Personal ECV purchase

Thank you for all of your replies. I am still searching. I really want a three-wheel scooter,but the problem is a couple of theme parks I go to are hilly. If you have ever been to Silver Dollar City you will know what I mean. So it looks like I will be getting a four-wheel scooter. Some of the ground clearances are lousy. This is driving me nuts!

I have not been to Silver Dollar City - but I am interested in going. We are part-time in Central Arkansas so it's only about 3 hours away. I'd heard that it is not at all friendly for those of us that need a mobility device so I haven't gone. I am purchasing the Whill Ci which although called an electric mobility device it looks like a wheelchair as there is no tiller. But it is an incredibly designed vehicle that supposedly handles inclines (even when uneven slopes) with ease.

What do you think about using an ECV even a 4 wheeler at Silver Dollar? I'm okay if I don't get to do everything - but I don't want to not be able to do more than just enter and go a few yards before I have to turn around. I don't have to get out and do every attraction - but I do like to at least visually expore the different areas.

What has been your experience?

I've been recently - last fall - and posted my experience here. My personal ECV - Angus - had a tough time, I will be honest. But so did the SDC Parks units that had been rented; they really do need to create more accessible pathways through that Park. I *love* SDC - first time I went there was as a teenager in 1976! - but I probably will never return, simply because I think it is too dangerous. I will continue to visit Branson; we live less than 4 hours away, and it is one of our families favorite "local" getaway spots, but SDC is no longer an option for me.

@musicmom3331 - a personal mobility device is *very* different from the ones that are rented at theme Parks, zoos, etc. The rental units are VERY heavy - and heavy-duty - and built low to the ground with the wheels out to the far corners for maximum stability. The average four wheel personal scooter is a very different critter, with a much higher center of gravity (meaning that it will tip over easier) and with the wheels typically more "tucked under" the body. I would not purchase a 4 wheel personal scooter over a 3 wheel simply for SDC; you will be *much* safer renting a Parks unit at SDC than trying to take any personal unit down into that holler. Were I to ever go back, I would rent a Parks ECV, and would whole-heartedly recommend the same for anyone else who attempts SDC on wheels. Purchase your scooter based on what your *daily* needs are - mine included being able to lift it by myself, in and out of my car. My personal scooter (fully assembled) weighs 35 pounds (not including me! LOL) and I much more independent now than I was prior to purchasing it.

Thanks, mamabunny. I'm less than 4 hours from SDC also, so I have a season pass. I hit the "buy" button for an ECV yesterday, but will rent one at SDC. I came to the same conclusion you did...not to buy one for SDC, but for the rest of my outings that aren't so hilly.

I have the GoGo Elite and I love it. Have it about a year and have done two Disney trips with it and one trip out west with it. My husband is the one to load it into and out of the van. If our kids are with us they don't take it apart they just lift it in and out, but otherwise he takes it apart. We knew someone at the company and got a great deal could not pass it up. The company Pride is about 20 miles away from us.

I ended up ordering a Drive Spitfire EX2 3-wheel scooter. It arrived today, and after I unboxed it I found out they sent me a 4-wheel. Funny thing is that I was debating getting a 4-wheel because it's more stable, and a couple of parks I would go to are very hilly. I ordered the 3-wheel because of the better turn radius, but I doubt I would take it inside a building anyway. It was after call hours so I emailed and asked if I could just keep the 4-wheel and get a corrected invoice. The difference in price would've been $50. I'm sure it would've cost them way more to correct their mistake.

Hi, musicmoom3331. Congratulations. I am curious, which battery size did you get...the 12-AH, 22 lbs, or the 24-AH, 28 lbs?

I ended up ordering a Drive Spitfire EX2 3-wheel scooter. It arrived today, and after I unboxed it I found out they sent me a 4-wheel. Funny thing is that I was debating getting a 4-wheel because it's more stable, and a couple of parks I would go to are very hilly. I ordered the 3-wheel because of the better turn radius, but I doubt I would take it inside a building anyway. It was after call hours so I emailed and asked if I could just keep the 4-wheel and get a corrected invoice. The difference in price would've been $50. I'm sure it would've cost them way more to correct their mistake.

Hi musicmom3331, I am thinking of buying this scooter and wondered what you think of it please?

Especially - I have problems with my back and find an upright seat most comfortable. (I have hired several Prides and need to use a lumbar support as the seat reclines so far.) This scooter looks to have a more upright back on photos, is that true in real life?

Any info you can give would be a great help, I feel as though I am so confused right now! Thanks!

Hi musicmom3331, I am thinking of buying this scooter and wondered what you think of it please?

Especially - I have problems with my back and find an upright seat most comfortable. (I have hired several Prides and need to use a lumbar support as the seat reclines so far.) This scooter looks to have a more upright back on photos, is that true in real life?

Any info you can give would be a great help, I feel as though I am so confused right now! Thanks!

Frankly, I would get a scooter with suspension. The one I got doesn't have that and I feel every bump. I mainly need it to have a seat with me everywhere I go, and to not have the long walks due to rheumatoid arthritis. If you are able to get to a mobility store to try out seats, that would be the best.

I got to try out my new ECV on Saturday. Since they sent me the 4-wheeler, I decided to bring it with me to Silver Dollar City. I had gotten the 15 hour battery. It worked great! SDC has some big hills and the ECV handled them fine. I got the Drive Spitfire EX2. It's on the small side, but that helped me get through the crowds easily. We put my grandchildren's stroller next to me and the footprint was about the same. If I were to need an ECV full-time I would go with a more substantial one, but this will work just fine for my purposes.

Appreciate the research. We are in the market for either a lightweight scooter or folding wheelchair. We saw an Italian model (starts with an L”} on the Magic last week that we liked but it is $2000+. DH weighs 230 with short legs.
Thanks again for the research. Michele and Milton.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!