. As for standing in lines, it is what it is, but going solo you sometimes get to jump ahead a bit in line because they ask for single riders sometimes. Happened to me on Tower of Terror.

On my first solo trip I ate at mostly quick service or at the festival booths. But now I don't mind table service if it is a place I really want to eat at. I have found that if a table service restaurant has a bar or lounge that is a good option for eating too.

In line I usually just look around, look through photos on my phone, or update my trip journal. If people talk to me that's fine but sometimes it is just fun to be an eavesdropper on conversations.

I did a solo trip to shanghai last yr, and only did QS. I just ate while taking in the surroundings. There aren’t really FP opportunities after the am so wasn’t really on my phone as much.

But if I were in WDW I’d definitively be refreshing for SDFPs in line and while dining. As PP mentioned, I don’t think many people pay that much heed to someone sitting by themselves for a meal. It’s not like being the only kid a table at the school cafeteria. And most people would expect you to be buried in your phone... I’m discovering that even my 70s yr old parents who are anti tech are constantly on their phones now, and it was much the same everywhere I’ve been in other countries too. I’d probably spend some time chatting with family on a solo trip. Enjoy the freedom of being able to go on whatever attractions you wanted, wherever you wanted to dine, and whatever pace that suited you. That would be nice. I mean, I’d prefer to go with my wife. But I wouldn’t turn down a solo trip. And often don’t want to be part of a bigger group. Especially if I end up having to plan everything.

Do my 8th solo trip, this September. I started playing Pokémon Go this year to help pass time at Disney World. I was walking a ton anyways. I have also done stuff like played the Sorcerer’s of the Kingdom.

Most people are in their phones even in a group. I have done table service and quick service. Braved Biergarten twice and ended up having a good time with people that were seated with me.
Last trip spent a hour waiting the rain out on top of train station at Main Street waiting for HEA to start. Had a nice conversation with couple from Ireland on honeymoon.

Might be weird...if I'm in the stand-by line with a long wait, I actually read. I bring the small paperback book that I'm working on to the park and pull it out whenever. It passes the time VERY quickly, and I get to do another thing that I'm obsessed with (reading!).

I look for Hidden Mickeys in the area, or Imagineers' inside jokes. Sometimes they'll hide nods to other attractions they've worked on, or crossover movie references.
And I love people watching. Sometimes I play games like "Tourist or local" to see if I can tell the difference in park goers.
Then what others said, check my fast passes, reservations, send photos to friends not on the trip with me.

I look for Hidden Mickeys in the area, or Imagineers' inside jokes. Sometimes they'll hide nods to other attractions they've worked on, or crossover movie references.
And I love people watching. Sometimes I play games like "Tourist or local" to see if I can tell the difference in park goers.
Then what others said, check my fast passes, reservations, send photos to friends not on the trip with me.
“Tourist or local” is easy in nov/dec when locals are in coats and the Midwest folks are in t shirts and shorts. I don’t know if I’ve ever failed to find a new hidden Mickey in over 100 trips... I’m always on the look!

I often meet up with other solos for meals and/or park touring. When this fall are you going? If your trip overlaps with mine, you'd be welcome to join me at one of the meals where I still have an extra spot open in the dining reservation.

Might be weird...if I'm in the stand-by line with a long wait, I actually read. I bring the small paperback book that I'm working on to the park and pull it out whenever. It passes the time VERY quickly, and I get to do another thing that I'm obsessed with (reading!).

That was going to be my suggestion, too. I also love audiobooks. You can look around, take in the atmosphere, and listen to a book at the same time.

I read too. I have the kindle app on my phone to avoid carrying a book. It’s a great way to pass the time.

I ate at several TS restaurants on my solo trip. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. I did spend part of the time on my phone while eating. It doesn't feel rude when you're by yourself.

I'm not one to chat with people I don't know so most of the time while waiting in line I just took in all the details. I was perfectly content in my solitude. I don't generally wait in long lines, though.

Or I'd text friends a few photos, check wait times to plot my next move, place a mobile order, or try to get another FP.

On a few occasions I ended up talking to people in front of or behind me in line a little bit. It was usually college age students or young adults.

I'm typically on my phone either planning my next move or trying to get a fast pass for my next ride.

That's a really good idea. I never thought about doing reading in line.

“Tourist or local” is easy in nov/dec when locals are in coats and the Midwest folks are in t shirts and shorts. I don’t know if I’ve ever failed to find a new hidden Mickey in over 100 trips... I’m always on the look!
Hahah...yeah it is! Other times of year is a little harder. I rely on the degree of farmer's tan in most cases, and locals have a little bit more of a casual touring style. I suspect dis'ers would throw me off a bit.
And not only hidden Mickey's but other things too! Just this year I heard about the hidden Pascals by the Tangled restrooms. I'm not sure a restroom has been on my must-see list of any previous vacation in my life, but it sure is now!

I’m 59, very introverted and have been visiting the parks solo since our kids moved away-over ten years now. DH is not a theme park guy. Dining was definitely hard for me at first. I started with QS and have gradually become comfortable with TS.

I am pretty much “that person”. I’m not someone who enjoys talking to strangers and usually read on my phone when waiting in line or dining alone.

I am that solo person who eats at Table Service and Quick Service with their noise in a phone or a book and I make no apologies about it.

I choose restaurants based on menu and budget, I really dont care what people think about a solo eating at table service. This year for example I ate at Carthay Circle in California Adventures, one of the high end restaurants in Disneyland. I also eat at Blue Bayou every year, its my go to restaurant.

I have also been to the bar in Grand California solo and this year I went to Ogas Cantine solo.

I dont see why I should limit myself or miss out on experiences just because I am solo.

When I'm in line I people watch or talk to people ahead of me or behind me. Often times when I am near the boarding area of a ride, I ride before the people ahead of me, as the CM has called out for a single rider.

Do my 8th solo trip, this September. I started playing Pokémon Go this year to help pass time at Disney World. I was walking a ton anyways. I have also done stuff like played the Sorcerer’s of the Kingdom.

Most people are in their phones even in a group. I have done table service and quick service. Braved Biergarten twice and ended up having a good time with people that were seated with me.
Last trip spent a hour waiting the rain out on top of train station at Main Street waiting for HEA to start. Had a nice conversation with couple from Ireland on honeymoon.
I love Pokemon Go. Never too old.

Carry a small pocket sized game book, keeps you sharp. Like crossword puzzle or sudoku

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!