Philando Castile shooting - full dashcam video released

Well I must be an idiot because I wouldn't think to put my hands on the wheel in those 4 seconds if I wasn't instructed to do so.

In some states, that's part of your CCW training. I have no idea if that's part of the training the victim received or not, but it would probably be a good idea for CCW holders & law enforcement to be on the same page in these situations. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be very common.

Well I must be an idiot because I wouldn't think to put my hands on the wheel in those 4 seconds if I wasn't instructed to do so.

It's ridiculous to even assume Castile putting his hands on the wheel would have changed anything. It all happened so fast. It's just as likely that the movement of Castile attempting to place his hands on the wheel would've resulted in shots being fired. Of course then the "logical and analytical" argument would be he shouldn't have moved.

Ok, then. I suppose all I can say that if I were in this position, I believe I could think clearly enough in 4 seconds to put my hands on the steering wheel. But, that's me.

Here is the thing, in that position it should have been the Police Officer thinking clearly. That is part of his job in order to keep everyone safe, including that child in the back seat. He was the authority. He was already panicked, who is to say that if in that 4 seconds Castile went to put his hands on the wheel, can you honestly say that Yanez wouldn't have shot him because he thought he already had the gun in his hand? We know he made a knee jerk decision when he didn't see a gun in the first place. He could have just as easily shot Castile when he went to put his hands on the wheel.
This isn't a case of non compliance, this is a case of a PO who was unprepared to be on patrol. He is probably more suited for a desk job.

In some states, that's part of your CCW training. I have no idea if that's part of the training the victim received or not, but it would probably be a good idea for CCW holders & law enforcement to be on the same page in these situations. Sadly, that doesn't seem to be very common.

Very true. My dh was never required to take any training to get his CCW permt, none at all.

Logic tells me that if I employ deadly force and mortally wound someone, it's in my best interest to explain the situation in a way that suggests I had justification to do so. An understanding of justice tells me that my statements should rightfully be examined in light of the totality of ALL of the evidence.

I assumed the person I shot may have committed a robbery.

When I instituted a traffic stop of the suspect's vehicle, my commands to stop and pull over were complied with.

When I approached the vehicle with my partner there were three occupants, one of whom is a small child.

There is no visible evidence the suspect committed the robbery in question.

I issue a command for the suspect to provide me with identification and other documents.

Suspect tells me they have a weapon with legal permission to carry it.

Suspect moves hands in a manner suggesting they are retrieving something.

I yell at suspect not to take it out.

Suspect tells me they're not taking it out.

Front passenger says he's not taking it out.

I issue no command regarding placing hands on steering wheel.

I shoot suspect seven times.

My partner does not discharge their weapon once.

Suspect's weapon is neither discharged or displayed.

Three guns present. Only one is discharged or even on the brink of discharge.

No evidence connects suspect to robbery in question.

No evidence connects subject to criminal activity.

Flawed and inadequate as it may be, my logic and analysis suggests to me that one person's actions and thinking was the driving force of the entire situation and another person was the unfortunate recipient forced to bear the ultimate responsibility and is now expected to do so while having their thoughts viewed in an unfavorable light, ignoring any and all justified fear and confusion they may have felt and absent of any input of their own.

Yeah, that seems perfectly just.

I saw it yesterday and wished I had not. Even though you only hear audio, I'll never be able to get that out of my mind. I heard a man be murdered in cold blood.

Devastating.

I tried to turn the channel but unfortunately saw it. Even though you know so much from the coverage last year, it's sickening to watch it and hear it unfold.

I can't even imagine what this is like for his family. Here they are mourning their loved one and this is the verdict on their son - brother -boyfriend shot seven times as he followed instructions. Not to mention all the students who loved this man.

I guess citizens need to fight a law that results in this kind of outcome. Sighing.

Speaking as an official white guy, a cop has never pulled a gun on me no matter what I reached for. I have to beleive that our entire system of justice, given all the evidence, is far from colorblind. We see this in arrests for simple possession of marijuana, driving while black, death penatly verdicts, and that's not the half of it. We have not progressed from the Rodney King verdict, which was an abomination. this is too.

Thank you for posting this. We have not progressed. But let's make America great again.

I have been in cars pulled over with whites and with blacks. And I can tell you there is a huge difference.

I have been in multiple situations sitting beside a black driver that I have never experienced with a white driver. One was for a legal U-turn. Pulled over with sirens. Cops on both sides of the car. Asked why. We just thought you looked like you were up to no good. Seriously, that was the answer.

Another time was waiting on a street, legally, staying warm in the car to go out to a picket line. Harassed. No other word for it. After calmly explaining why we were sitting there.

The third time was for coming very close to passing a streetcar, illegal here to pass at certain points. But did not pass it, simply close. Two officers, both sides of the car. I lost my cool and told the police officer on my side that he scared the crap out of me - just appearing like that on such a pull over- your instinct is to listen to the officer at hand.And be turned in that direction. I let my body language show how disturbing it all felt.

When in a car with a white driver I have never had officers on both sides of the car. Not once.

I too would hate to be a cop these days. But that police officer was not a good candidate for the force to begin with or at the least not kept on over time. It is obvious that he acted in complete fear. And I'm sure this was not the first time where he acted like he had no proper training.

I can't imagine what it is like to be the parents of black children. What the hell do you tell them? Follow instructions? Doesn't work.

And for all those judging Castile's actions - unless you're black your actions are not relevant to discuss his actions. Because you don't have the fear/apprehension/history of aggressive police pull overs to blanket your level of free, calm, clear thinking in these situations. But then again Castile was amazingly clear and calm. Sigh.

And isn't this what the NRA fights for? Gun rights for carrying lawfully? Where are they? Have I missed their support of the Castile family? Their statement on how this was handled?

If anyone is interested in knowing what profiling is really like ---

http://torontolife.com/city/life/skin-im-ive-interrogated-police-50-times-im-black/

Last edited:
And, 4 seconds pass between the BEGINNING of that exhange ("don't reach for it") and shots fired. Good grief. Apparently, you have supreme ability to think that your LIFE is in danger if you don't immediately move your hands to the wheel, with NO instruction to do so and a pending instruction to give the man your license. And, you are blaming Mr. Castille for that?!?! Wow. Ballsy.

And tellingly, Mr. Yanez NEVER mentioned seeing a gun that night, while interviewed. Not ONCE. He NEVER reported seeing a gun. Interestingly, his "memory" improved tremendously in the following year, and now is confident he did. That's NONSENSE. And, the jury was not allowed to listen to his interview from that night. That is complete and utter BS. No other way to call it. They were not allowed to decide that officer Yanez is a complete liar acting to save his own skin. And, no I do not feel sorry for him in the least. He's alive. Philando Castile, a perfectly decent human being with a job among kids who adored him, is dead because why? Because he's black. That is plain as day. Why are you "afraid" in this circumstance...from the moment you hear the word "gun" to the point that less than 5 seconds later, a man is dead.

It's offensive to all that is good and decent.
I have not followed this story at all, so forgive the dense question...was a gun found in the vehicle and if so, where?

Lets not neglect or deny 3 MEN AND A BOAT the right to their own opinion. Fact is, they have every right to defend the actions of the officer if they decide to do so. I suppose someone has to have a different perspective on the video and finding ways to come to the add of the officer is nothing new. Someone's going to do it. Especially on this board.

That said, lets also not overlook that some people (no matter the situation) are not morally connected to facts or principles. Some people can't help but to use events like this to showcase their TRUE characteristics and come to the defense of an inhumane act. Understand... some people enjoy this. For some, this is reassurance that the "law" is still protecting who it should protect. For some, this eases their paranoia about the state of the country. I'm not saying that one would wish for death. But, as long as traffic stops continue to happen this way, some people will always side against what's morally correct, in favor for whats orderly correct.

Do we need to publicly execute the office? No. But we all should be able to agree that there is something wrong here. And we all should be able to agree that African Americans appear to always end up on the unfortunate side during encounters with the police. Note...not all African Americans disobey the police. In this situation, fear overruled judgement. GOOD officers are trained appropriately and are well equip to handle this type of situation. Good cops are not giving enough credit. If you see nothing wrong with how the officer handled himself in this video, you don't know what good police work is. Are there some situations were deadly force is warranted...yup. This doesn't appear to be one, IMO.

3 MEN AND A BOAT could be an ex-cop, have police in his or her...or simply be a flat out racist. I could care less. As long as we can agree that there is something wrong with the outcome of this situation, we're moving in the right direction.

3 Men and a Boat can have whatever opinion s/he wants. The problem comes when we start thinking the right to have an opinion means all opinions should be viewed as legitimate. The conversation between the parties involved in this shooting have been established, presented in court and both parties agreed to that.
Three Men and a Boat can believe s/he hears whatever s/he wants to believe but simply believing something doesn't legitimize it.
So now I'm a racist whom isn't entitled to an opinion.
Got It!

So now I'm a racist whom isn't entitled to an opinion.
Got It!

What? I didn't say anything about you being a racist.
I clearly said you can have any opinion you want. Being entitled to an opinion and having a legitimate opinion aren't the same thing though. If you want to have an opinion that goes against the actual facts (facts accepted by both parties in court) then that is your right but that doesn't mean you are right.

What? I didn't say anything about you being a racist.
I clearly said you can have any opinion you want. Being entitled to an opinion and having a legitimate opinion aren't the same thing though. If you want to have an opinion that goes against the actual facts (facts accepted by both parties in court) then that is your right but that doesn't mean you are right.
The racist part wasn't directed at you, sorry.
I was referring to you saying I can have an opinion but its not legitimate.

Devastating.

I tried to turn the channel but unfortunately saw it. Even though you know so much from the coverage last year, it's sickening to watch it and hear it unfold.

I can't even imagine what this is like for his family. Here they are mourning their loved one and this is the verdict on their son - brother -boyfriend shot seven times as he followed instructions. Not to mention all the students who loved this man.

I guess citizens need to fight a law that results in this kind of outcome. Sighing.

Thank you for posting this. We have not progressed. But let's make America great again.

I have been in cars pulled over with whites and with blacks. And I can tell you there is a huge difference.

I have been in multiple situations sitting beside a black driver that I have never experienced with a white driver. One was for a legal U-turn. Pulled over with sirens. Cops on both sides of the car. Asked why. We just thought you looked like you were up to no good. Seriously, that was the answer.

Another time was waiting on a street, legally, staying warm in the car to go out to a picket line. Harassed. No other word for it. After calmly explaining why we were sitting there.

The third time was for coming very close to passing a streetcar, illegal here to pass at certain points. But did not pass it, simply close. Two officers, both sides of the car. I lost my cool and told the police officer on my side that he scared the crap out of me - just appearing like that on such a pull over- your instinct is to listen to the officer at hand.And be turned in that direction. I let my body language show how disturbing it all felt.

When in a car with a white driver I have never had officers on both sides of the car. Not once.

I too would hate to be a cop these days. But that police officer was not a good candidate for the force to begin with or at the least not kept on over time. It is obvious that he acted in complete fear. And I'm sure this was not the first time where he acted like he had no proper training.

I can't imagine what it is like to be the parents of black children. What the hell do you tell them? Follow instructions? Doesn't work.

And for all those judging Castile's actions - unless you're black your actions are not relevant to discuss his actions. Because you don't have the fear/apprehension/history of aggressive police pull overs to blanket your level of free, calm, clear thinking in these situations. But then again Castile was amazingly clear and calm. Sigh.

And isn't this what the NRA fights for? Gun rights for carrying lawfully? Where are they? Have I missed their support of the Castile family? Their statement on how this was handled?

If anyone is interested in knowing what profiling is really like ---

http://torontolife.com/city/life/skin-im-ive-interrogated-police-50-times-im-black/

I wish I could "like" this more than once!

I went to a school with very wealthy, privileged young ladies. I was there on scholarship, but everyone else had parents who could actually pay the tuition. I remember having lunch with some of my friends in high school, when one of the girls (Caribbean heritage, dark brown skin), asked us, "So how many times have YOU been pulled over by the cops?"

Everyone (except me, who didn't have my license yet) looked at her blankly and said, "Never?"

Her face fell and she said, "But, I've been pulled over five times in the last four months! I thought it was just something that happened to everyone."

One of my friends asked if the cops were ever rude to her. She said, "No, they're always very polite. They just ask to see my license, apologize for bothering me, and tell me to have a nice day."

We worked it out. She's young. She's black. She's driving a nice car. The cops see her and assume she's stolen it, until she opens her mouth and they realize she sounds like a nicely educated, upper class young lady.

I can't imagine what it would be like going through life with everyone suspecting I'm up to no good, just because of the colour of my skin.

Years later, I was coincidentally in a parenting group with a black university professor who'd married a white man, and a white gov't worker who'd married a black man. I remember listening to them compare notes on what it was like to raise biracial children. The university prof was constantly being mistaken for a nanny, because her children were fairer than her. Even when she was walking to her office on campus! And the gov't employee was either assumed to be an unwed teen mom with a black baby, or else - if she was in her professional clothes - her child's adoptive mother. Both found this incredibly frustrating and demeaning, to both them and their kids.

I don't know why we haven't moved on from this nonsense yet. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter