Pearl Harbor With Kids

Strikan

Mouseketeer
We are going to Aulani in July and I really want to see Pearl harbor. My daughters are 7 years old. I would love to get some feedback on whether Pearl Harbor is suitable for kids that young. Also, if folks did take young kids, how they might have talked about the experience before you went. Many thanks.

it's obviously a wonderful historic stop, so maybe talk about the events of the day before you go, so they can understand the significance of the site.

That said, if they are super sensitive kids, the fact that so many men were lost there, and entombed there, might be really bothersome for them. It's emotional for most adults. The film before the boat to the Arizona has actual footage from that day, some of it not pretty (I recall a dead Japanese soldier in one snip), though your 7 year old might not even catch on that it's real footage. When you get to the Arizona you're expected to show reverence - not silence - but respect. There usually is a ranger there to talk to, but again, they don't sugar coat any of it, so your kids might find some of that disturbing. It was a brutal attack and it's not helpful for any of us to water it down.

Mostly though, the memorial park area is a lot of walking around, looking at plaques, reading historical info. My kids would have found it ridiculously boring at age 7.

My son was 7 when we went last year, and he found it very interesting. Prior to the visit, we read the "I Survived Pearl Harbor" book together, and we also talked about how it is important to be respectful while there. My son was very interested in the film, and he really enjoyed listening to a veteran speak out on the Memorial itself. He also really enjoyed walking through the Bowfin. We spent most of the morning there.

I visited with my 3 kids when they were 12, 9, and (just turned) 7. The movie you watch before heading to the memorial helped them understand. I doubt my 7 year fully understood what we were seeing, even though we had all talked about it before we went. You know your kids best, but I think 7 is an appropriate age.

depends on the kid, the Arizona memorial is really not that cool, but if your kids are into it the bowfin audio tour, the Missouri battleship tour and to a lesser degree, the pacific aviation museum are pretty darn amazing if you have a tour guide (or audio tour like the submarine)

I don't know about the Arizona being "cool" but if your child has any connection to it at all, like reading about it, understanding it's significance, etc, it is a deeply moving place that touches most Americans and is something they never forget.
It is extremely well done, interesting and absolutely worth doing.
I will take it one step further and say it should be done - if for no other reason than to respect those that gave.

Thank you all for your replies. I agree that it should be done. I think I will take them with some proper preparation before. Many thanks all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!