"Penciled In" I just don't get it :/

rrali33tt

Mouseketeer
I have read about this being "penciled in" concept and it confuses me so much! It seems like being "penciled in" doesn't mean anything. For example, if I call today for a wedding 16 months from now, and then you call 3 months from now for the same day/time/place, then we would be put into a lottery? It kinda makes calling before 12 months pointless.

If you call after me, do they tell you someone is "penciled in" for that time slot and suggest you pick another day or do they put everyone who calls before 12 months in for the same day/time and draw a lottery on the 12 month mark?

It would depend on where you are having the events held. With the new rules being put into place (starting for 2013 weddings) (ie. 12 month lotteries instead of 16), it might be best to just make the call to DFTW now.

Plus, it never hurts. We did our first call 18 months out, and have been working with a consultant since! It's GREAT! And it helps relieve a lot of the stress.

Being penciled in is just that.. They put you down on the calendar, but nothing can be official under any lotteries or contracts are signed. But absolutely get the ball rolling now.

I personally say call now. It only helps your situation and could get you what you want easier.

I'm guessing you changed your first post after posting.. haha!

Anyways, to answer your other question...

Everyone who calls in for a date will be penciled in. They won't say others have it. So, if I choose 11/11/11 for 2:30pm ceremony, and you do too, it doesn't matter, they will have us both penciled in. It's not until the lottery, when they will say who actually has what times.

But I think if you ask a few days before the lottery (or maybe earlier), they could tell you how many people also have that time/date.

I was in a lottery, and we didn't get the time or date we wanted because of another couple requesting the same date/time. But it happens.

But again, call now.. never hurts to get a little Disney excitement going early!

Everyone who calls in for a date will be penciled in. They won't say others have it.

When I called, she (stacey meachum?) said something along the lines of "It looks like nobody else has asked for that date and time at SBP yet. If someone does, do you have any other times you would prefer?" blah blah blah and she said she would keep me informed if others tried to book the same exact date/time/place...

When I called, she (stacey meachum?) said something along the lines of "It looks like nobody else has asked for that date and time at SBP yet. If someone does, do you have any other times you would prefer?" blah blah blah and she said she would keep me informed if others tried to book the same exact date/time/place...

When I called for our original date, the girl said no one else had requested it yet, but she mentioned nothing about alternates or telling me if someone else asked. I think that portion depends on who you talk to, but they will write down the times and locations you want for sure.

I would absolutely call early. It gives you the chance to be connected with a consultant who can answer a lot of questions and maybe even give you some ideas for things you're stuck on.

My consultant told me that no one els had requested my locations/times yet and I checked in monthly to see if anyone else had up until our 16 month mark. Pencilling in used to mean (for 2012 brides), that no other couple could take your locations between 16 and 12 months. Conventions could still bump you. I think it's worth it to call even with the new rules as you're sort of claiming your territory and monitoring the situation. I was terrified of a lottery and probably would have switched to a spot that had no competition if I learned of a conflict before lottery time came.

I hated being "penciled in".
We were hoping to get the date exactly one year from our engagement. When I called they told me that one other bride had already booked that date so if I chose to stay with that date there would be a lottery. DF and I discussed it, and chose the day before instead, (it had nobody and was a Thursday). I figured I'd call closer to the lottery date and if another bride wanted my new date then we would change back to the original seeing as we would have to be in a lottery either way.
In the end, we were the only couple who wanted the WP for the Thursday before our engagement date - which was fine - but I did find the lottery stressful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter