Pearl Harbor and North Shore/Horseback Riding in one day?

RedStars

DIS Veteran
We're at Aulani 4 nights (including the day we arrive from the east coast so I'm not really counting it...). I have two 1-day rentals booked (we're not DVC so I didn't want to pay parking and there isn't a discount from 1-day to 2-day so it as cheaper to book 2 separate rentals).

I had planned 1 resort day, 1 day at PH (really a half day), 1 day North Shore (including horseback ride). Now I'm thinking of combining the PH/North Shore trip into one day. It would probably be a Friday, if it matters.

I'm looking to get the rental right at 7a and I just read that we can return the car to valet after 5pm so I'm not stressed about getting back to resort for 5.

We've done PH before but this time we're going with the kids so I'm thinking (if we get the 11am tour tickets) we could go to the aviation museum or Missouri before the Arizona tour (but I'm ok with skipping those) and then leave after (so Noon-ish?). We could get a horseback ride for 2pm, and then do dinner on the north shore.

Is this doable? Anyone with experience on this?

I'd prefer 2 resort days if we can make it happen...

Note: I know I could spend many hours at PH (but that's not something I want to do) AND I also know the horseback ride will be nose-to-tail but my 8yo is dreaming about riding a horse on the beach so.... lol

Last edited:
I went to PH Sunday a week ago. We got there at 9:15. We had 11am tickets and when we got there they asked if we wanted to go at 9:45. We did and then did the narrated tour afterwards. We left about noon and headed to NS to Haleiwa. We went to the Shrimp truck and then did some shopping. We got to Aulani around 4. I think if you get there early and plan to leave by noon you would be able to do it

uh you might want to look into the age restriction for horseback riding. I can't think of too many places that are going to allow an 8 year old to do it. Kualoa ranch the minimum age is 10 for example. That said, you are putting too much into one day. You have at least one kid with you, that kid is 8 years old, you are coming from the east coast so you likely will have a 5 hour time change. 5pm dinner is going to be 10pm back home. Your 7am start sounds great but your kid if they are like mine is going to be up at 2am (7am back home) and by the time 7am comes around its going to feel like lunch time

I already have a booking with a ranch that allows 8yos to ride (I found 4 different places).
Luckily my kids are great sleepers and when we've crossed time zones in the past, they do great.

Plus, nothing like a nap in the back of a convertible! Lol

Traffic is often a factor, so I would probably keep your original plan and just enjoy the Island. It's doable, but traffic can be frustrating getting out of town, especially between Pearl and the highway north. We wanted to drive Pali last year, but a landslide closed it for the week. And naturally, on the way to Aulani I got turned around and took the wrong exit at some point. There's tons to do near Pearl too - head into Waikiki and check out the strip, the Zoo and Aquarium, Diamond Head itself. And on the North Shore there's also the Dole Plantation to explore before/after riding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!