People get on buses at DS keep resort guests from getting to parks

While there might not be scheduled runs from Magic Kingdom back to all resorts in the morning, the system is supposed to look as if there were. Still I have suggested that guests go through the motions of seeking out a bus supervisor at the bus platform and asking about the next bus* when heading back to their resorts early in the morning.

So I would regard the van trip you got back to your resort as normal service, not a favor.

I have never been asked to show a room key or an ID to board a Disney bus. But Corey Sandler, author of some of the Econoguide tour books, wrote sometime around 1987 that "Disney sells a transportation-only pass."

I think you will need to have stayed at other resorts or have gotten trip reports from relatives and friends to compare the bus service with that of other resorts.

When guests are left behind by a full bus, then the service on that route should be quietly increased. This should include from Saratoga Springs to the parks if/when off site guests park at Disney Springs. It would be an optional back stage activity on Disney's part to analyze the situation, inhibit day guests from walking over to SSR, and adjust service back down. While I have heard of on-paper (funny money) payments by resorts to Disney Transport as a separate department, this should be "for bus service" and not "for each bus."

If bus service is on average worse for SSR compared with other resorts, where consistently better service at certain times does not make up for consistently worse service at certain other times, then complaints are appropriate and addressable.

* Admittedly a question similar to "What time is the 3 o'clock parade?"

Last edited:
Good gravy, that vlog is painful. They could have told that story in a third of the time. It’s like my husband’s work stories.

I don’t use the buses, and this kind of crazy rigamarole is a big reason why.

What I also find frustrating is since the DS buses don't start at the parks until 4:00 p.m., the guests are getting on SSR buses to then walk over to DS. I got on an SSR bus from MK at 3:30 p.m. in February. I was one of the last people on, and had to stand. However, I did get frustrated as an SSR owner, when no less than 4 different groups came up to the driver to ask what stop to get off at to walk to DS. Unfortunately, he told them the correct stop. I was ready to tell them Grandstand, so they would have the furthest walk possible.

My dues are paying for those buses and there were so many DS people heading to dinner reservations that I couldn't even sit down (I know, I could have waited). I thought I remembered years and years ago having to show my pass or something to get on the bus. Does anyone else remember that?

So you believe that simply because people don’t know what stop to get to springs it means they aren’t staying there? Hmm.

I own at bay lake, have stayed at ssr a few times, and for the life of me could not tell you what stop to take to walk to Disney springs. Fwiw.

So you believe that simply because people don’t know what stop to get to springs it means they aren’t staying there? Hmm.

I own at bay lake, have stayed at ssr a few times, and for the life of me could not tell you what stop to take to walk to Disney springs. Fwiw.

I am pretty sure they weren't staying at SSR, but couldn't guarantee it. However, as an SSR owner, I have seen many times that people on the DIS are encouraged to use SSR buses as a way to and from DS/Parks. When we have buses that might be full before the last stop into the parks, we certainly don't need extra people from DS using SSR as a bus stop.

Not sure if this had been mentioned but Downtown Disney at DLR finally instituted a policy to keep themepark visitors from parking there- free 2 hour parking with a $20 purchase. 2 additional hours free with a table service validation. Parking without a validation for even a couple hours is more $$ than the theme park parking areas. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to park there now!

I am pretty sure they weren't staying at SSR, but couldn't guarantee it. However, as an SSR owner, I have seen many times that people on the DIS are encouraged to use SSR buses as a way to and from DS/Parks. When we have buses that might be full before the last stop into the parks, we certainly don't need extra people from DS using SSR as a bus stop.

Do you think the powers that be are unaware of that shortcut? I doubt it. Maybe what needs to happen is that the people that stay/own at SSR need to be very vocal about the problem. Because with the way things are set up, there is no way to stop it.

Do you think the powers that be are unaware of that shortcut? I doubt it. Maybe what needs to happen is that the people that stay/own at SSR need to be very vocal about the problem. Because with the way things are set up, there is no way to stop it.
They are quite aware. Several times over my 9 years of driving, the word went out to bus drivers that they should not recommend taking SSR buses to get to DTD.

They are quite aware. Several times over my 9 years of driving, the word went out to bus drivers that they should not recommend taking SSR buses to get to DTD.
As an SSR owner, I appreciate hearing this. I think most of the recommendations come from DIS members, more than from WDW employees.

Good gravy, that vlog is painful. They could have told that story in a third of the time. It’s like my husband’s work stories.

I don’t use the buses, and this kind of crazy rigamarole is a big reason why.

Agree with you about that blog.

As far as buses from Disney Springs, yea, they probably need to institute a parking fee there. Everybody & their brother is trying to save a dime, so of course people are going to try & avoid the parking fee if they can.

However, I don’t agree that just because someone is not a vacation club member, they shoudn’t be taking a bus to any resort on property & walk somewhere from there. Disney transportation is also included in resort fees & park tickets. There are no restrictions. I sometimes walk to Contemporary to take a DS bus. That is allowed & included in my stay.

There are 2 vacation club resorts in the EPCOT area. But anyone who wants to get to the International Gateway entrance from MK can take a bus to Beach Club or Boardwalk to get there. Anyone at Disney Studios can take the boat there too. Vacation club members have no right to complain that anyone else is using those transportation options, because Disney transportation is open to all. I have never read anything about the vacation club contract guaranteeing anyone exclusive, restricted transportation options.

Our recent visit I learned something I never thought about. I met 2 separate families that’s both were happy to tell me they live near the resort. They park at Disney springs and take the transport to resort ( we were at POR) and use the pool/ bathrooms/ foodcourt.
No one checks.. I was so taken aback.
And we pay for the amenities And the parking ... crazy
I wonder if all the resorts deal with this?

Our recent visit I learned something I never thought about. I met 2 separate families that’s both were happy to tell me they live near the resort. They park at Disney springs and take the transport to resort ( we were at POR) and use the pool/ bathrooms/ foodcourt.
I mean, yeah, it sounds like some local families plan birthday parties at the Disney pools. I’m not local, I don’t know this for a fact. I’ve just heard speculation.

Using the food court though, that’s not an issue- that’s allowed.

Well, food options are open to anyone. Disney wants that money. Pools are supposed to be for guests of that resort only. I have read stories about locals or other resort guests using pools they don’t belong at for years. Some resorts are better than others about that. StormAlong Bay @ Y & B is gated & you have to get your magic band scanned when you enter for example. Poly is a big draw from MK guests too from what I’ve read. I don’t know the current procedure there, but I guess life guards used to go around periodically asking to see your room key & you were made to leave if you were’t a resort guest. I think how often it happens depends on the particular pool.

Or (at DS) separate buses into resort guest use/ADR only, with separate line for non resort guest-and those buses from DS do not start running until 11 am and serve multiple resorts. With MB and MDE wouldn't be that hard to implement.
As a resort guest, DS springs hotel guest, offsite guest I understand what I can expect - offsite may mean theme park parking has to be paid.

Pools are supposed to be for guests of that resort only. I have read stories about locals or other resort guests using pools they don’t belong at for years. Some resorts are better than others about that. StormAlong Bay @ Y & B is gated & you have to get your magic band scanned when you enter for example. Poly is a big draw from MK guests too from what I’ve read. I don’t know the current procedure here, but I guess life guards used to go around periodically asking to see your room key & you were made to leave if you were’t a resort guest. I think how often it happens depends on the particular pool.
Do people just not feel embarrassed anymore about trying to cheat the rules?? Or getting caught?
Think Poly and BC both have pretty strict entrance guards-at BC you get a colored wristband of the day as well.

Not sure if this had been mentioned but Downtown Disney at DLR finally instituted a policy to keep themepark visitors from parking there- free 2 hour parking with a $20 purchase. 2 additional hours free with a table service validation. Parking without a validation for even a couple hours is more $$ than the theme park parking areas. You wouldn’t believe how easy it is to park there now!

Yep. They had to charge for parking at Downtown Disney parking now because of all the SoCal Annual Pass people who illegally parked in the lot. They'd do their two hours and leave without needing to pay, or leave and come back in then do another two hours. I'm friendly with several CMs at the park, since we pretty much go exclusively on Sunday mornings to the park. Makes me embarrassed to be a local with an annual pass, but I buy the one with the parking included.

Do people just not feel embarrassed anymore about trying to cheat the rules?? Or getting caught?
Think Poly and BC both have pretty strict entrance guards-at BC you get a colored wristband of the day as well.

I have been going to Disney World since the early 90s. I know really early on, resort guests could pool hop, but as far as I remember, that stopped before we started going. But I have read about non resort guests using pools (or trying to) as far back as I can remember. So it isn’t new. I don’t know if it is more blatant now or not. But people really don’t seem to get embarrassed any more. Instead, they just deflect away from themselves. It’s always someone else’s issue, never them who does something wrong. :sad2:

Last edited:
I've stayed at SSR many times. I have to say that I really haven't noticed a ton of people hopping on the bus at Congress Park. At least, no more than at any other stop. And I haven't noticed a ton of people getting off there, or at the Springs stop. I haven't seen hordes of people trekking across the bridge and down the walking path from DS to SSR...it's a pretty good hike from the parking garages. I suppose they can hop on a bus at DS, early in the morning and then go to MK that way, via SSR.
But, in all reality? It just doesn't happen all that often. Yes, a few people do it, but not enough to get upset about. This is beginning to sound the same as the argument those staying at MK resorts use when talking about the resort monorail line....only those staying at the resorts should use that line, it shouldn't even stop at the TTC because so many people pile on at the end of the day.
And paying to park at DS? Sure hope not. We like to go there and just walk around, have a bite to eat maybe. It's bad enough that I have to pay to park my car at my resort now, I just won't go to DS if they start charging to park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!