Peter Pan (other rides at both WDW and DL)

NJlauren

DIS Veteran
I was reading another thread and everyone keeps saying Peter Pan is a must.... Is it the same as the one in WDW? I have it planned on our MM but I'm open to skipping it because I thought it was the same at WDW and if the line was long I would skip.... But if it's a must and different maybe that's a bad idea?

Pirates I know is different but I'm thinking of skipping because of the cannons and not sure DD will like it.... She hasn't gone on the one at WDW either.

Any other rides in both places that people want to chime in on feel free!

Hi. PP is different but not so much imo that it isn't skippable. With so many other completely unique rides in Fantasyland personally I'd prioritize those. Of course this is coming from someone who doesn't get the PP hoopla. Alice is a better attraction imho.

Pirates is a different matter. Yes it's the same "story" but the level to which it is better than the WDW version almost makes it a unique attraction. Not skippable. I'd try to find a way to handle the cannons.

Hi. PP is different but not so much imo that it isn't skippable. With so many other completely unique rides in Fantasyland personally I'd prioritize those. Of course this is coming from someone who doesn't get the PP hoopla. Alice is a better attraction imho.

Pirates is a different matter. Yes it's the same "story" but the level to which it is better than the WDW version almost makes it a unique attraction. Not skippable. I'd try to find a way to handle the cannons.

Thank you!

Ok so I'm not going to go crazy if I miss PP then.

I'm not opposed to either trying her on pirates or me and DH riding separately. She did fine with the thunder on living with the land....

Last edited:
Ok so I'm not going to go crazy if I miss PP then.

I'm not opposed to either trying her on pirates or me and DH riding separately. She did fine with the thunder on living with the land....

Hi again. No, don't go crazy over it. Unless PP is a family favorite imo its skippable given your priority for unique attractions. And I DO like PP, it's just not worth either a 45 min wait or a jostling mad dash at rope drop to ride it. Go for the unique attractions first then if you have the opportunity to ride it later, go for it.

Now if you skip Pirates because it's not unique, well then yes, go crazy. :P

Btw, the uniqueness of the mine explosion scene on BTMRR makes it totally worth a ride. There is an explosion though so not sure if your daughter will enjoy that.

Haunted, Jungle and Space all different/unique enough that I'd put them on my must do list.

Tiki room is better but not really a unique experience. Buzz is the same ride but better experience since you can remove the blasters from their holder. If your daughter likes the Speedway, Autopia is the same concept but much better design. Small World is quite impressive (do ride) but in truth this has more to do with the facade than the actual ride.

Splash may be your disappointment at DL. The WDW ride is better, especially since DL's almost always has broken animatronics and dark sections where the spotlights don't work. Still fun but boo! on the maintenance.

Pooh is a different ride and a weak one at that but you'll be able to ride with no wait. Go figure lol.

Last edited:

I guess it depends on how much time you'll be in the parks. If all you have is one day at DL, then skip Peter Pan. That'll chew up enough time to hit two other FantasyLand rides that are unique to this side of the US. But if you're able to do DL park more than 1 day, you should definitely take your daughter on it.

Hi again. No, don't go crazy over it. Unless PP is a family favorite imo its skippable given your priority for unique attractions. And I DO like PP, it's just not worth either a 45 min wait or a jostling mad dash at rope drop to ride it. Go for the unique attractions first then if you have the opportunity to ride it later, go for it.

Now if you skip Pirates because it's not unique, well then yes, go crazy. :P

Btw, the uniqueness of the mine explosion scene on BTMRR makes it totally worth a ride. There is an explosion though so not sure if your daughter will enjoy that.

Haunted, Jungle and Space all different/unique enough that I'd put them on my must do list.

Tiki room is better but not really a unique experience. Buzz is the same ride but better experience since you can remove the blasters from their holder. If your daughter likes the Speedway, Autopia is the same concept but much better design. Small World is quite impressive (do ride) but in truth this has more to do with the facade than the actual ride.

Splash may be your disappointment at DL. The WDW ride is better, especially since DL's almost always has broken animatronics and dark sections where the spotlights don't work. Still fun but boo! on the maintenance.

Pooh is a different ride and a weak one at that but you'll be able to ride with no wait. Go figure lol.

Thanks again! I should have mentioned DD is 2, so she isn't tall enough for thunder or splash, and I'm not a huge fan of splash unless I'm dying of heat....

I am planning on Space, Small world and Buzz as its one of DHs favs.

I guess it depends on how much time you'll be in the parks. If all you have is one day at DL, then skip Peter Pan. That'll chew up enough time to hit two other FantasyLand rides that are unique to this side of the US. But if you're able to do DL park more than 1 day, you should definitely take your daughter on it.

We will have 2 full days and 2 half days, I am open to missing anything or doing anything. I am planning to go back again in a few years. I also try to only have a handful of must dos so I can enjoy the trip and parks as much as possible with out driving DH crazy running around trying to do it all.

I think if PP has a short wait on an early entry morning we will do it if not and we miss it no big deal. We did it the last 2 WDW trips.

I'm a PP fan. We were at rope drop this past Friday and we went to PP first thing. Then we rode Alice, Mr. Toad and Buzz. Space Mountain had a long wait and wasn't moving even though the operators said the ride was running. We left and headed over to Adventure Land. We ended up going on 9 rides in the first two hours of the park opening. Disneyland seems more laid back than WDW. There isn't the throngs of people at Disneyland at rope drop. If you like PP, go for it. It won't set you back in getting accomplished what you want to do.

I'm a PP fan. We were at rope drop this past Friday and we went to PP first thing. Then we rode Alice, Mr. Toad and Buzz. Space Mountain had a long wait and wasn't moving even though the operators said the ride was running. We left and headed over to Adventure Land. We ended up going on 9 rides in the first two hours of the park opening. Disneyland seems more laid back than WDW. There isn't the throngs of people at Disneyland at rope drop. If you like PP, go for it. It won't set you back in getting accomplished what you want to do.

Thank you!

Only issue is my day DL doesn't open till 10, so early entry is 9, I am afraid since it is later then say 7 or 8 we may have more people. I will play it by ear I think.

Small World – the DL version is not only in the beautiful (but intentionally gaudy) pavilion, but it's just all-around better...brighter and more colorful...better use of the space...more detail...even adding in the Disney IP characters enhanced it (and I was skeptical when they announced that). It's a must ride for us at DL; by comparison we hate the WDW version which feels like riding through a musty old warehouse (dropped ceiling and all)

IIRC, the Peter Pan at DL is a little longer after they extended most of the dark rides a long time ago in a Fantasyland refurb. But I'm not a fan of the latest verion of PP...I hate the "flat" London. We ride it, but I wouldn't rework a schedule for it

Pirates - as mentioned, it's nearly twice as long with a much longer first act. Two drops! And you load in next to the Blue Bayou restaurant

Buzz Lightyear - Better than WDW, if just because the guns aren't permanetly mounted to the car

Space Mtn - Much smoother, and funner than we find the WDW version (music!)

Haunted Mansion - Most people consider the WDW version better, it is longer. The advantage of the DL version is the Hatbox Ghost and it is the original (the organ in the ballroom is the original organ James Mason plays in the 20,000 Leagues movie

Pooh - DL's version is poor, and the storyline is slapped together

Little Mermaid (DCA) - Same ride as WDW

Toy Story (DCA) - Same ride as WDW, but usually with a shorter wait

Soaring (DCA) - Same ride as WDW (but is the latest "World" version)

Grizzle River Rapids (DCA) - Much longer and much better than the weak, short Kali River Rapids at AK. Probably not for a 2yo

Last edited:
Small World – the DL version is not only in the beautiful (but intentionally gaudy) World's Fair pavilion, but it's just all-around better...brighter and more colorful...better use of the space...more detail...even adding in the Disney IP characters enhanced it (and I was skeptical when they announced that). It's a must ride for us at DL; by comparison we hate the WDW version which feels like riding through a musty old warehouse (dropped ceiling and all)

IIRC, the Peter Pan at DL is a little longer after they extended most of the dark rides a long time ago in a Fantasyland refurb. But I'm not a fan of the latest verion of PP...I hate the "flat" London. We ride it, but I wouldn't rework a schedule for it

Pirates - as mentioned, it's nearly twice as long with a much longer first act. Two drops! And you load in next to the Blue Bayou restaurant

Buzz Lightyear - Better than WDW, if just because the gunds aren't permanetly mounted to the car

Space Mtn - Much smoother, and funner than we find the WDW version (music!)

Haunted Mansion - Most people consider the WDW version better, it is longer. The advantage of the DL version is the Hatbox Ghost and it is the original (the organ in the Bllroom is the exact same organ James Mason plays in the 20,000 Leagues movie.

Pooh - DL's version is poor, and the storyline is slapped together

Little Mermaid (DCA) - Same ride as WDW

Toy Story (DCA) - Same ride as WDW, but usually with a much shorter wait

Soaring (DCA) - Same ride as WDW (but is the latest "World" version)

Grizzle River Rapids (DCA) - Much longer and much better than the weak, short Kali River Rapids at AK. Probably not for a 2yo

So helpful! Thank you!

I totally agree with the above posters, but we can't stress enough how much better pirates is at DL...it's not to be missed!

One other thing to add about PP, there's nothing to look at in line except other people waiting in line, so unless you really want to do this one, I'd skip it. Especially with a 2 year old, it's a ride you've been on before with a line that could ruin a mood of any happy person

I totally agree with the above posters, but we can't stress enough how much better pirates is at DL...it's not to be missed!

One other thing to add about PP, there's nothing to look at in line except other people waiting in line, so unless you really want to do this one, I'd skip it. Especially with a 2 year old, it's a ride you've been on before with a line that could ruin a mood of any happy person

Thank you! Looks like we won't be skipping pirates!

Small World – the DL version is not only in the beautiful (but intentionally gaudy) World's Fair pavilion, but it's just all-around better...brighter and more colorful...better use of the space...more detail...even adding in the Disney IP characters enhanced it (and I was skeptical when they announced that). It's a must ride for us at DL; by comparison we hate the WDW version which feels like riding through a musty old warehouse (dropped ceiling and all)

It's not really the World's Fair Pavilion. The ride was definitely relocated, but in 50 years most of it has been replaced with newer parts. The exterior and building was purpose built for Disneyland. This is what the WF exterior looked like:

WFW665992LARGE.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ll-world-at-the-1964-65-new-york-worlds-fair/

Not sure what happened to the Tower of the Four Winds sculpture in front.

With a 2 year old, since you're limited on what she can ride, she may really like PP, and give her more to do. I would hit it first though to avoid long lines. It's not different enough to spend so much time in line for it, but it's always been something my kids like and insist on doing it at both DLR and WDW.

My Peter Pan plans are of this thinking: If we can be on within ten minutes of park opening then it is worth riding first thing. If we cannot be on quickly, then we skip it and plan to ride it later in the day when all the lines are long or try for it another day. The line gets long fast. Of course everyone thinks it's the ride they should do first, so they all rush there. People end up waiting 30 minutes for the ride first thing in the morning when all the other rides in Fantasyland are walk ons. The rides only last about 2 minutes. You can easily do 6 or 7 other Fantasyland rides in the first hour if you skip Peter Pan. Also, I think one problem is that many people are in groups of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), and you can't fit that many people in the pirate ships on Peter Pan. Same problem at Toad's, it fits two unless you have a lap baby. Mr. Toad's isn't as popular as Peter Pan, but the line backs up more than Snow White or Pinocchio, which both easily sit 2 parents with their 2 or 3 kids. Alice gets long lines as I think it's probably just as popular as Peter Pan but the caterpillars seat 4 easily. Alice has always been a fun ride, add to it that it was redone a few years ago. If you don't go straight to Peter Pan, consider going straight to Alice. Another longish wait in Fantasyland is the Canal boats. Your daughter may really enjoy those. They are not usually open during Magic Morning, but should open just as the park opens. I recommend you ride those as soon as they open if you're interested in riding them.

My Peter Pan plans are of this thinking: If we can be on within ten minutes of park opening then it is worth riding first thing. If we cannot be on quickly, then we skip it and plan to ride it later in the day when all the lines are long or try for it another day. The line gets long fast. Of course everyone thinks it's the ride they should do first, so they all rush there. People end up waiting 30 minutes for the ride first thing in the morning when all the other rides in Fantasyland are walk ons. The rides only last about 2 minutes. You can easily do 6 or 7 other Fantasyland rides in the first hour if you skip Peter Pan. Also, I think one problem is that many people are in groups of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids), and you can't fit that many people in the pirate ships on Peter Pan. Same problem at Toad's, it fits two unless you have a lap baby. Mr. Toad's isn't as popular as Peter Pan, but the line backs up more than Snow White or Pinocchio, which both easily sit 2 parents with their 2 or 3 kids. Alice gets long lines as I think it's probably just as popular as Peter Pan but the caterpillars seat 4 easily. Alice has always been a fun ride, add to it that it was redone a few years ago. If you don't go straight to Peter Pan, consider going straight to Alice. Another longish wait in Fantasyland is the Canal boats. Your daughter may really enjoy those. They are not usually open during Magic Morning, but should open just as the park opens. I recommend you ride those as soon as they open if you're interested in riding them.

Thank you! The canal boats are totally on my must do list! I'm considering skipping Snow White (to scary?).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!