Permit Filed: "Project S" at Epcot

I don't understand why they keep emptying out those buildings.

Why close Sum of all thrills, as well as other things.

Are people storming the gates on their way out telling guest services that they feel they've underpaid because of the plethora of things to do?
The bottom line and the fact they know people will go anyways. I'll say it hasn't worked terribly for them. Yet

I don't understand why they keep emptying out those buildings.

Why close Sum of all thrills, as well as other things.

Are people storming the gates on their way out telling guest services that they feel they've underpaid because of the plethora of things to do?

Everything has a cost to operate - even exhibits in innovations. When Disney management tells them to cut costs, they look at things that have a low popularity. I think I heard with Sum of All Thrills that the contracts for using the Kukla Arms ran out, but that may be me just fantasizing.

Everything has a cost to operate - even exhibits in innovations. When Disney management tells them to cut costs, they look at things that have a low popularity. I think I heard with Sum of All Thrills that the contracts for using the Kukla Arms ran out, but that may be me just fantasizing.

In my very limited research, it looks like the sponsor pulled out....

Again, can't they look at the $100 ticket holder as a sponsor? :)

(Rhetorical, I know they don't and wont)

But they have more empty space now for their revamping of the park.

Glad I'm on vacation this week....

Check my statement. "NORWAY PAVILION" I do not say Norway as a country is a mishmash. I refer to the PAVILION. Which is not a falsehood. It was a mishmash or Norway, Sweden, Finland and Denmark (Google the Mysterious Danish Bathrooms of EPCOT).

My wife is Swedish.

Chill.

You wrote "norwegian countries" I didn't make that up.

You are incorrect about it being a mishmash of Scandinavian countries, as I already disproved your remarks, regardless of what was "supposed" to be. That's why your point that "who cares if Arrendale is there?" doesn't hold water as, it is actually Norway, and not a mishmash.

My husband is Welsh, Irish, and Dutch. Your point?

They also got rid of Storm Struck, which I always enjoyed. Now just more empty space.

The sponsor was Raytheon...

At Disney World, most families are spending hundreds of dollars for travel plus thousands more for lodging and park tickets. They don't have time for feeling snake skin, petting goats or observing surgery on a gazelle. They want Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids.

I think there are all different types of guests to Disney. I know for some that visiting Rafiki's planet watch and going to the petting area is a must do every trip .... I think it is that variety (that you can have things like a petting area or watching the animals in the medical facility there but also be able to go on Expedition Everest ... or get your hair cut on Main st ... or Listen to Yeahaw Bob ... or meet Anna and Elsa ... or go watch Festival of the Lion King ... etc.) that makes a Walt Disney World trip different from basically anywhere else on Earth

But what I do expect from Disney is that whatever experience is provided is top notch with excellent customer service - so if it is more sciency/edutainment - I want it to be better and bigger than what my local children's museum has. And that was the issue with many of the EPCOT pavilions in that they were no longer "top notch" and after the corporate sponsors left Disney didn't put the money in to keep them updated and now are dealing with it - but I think a state of the art version of Horizons (for example) could be very popular .... I wouldn't want 50 attractions like that, but a mix is best

Bit it is never just one source of income ... even at Hershey Park or whatever there are sponsors for some of the food stands and other areas

Heck, look at another Disney property, ESPN - they don't only get $ from subscribers, they also get advertiser revenue. The idea is to balance it - if they did all of WDW with zero sponsors or advertisers the tickets would cost twice as much (making that number up, but you get the idea)

How old are you? at some point you weren't/aren't either.....but even then, I assume to some you were/are to some of those around you....

Theme park stagnation is a real thing that has been heavily studied/watched by the industry for decades...you should look it up.

And you know well that this illuminations isn't as nice as the original roll out.

Think I'm "anti illuminations"? You haven't paid much attention to what I've said over the years then...

...not at all. I'm not for them beating things into submission to save costs...it's just that.

Now "wishes"...yeah, I was against that...that kinda sucked. Farewell.

Theme park stagnation is a real thing that has been heavily studied/watched by the industry for decades...you should look it up.

And you know well that this illuminations isn't as nice as the original roll out.

Think I'm "anti illuminations"? You haven't paid much attention to what I've said over the years then...

...not at all. I'm not for them beating things into submission to save costs...it's just that.

Now "wishes"...yeah, I was against that...that kinda sucked. Farewell.

Never said you were anti illuminations.

Wishes? To some of us that see Illuminations for what it is, Wishes didn't compare. Wishes was for people holding their young ones and hoping for great things for them young ones down the road. A time to fantasize about what could happen.

Illuminations though is more about the world in reality. It draws people towards a common goal, not the goal of one person, one family or one segment. I and all in my family always watch Illuminations the night before we leave because it brings us out of fantasyland, tom-morrow-land, toy story land, star wars land, and for a few brief moments unites all those countries around the lagoon and all those people surrounding it. It is my key for re-entry into real life. It sits inside of me until I see it again on my next trip. Wishes never did that for me.

I am 53 and could look forward to and watch Illuminations on every trip from now till they drop me in the grave. pirate: Wishes, meh. Fantasmic, meh. New show in DAK, double meh. Just my OP.

Lol. Like everyone else.. they decided not to sponsor for Disney anymore

This is crazy to me how Disney can't seem to (or doesn't want to) get sponsorships for pavilions anymore. Innoventions to me is particularly bothersome. Look at the original intention of it, showcasing technology and its practical applications. Now look at where we are in this point in time and tell me that there aren't companies out there that would love to showcase their tech in a venue like Disney (and families that wouldn't like to see it). To name a few:
- VR tech (Oculus, Vive, etc)
- Self-driving cars (Uber, Google, Apple, automakers)
- Home Automation/Smart Home (Nest, Blink, etc)
- AI (IBM Watson and others)
- Cloud technologies

IMHO we are in an unprecedented time for technological advances, and more importantly the accessibility of these advances by consumers. Why isn't Disney taking advantage of this?

This is crazy to me how Disney can't seem to (or doesn't want to) get sponsorships for pavilions anymore. Innoventions to me is particularly bothersome. Look at the original intention of it, showcasing technology and its practical applications. Now look at where we are in this point in time and tell me that there aren't companies out there that would love to showcase their tech in a venue like Disney (and families that wouldn't like to see it). To name a few:
- Cloud technologies

IMHO we are in an unprecedented time for technological advances, and more importantly the accessibility of these advances by consumers. Why isn't Disney taking advantage of this?

I agree.

I get that they want sponsors to help with the financial burden (Iger has kids to feed, afterall)

But to just shutter an attraction when one pulls out without any replacement ready to go? That's what I don't understand. I'm sure they get notice.

It's not like the sponsors says "we're leaving" and Disney responds with, "ok, shut her down"

At least I hope.

They could have a lot of those sponsors I bet. I'm interested to see what they reveal. Hopefully its not to keep empty buildings.

- Cloud technologies

Mainly because a lot of these companies don't have a pot to pee in and recognize that even an optimistic 15mm random people a year through EPCOT seeing their "showcase" is a heck of a lot less than they can reach for less money than a sponsorship by doing a TV ad. Oculus is owned by Facebook. Facebook does not need to advertise at Disney. Now if Disney were to pay for Oculus tech to work in one of their rides, you might have some kind of symbiotic partnership. But they don't need to advertise that way. All the other VR companies are essentially start ups, and they don't waste what capital they have to raise in private equity issuance by blowing it on a small advertising campaign.

Uber runs massively in the red. Google and Apple have no need to pay to have products in EPCOT. GM is doggedly hanging on as a sponsor but demands more advertising in every Test Track iteration. Nest is owned by Google, the others are start ups. See above. IBM needs Disney like they need a hole in the head. They have no consumer products any more. They are almost completely geared toward corporate needs, and corporations don't visit EPCOT. Cloud Tech is dominated by Amazon, Google and Apple. Again, see above. They have no need to run a small advertising campaign costing them big bucks to have a sponsorship in EPCOT.

The model makes no sense. Disney has to pay for their own attractions. A 30 second Superbowl ad cost $5MM this year to air. A million or so to make it and you reach over 100,000,000 people. A sponsorship at EPCOT? GM paid about 10MM a year for their previous sponsorship contract that ran out in 2009. Not sure what they pay now, but it isn't worth it. Heck if you get rid of AP people who come through more than once a year? Less than 10,000,000 people, who are not at all focused on you the way they are on voting for the best SB commercial. Pick up a VR helmet, play for a few minutes, put it down and go on Soarin. Which one do they remember at the end of the day?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!