people getting upgraded to DVC resorts

Sherri

DIS Veteran<br><font color=deeppink>I never though
I am a little confused. Someone on the resort board got upgraded to a 1 bedroom unit at their choice of either saratoga or old key west. They chose saratoga. This suprised me. They were staying at the Pop in April when they got an e-mail offering this upgrade for no more money then what they paid.
Does anyone think this might be a new way they are marketing the Disney vacation club? I was just wondering. I guess I won't be upgraded from a studio to a one bedroom since I am already a member-lol.

I just saw this on another board. I will be calling DVC to demand an upgrade for our stay in May. I doubt I will get one though

I can't quite figure it out. Seems a little strange if you ask me about the whole upgrade from value to DVC one bedroom.
Plus I wonder if they are staying over a weekend which would be mega points.
I see you are from South Philly, we are practically neighbors. I live in Chester County.

Wow! To go from a 2 bed, no refrigerator room to a 1 Bdrm at SSR or OKW is a jump. Boy, how excited they'll be when they get on resort~ Full kitchen,
whirlpool tub and W/D. I'd be in heaven if we were scheduled for POP and got moved to that~ Guess they'll be happy.

Let us know how the upgrade question pans out~ Would love to know. Am very curious as to what caused this offer to POP up, if you will... Either way I guess things are really Magical these days. :wizard:

~Dw

We once had friends traveling with us to OKW one January. We arrived on a Saturday night. We had reservations at AKL and they had a reservation at All Stars. We checked in rather late due to a delayed flight. When they got to All Stars, their room had been given away, but the agent saw that they were listed to stay with us in a 2 bedroom lock off the next night, so they moved them over to the studio portion of the 2 bedroom at OKW for that night.

Disney has been doing this for years. If they have inventory in a Deluxe or DVC resort, they often will offer the free upgrade to selected guests.

We have friends who were upgraded from PO to BC a number of years ago. No additional expense to the guest (and no extra expense for Disney either). As a result, that family has always stayed at Deluxe resorts on all subsequent trips (they used to go about every 3 years when their kids were still at home).

This is a win-win situation. The guest wins with the upgrade and Disney may just get a new DVC member or at least a family who wants to stay at a DVC resort in the future.

Similar upgrades are very rare for DVC members staying on points. DVC can't really do this from the member inventory. It would be up to CRO to offer it to DVC members from the cash inventory (and that's NOT likely to happen).

This could also be done to make rooms for conventions or things like that. For example let's pick cheerleading. They need 40+ rooms at one hotel like pop century. So to keep the group together, why not "upgrade" people to another resort. Would you move from one "value" resort to another? Probably not, would you move from a value to a deluxe resort, you bet!

Plus once these visitors get the taste of a DVC resort, they may buy into the plan or not stay at another value when they come back.

Seems like a good marketing strategy to me!

It's one heck of an upgrade. It does just seem weird to me for such a big jump.

Our family had a similar "magical" upgrade in January 2002. We had a trip scheduled for Caribbean Beach and were offered any deluxe hotel that had availability. Travel had slowed significantly as a result of 9-11. We happily took Disney's offer and stayed at the Grand Floridian. My daughters were 4 & 7 and we had a view of the castle from our balcony. Our room cost at least half of what it should have. We had been to Disney with daughter #1 before for a day or so. But this really hooked our family on Disney magic and led us down the road to DVC. I think Disney knows exactly what they are doing!

Yeah, but now that it's on the Resorts board, everyone will want it/expect it/get PO'd when they don't. It'll become part of the "required" magic. I can see the posts now - "I'm SO mad! We didn't get our better-than-deluxe free upgrade!"

DisFlan

DisFlan said:
Yeah, but now that it's on the Resorts board, everyone will want it/expect it/get PO'd when they don't. It'll become part of the "required" magic. I can see the posts now - "I'm SO mad! We didn't get our better-than-deluxe free upgrade!"

DisFlan

Or better yet. "I booked a one-bedroom, where is my free GV upgrade?"

I'll happily accept by the way. :teeth:

cobbler said:
Or better yet. "I booked a one-bedroom, where is my free GV upgrade?"

I'll happily accept by the way. :teeth:

Yeah, where the heck is my GV !!! :furious:

:lmao:

GASP...I hope they don't expect me to stay in the accomadations I picked and paid for--then I'll know for sure that the magic is gone! :stir:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'd gladly take a free upgrade to a 2BR if the GV's are all full from others being upgraded! ;) :rotfl:

Sherri said:
I can't quite figure it out. Seems a little strange if you ask me about the whole upgrade from value to DVC one bedroom.
Plus I wonder if they are staying over a weekend which would be mega points.
I see you are from South Philly, we are practically neighbors. I live in Chester County.
Hello neighbor and fellow DVCer

DisFlan said:

DisFlan
Too late: bpmorley already made that post....

bpmorley said:
Hello neighbor and fellow DVCer

Hi it sure is nice to know someone from my neck of the woods is a DVC member. We love Marros pizza on Passyunk (sp) ave. in South Philly.
I am wondering if a lot of people are upgraded like this person said she was today, and maybe they just don't say anything about it.

Would love to know if it is just by chance or if they have a reason for who they upgrade. Never happened to me all the years I stayed for full price at moderates

It sounds like it grad weekend or something. Not sure what that is, but a weekend none the less. Someone else on that thread said they were offered it to but because they were there on a AAA discount would have to pay the difference of $166.00 or something. Check out the thread, its under the topic of Disney resorts and the thread is free upgrade. I wish I could link it but I am so challanged when it comes to computers.

Probably needed values for some grad night groups. I think they know exactly what they are doing too, because once you "taste" deluxe, it's hard to go back to values!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter