Philando Castile shooting - full dashcam video released

Your facts are wrong. He had handed over his registration card. He had NOT handed over his license at the time of the shooting. Pretty sure he was trying to get that too. It is not unusual for people to keep their license and registration in different places. I know I do. My registration is in my car (so that whether it's my husband or myself driving, it's always there). My license is in my wallet. In my purse. My husband keeps his in his wallet, in his pocket.

I find it absolutely interesting in the dash cam video that the second officer never even laid a HAND on his sidearm while the other guy felt so threatened he needed to pump 7 bullets into the guy. Nice. That speaks volumes to me about rational vs. irrational fear. Mr Yanez should never have been a cop.

I still don't get this. You are told when you lawfully carry a weapon to let police know you have it if they pull you over. Why would someone tell a cop he has a gun (a legally obtained and legally carrying one at that) and then reach to shoot. The dude was calm and collected and not agitated or aggressive.

I feel for cops but at the same time it seems a lot of precients are lacking in training officers about threats and de-escalation. If the officer was scared just because a gun was present he should have immediately said ok now i want you to keep your hands on the wheel and tell me where your wallet is so I can get it for you or whatever he felt comfortable doing.

Before I pile on the officer I'd need more info, I'm not going to watch it multiple times to analyze every second. I can here the audio of the driver saying he has a firearm, the officer responds don't reach for it and you can here the driver say he has to reach for it. Then shooting starts.
I refuse to jump on the bandwagon as of late that makes it popular to second guess an officer after the fact.

Before I pile on the officer I'd need more info, I'm not going to watch it multiple times to analyze every second. I can here the audio of the driver saying he has a firearm, the officer responds don't reach for it and you can here the driver say he has to reach for it. Then shooting starts.
I refuse to jump on the bandwagon as of late that makes it popular to second guess an officer after the fact.

Even with a 4 year old child directly behind him? Sorry I'm firmly on the bandwagon.

No occupation should put somebody above criticism. Refusing to look at a specific situation and questioning what went wrong does nothing to prevent something like that from happening again.

The evidence including this dashcam video was looked at, criticized, and studied multiple times by jurors and found not guilty.

That doesn't mean the general population can't also make a determination. The police department's own investigation said he is not fit to be an officer and he was fired so clearly something was wrong about this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the dashcam doesn't really show why the officer pulled his gun (rationally or otherwise). Sad situation all around. I don't believe "murder" is the correct term, but given what we have, *I* think the cop overreacted. Manslaughter is more like it, but really not something that can be proven from the video.

Is there a version of the video where he says this?
I watched the one linked in the OP, I only watched it once. I'll check again to be sure but I swore I heard it.

ETA- start listening to the audio at 1:30(its closer to 1:40) but you here the officer tell him "well, don't pull it out." and the driver responds "I have to pull it out."

Last edited:
I watched the one linked in the OP, I only watched it once. I'll check again to be sure but I swore I heard it.

ETA- start listening to the audio at 1:30(its closer to 1:40) but you here the officer tell him "well, don't pull it out." and the driver responds "I have to pull it out."

No. He does not say that. Some articles accompanying the video have transcripts of the conversation and none of those have him saying that either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!