Paying for excursions when used Costco to book?

DisneyKeepsUsYoung

Mouseketeer
I know I have to pay for the cruise itself through Costco since I booked through them but once it comes time for excursions can I 1) book them myself on DCL website? 2) pay for them with Disney gift cards?
Also could I pay for tips with a Gift card? Trying to save up discount Gift cards and wondering what all I can pay for with them to save $. Thanks!

You can book your own excursions even if booked through a TA (including Costco). And port adventures aren't charged until you are onboard at which time you may use cash, credit card or Disney gift cards to settle the balance of your onboard account.

Enjoy your cruise!

We booked through Costco on our last cruise. You still book yourself on the DCL website and anything booked on the ship goes to whatever you use as your on board payment type. I put money from my Disney Visa on our room account and that was used up first. Then anything went on my credit card after that.

You can book your own excursions even if booked through a TA (including Costco). And port adventures aren't charged until you are onboard at which time you may use cash, credit card or Disney gift cards to settle the balance of your onboard account.

Enjoy your cruise!
Thank you! I was thinking I'd have to pay something to reserve my spot. Nice to know I have a bit longer to pay! Although I guess not too long since we are first time cruisers so can't book excursions as early as most.

We booked through Costco on our last cruise. You still book yourself on the DCL website and anything booked on the ship goes to whatever you use as your on board payment type. I put money from my Disney Visa on our room account and that was used up first. Then anything went on my credit card after that.
Thanks! So do you go to guest services to put a set gift card amount on your room account? Then give a CC for if you go over?

Thanks! So do you go to guest services to put a set gift card amount on your room account? Then give a CC for if you go over?

You can. Or you can purchase OBC ahead of time with the gift card. Or you can just use a credit card period.

You can. Or you can purchase OBC ahead of time with the gift card. Or you can just use a credit card period.
I can do it ahead of time? Do I just call DCL directly once my cruise is closer? Not having to stand in line on vacation sounds better to me!

I know I have to pay for the cruise itself through Costco since I booked through them but once it comes time for excursions can I 1) book them myself on DCL website? 2) pay for them with Disney gift cards?
Also could I pay for tips with a Gift card? Trying to save up discount Gift cards and wondering what all I can pay for with them to save $. Thanks!
I haven't used Costco, but even though I book through a TA, I can still pay for the cruise itself with discounted gift cards. I just have to use the TA's web site to enter the card information. I would guess you could use gift cards through Costco as well.

I can do it ahead of time? Do I just call DCL directly once my cruise is closer? Not having to stand in line on vacation sounds better to me!

You can purchase on board credit. It is not directly paying for excursions. The number is listed under Gifts and Amenities on the DCL website.

I haven't used Costco, but even though I book through a TA, I can still pay for the cruise itself with discounted gift cards. I just have to use the TA's web site to enter the card information. I would guess you could use gift cards through Costco as well.
Oh really?! I just assumed I had to put it on a real Visa. I'll have to look into that. Every little bit helps!!

Oh really?! I just assumed I had to put it on a real Visa. I'll have to look into that. Every little bit helps!!

You can use gift cards with Costco. You won't be able to enter them on their website, so you'll need to call them, and they will get Disney on the phone. Your will then essentially have a three-way conversation with Disney communicating the gift card numbers. You do want to consolidate them into as few as possible to help prevent errors.

It's a lot quicker to do it on the ship than it is to do it via phone. Any times besides embarkation day and disembarkation day, lines at Guest Services are short with only brief (if any) waits. There is often no line at all, and the ship CMs know just what to do. Getting Costco, then Disney, on the phone so that a Disney phone rep can process your transaction takes a lot longer.

I was thinking I'd have to pay something to reserve my spot.

For after you cruise and when you realize you love cruising, and if you go further afield than Disney, know that that is not how ever cruiseline does it. On Disney you don't pay in advance, and have a big bill at the end of the cruise. On some other lines you pay up front and have a smaller bill. (or at least a bill that doesn't include those things LOL)

It's a lot quicker to do it on the ship than it is to do it via phone. Any times besides embarkation day and disembarkation day, lines at Guest Services are short with only brief (if any) waits. There is often no line at all, and the ship CMs know just what to do. Getting Costco, then Disney, on the phone so that a Disney phone rep can process your transaction takes a lot longer.

If you've combined the gift cards on disneygiftcard.com into 1 (or 2 if your party is that big or your excursions are that expensive), it does NOT take that long. For February 2017 I had one gift card and it took less than 5 minutes from the moment I dialed the phone.

If you've got a huge stack of $25, $50 or $100 cards, then it's going to take a while anywhere. And no one is going to like you very much - either at guest services or on the phone.

If you've combined the gift cards on disneygiftcard.com into 1 (or 2 if your party is that big or your excursions are that expensive), it does NOT take that long. For February 2017 I had one gift card and it took less than 5 minutes from the moment I dialed the phone.

If you've got a huge stack of $25, $50 or $100 cards, then it's going to take a while anywhere. And no one is going to like you very much - either at guest services or on the phone.
The time it takes is to get both set of reps on the phone.

The time it takes is to get both set of reps on the phone.

Why would you need both sets? Anyone can purchase through the Gifts and Amenities line - you don't need a TA to do that. I could have ordered something for my parents for their Alaska cruise - all you need is the name and reservation number and cruise date. And I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a G&A representative - definitely waited longer than that at Guest Services.

Thank you! I was thinking I'd have to pay something to reserve my spot. Nice to know I have a bit longer to pay! Although I guess not too long since we are first time cruisers so can't book excursions as early as most.
In general that is true. We are doing the first DCL Bermuda cruise leaving shortly, and one of the excursion had to be paid up front and was non-refundable. I was surprised by that. I was used to just selecting the excursion we want and being able to cancel up to 3 days before the cruise. The one my daughter wanted to do with us and her family was https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...-bermuda-private-pontoon-rental-with-captain/ The key phrase in the Know Before You Go section was "All private boat bookings are nonrefundable."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter