Pearl Harbor

Paflyers

Mouseketeer
I am in the process of planning our Honeymoon for Feb, 2020. I have already booked our room at Aulani. My other half would really like to see Pearl Harbor. Do you recommend doing the tour Aulani has setup for Peral Harbor, or should we rent a car for the day and go at it on our own? Also, anyone that has rented at car at the resort for just one day, do you recommend setting it up before you go or just go to the counter once you get there and see what days they might have available? We don't plan to travel around much, since we want to relax and do pretty much nothing the whole week, however we do want to take this one tour. I do know that if wanted to do any more exploring, there are other tours that Aulani offers. So on top of Pearl Harbor, my question is, which do you think would be the better option renting a car or booking the tours offered at the resort?

We've done Pearl Harbor twice now, both times with a car. The advantage is that you go on your schedule and you have the opportunity to go to a restaurant for lunch afterwards, or do whatever else you might want to do in the area.

Also, anyone that has rented at car at the resort for just one day, do you recommend setting it up before you go

Set it up before you go. They can and do run out of cars at times.

IMO, the only advantage of taking the tour from Aulani is that (I believe) they facilitate getting the tour tickets for you. You don't have to log on 60 days in advance to try and secure a tour time, and you don't have to show up at 7am to get in the standby line for a tour time.

There are so many different websites that offer tours, where is the best place to order your tickets from?

I am in the process of planning our Honeymoon for Feb, 2020. I have already booked our room at Aulani. My other half would really like to see Pearl Harbor. Do you recommend doing the tour Aulani has setup for Peral Harbor, or should we rent a car for the day and go at it on our own? Also, anyone that has rented at car at the resort for just one day, do you recommend setting it up before you go or just go to the counter once you get there and see what days they might have available? We don't plan to travel around much, since we want to relax and do pretty much nothing the whole week, however we do want to take this one tour. I do know that if wanted to do any more exploring, there are other tours that Aulani offers. So on top of Pearl Harbor, my question is, which do you think would be the better option renting a car or booking the tours offered at the resort?

Paflyers if you go to Pearl Harbor unless thy fix.Uss Arizona Memorial the boat won’t take you on the tour for the memorial.A boat hit it two years ago so as okwlover put the site.See what it says.Best of luck on your marriage.

Dabronxx, it is actually a corrosion issue that has made the Memorial off limits at the moment. You still watch the movie then a launch takes you out and around the Arizona with a narration during the trip.

There is so much to see at Pearl Harbor - all depends on how long you want to spend there. My 10yo son and I were there for close to 8hrs last year visiting all the sites.

I enjoyed the tour of the USS Missouri (still floating) much more than the cruise around the USS Arizona (sunk).

-Paul

Getting a car enables you to do whatever. But a trip to Pearl usually leave you a little tired from walking and the humidity/heat of the island. So having Aulani take you there and bring you back isn't so bad.

Definitely see the USS Missouri. Everyone does the Arizona tour, which is great. And most people will at least go to the Submarine memorial (without going in the sub). But the Mighty Mo was the highlight for me. You'll husband will love it when he gets to the sight of the deck where the surrender of WW2 was signed. Pretty amazing feeling. Take one of the free tours...and if possible, get it from one of the old men. They seem to feel the history better than the young guides.

Ah, and our family loved going inside the sub. Lots of ducking to avoid pipes and get through low doorways, but an amazing look at what it must have been like to live and work in one.

Does anyone have a recommendation for lunch either on the way to or near Pearl Harbor? Has anyone eaten at the cafe or restaurant there?

We ate on the Missouri for lunch when we went the first time - it is just burgers but good. This time we stayed a full day to tour the Arizona, Museum, Missouri and the Bowfin. Glad we did this - I wasn't a big fan going in but it was really interesting. I would get a car - but on Oahu I would have a car the whole time anyway. Pearl, the Palace, North Shore, Bishop Museum, Waikiki - too much to see to be tied to the resort only. Leonard's had their truck out on our way there in a random parking lot - so we stopped for Malasadas for breakfast! Yum! Restaurants over there are not plentiful - but if it is your one day with a car make a reservation for a nice dinner on Waikiki (I personally am a fan of Duke's).

We ate on the Missouri for lunch when we went the first time - it is just burgers but good. This time we stayed a full day to tour the Arizona, Museum, Missouri and the Bowfin. Glad we did this - I wasn't a big fan going in but it was really interesting. I would get a car - but on Oahu I would have a car the whole time anyway. Pearl, the Palace, North Shore, Bishop Museum, Waikiki - too much to see to be tied to the resort only. Leonard's had their truck out on our way there in a random parking lot - so we stopped for Malasadas for breakfast! Yum! Restaurants over there are not plentiful - but if it is your one day with a car make a reservation for a nice dinner on Waikiki (I personally am a fan of Duke's).
Thank you! We will have a car for our entire stay on the island.

We had lunch at Dixie BBQ after our visit because 14 days without sweet tea was too much for me!! It was perfectly serviceable BBQ but all the sides were very good, even their fried okra. It’s maybe a mile or two from the Arizona; google if you’re interested.

I was stupid and booked the Waimea Falls tour through the hotel my first visit. It was about $130 per person, and since there were 2 of us it would have paid for the entire week for the rental car. It was billed as an Adventures by Disney tour so included lunch and a few local crafts. Definitely was not worth it for us, so this year I just drove my mother up myself.

As far as Pearl Harbor goes, if you don’t get the tix in advance, don’t stress about it. Just show up early the day you want to go. We got here at 9:30 this morning using the Waikiki Trolley and got tickets for the 9:45 movie/boat as walk ups.

If there is a cruise ship in port we were told PH is even more crowded. We were there recently on one of those days. Arrived approx 6:45 pm, line already length of a football field but moved quickly.

We have the passport tix which I obtained 60 days prior. When we went to tix booth after security, they moved us to the 7:40 am tour for the Arizona. The launch doesn’t go as close now as it did earlier this year as contract to repair finally in place & the divers are working on it.

Supposedly, it will be finished by rememberance day this December. I wouldn’t hold my breath there but still was an amazing day. If doing the Missouri, head directly to the shuttle after the AZ, again to beat the crowds.

As for food, most workers there tended to recommend the site at the aviation museum. It was decent with some imaginative offers other than burgers & hot dogs, noticed lots of employees eating there.

If you are only renting a car for the one day it can be a hassle. When we rented our car there was a line out the wazzooo and it took like 2 hours to get it. So it really depends on how much time you have and if you plan on doing other things while you are there.

Any idea still on how long til it opens back up to walk Arizona memorial? My parents want to try to make the trip from our trip in Maui and I almost wonder if its worth it. I mean maybe if they don’t plan to ever make it back it might be. I thought it would be open by now. It’s been closed what a year at least?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter