Photo sharing: Sony Alpha

Looks like you'll eventually (with adapter and after firmware upgrades) be able to use Sony A-mount lenses (except for screw-drive) and Canon EF (or other EF mount) lenses on this camera with all the Auto Focus goodies.
You also retain the in-body-stabilization.

The only downgrade from FE lenses is frames per second drop to 10 from 20.

Looks like you'll eventually (with adapter and after firmware upgrades) be able to use Sony A-mount lenses (except for screw-drive) and Canon EF (or other EF mount) lenses on this camera with all the Auto Focus goodies.
You also retain the in-body-stabilization.

The only downgrade from FE lenses is frames per second drop to 10 from 20.

Until I see it, not betting on whether you truly keep all the AF functions. But if So, it would be pretty amazing.

DSC02494-X2.jpg

Really great photos @fractal , im still stuck in no-mans lands with my A99 and A-Mount. Would love the A9 but noway that is going to happen at that price point. May jump into the same A7rii you have next year if i can fit it into the budget.

In other news we booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise for May of next year on the new Harmony of the Sea. I know, its a long way away but allows me time to pay it off during the year. Super excited, stops in Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel Mexico :yo-yo:. Would love to have a new camera for that trip.

Really great photos @fractal , im still stuck in no-mans lands with my A99 and A-Mount. Would love the A9 but noway that is going to happen at that price point. May jump into the same A7rii you have next year if i can fit it into the budget.

In other news we booked our first Royal Caribbean cruise for May of next year on the new Harmony of the Sea. I know, its a long way away but allows me time to pay it off during the year. Super excited, stops in Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel Mexico :yo-yo:. Would love to have a new camera for that trip.

Funny.. there are now 4 different E-mount full frame cameras, but none would be quite the right fit for me. I love some stuff about the A9, but I don't need THAT much speed, and I certainly don't want to spend $4500, and IQ is more important than speed to me. I like the A7rii, but I don't need 42mp.. makes the files toooo big for my use. And I wish it had some of the advancements from the A9. And the A7ii is really using an older sensor and doesn't have the best IQ (and also wish it had some of the A9 features).
I can imagine an A7iii being "just right" for me.. if I ever decide to go fully to E-mount.

I have a Disney cruise next month. Debating whether to rent something, just to try something new. Renting the A9 for 10 days would be several hundred dollars though.

I'm enjoying the A7rii. I was initially worried about the bigger files but I haven't really noticed a material slow down when processing the images (on a 4 year old Mac).

Battery life is significantly worse than my NEX-7. I got out the NEX-7 the other day to shoot a lacrosse game and after 600 shots I was at 80% on my battery (mostly burst shooting). The A7rii would have easily been down to 40 or 50%. Carrying an extra one is no big deal for me.

I definitely get more "wow, nice camera" comments than before - lol.

IBIS is great. I can shoot one-handed at focal length speed or two handed easily half that. (1/25sec for the 55mm has never been an issue).
Also helps with my manual lenses.

Files are superior vs. NEX-7. I can really push things without having to deal with resolution loss and color bleeding. Speaking of colors - much nicer on this sensor.

I will say, when I picked up the NEX7 after not handling it for awhile, I was again amazed how small it is. It's such an ideal travel camera for a place like WDW if you are on the go.

The 10-18 is very usable on the A7rii but I feel it is lacking somewhat. I'm heading to WDW in July and will likely rent the 16-35 or the Batis 18mm.

As far as the A9, my sports photographer days are numbered (although still have dance). Even when shooting dance I feel the A7rii will be more than adequate. I don't really need all that speed. Seems it would make a great wedding camera.

Also looking forward to the A7iii.

Last edited:
Yeah A9 would be nice if money was no object for me, the extra speed would be nice and hear the focus speed is a beast. To me the IQ Im seeing out the A7rii versus my A99 is a tad better, is it worth the money to switch just for that, no I dont think so but the way the A Mount is headed a switch may have to happen if I want to continue advancing using Sony cameras and third party lenses. I've come to the conclusion that I actually prefer the Nikon image quality (so far) over that of the Sony but prefer the features that Sony offers more (EVF, focus peaking, etc)

@fractal have you picked up any extra batteries? Ive had good luck buying cheap 3rd party batteries for the different Sony's I had over the years and with having 3-4 extra I have never had a problem with running out of juice. Except for the time I thought I had them all charged only to realize I hadn't, lol.

@havoc315 what are you shooting with these days?

Yeah A9 would be nice if money was no object for me, the extra speed would be nice and hear the focus speed is a beast. To me the IQ Im seeing out the A7rii versus my A99 is a tad better, is it worth the money to switch just for that, no I dont think so but the way the A Mount is headed a switch may have to happen if I want to continue advancing using Sony cameras and third party lenses. I've come to the conclusion that I actually prefer the Nikon image quality (so far) over that of the Sony but prefer the features that Sony offers more (EVF, focus peaking, etc)

@fractal have you picked up any extra batteries? Ive had good luck buying cheap 3rd party batteries for the different Sony's I had over the years and with having 3-4 extra I have never had a problem with running out of juice. Except for the time I thought I had them all charged only to realize I hadn't, lol.

Yes, I've picked up an extra 2 3rd party batteries that do well. The camera came with 2 batteries so right now I have 6 including the ones from my nex7 & nex3.

I thinking a day in the parks will require me to bring 2 extra.

Yeah the only time ive had to use more than 2 in one day was a full day at the park followed by a full night at HHN, I used 3 that day. Other than Ill go thru 2 in a day

Still have my Nikon D750. I do love it, best camera I have owned and matches most of my shooting perfectly. That said, I have a tiny bit of worry about Nikon... It's just a matter of time before mirrorless becomes dominant. Canon has been taking the steps. Nikon hasn't.
I'm not making any big changes any time soon. But I am keeping an eye on Sony's future and Nikon's. If a year from now, Nikon is really struggling and the Sony A7iii looks amazing, who knows.

Putting aside the camera body --- I do a huge amount of my shooting with the Tamron 85/1.8 sp lens. It is ridiculously amazing. For my professional work, I do 95% of my shooting with it.

I have on pre-order, the Irix 11mm -- I'm looking forward to going that wide.

Mike, Beautiful colors. Did you use a flash in the first one?

Thank you, believe it or not I used this bike light, lol. https://www.nebotools.com/prod_details.php?id=458&cid=33 I initially brought it with me to see while i was walking in the dark to the beach, then it occurred to me to try and use it for some light painting. Came out decent, wish I got more of the light on the out the outer arts, seems a little centered for my liking but was happy enough with it to post.

Well it's been a long time since I posted over here - I figured this thread needed some more birds in flight. With all the talk of the A9 which will probably be a beast for BIF work, the A6300 is still a great BIF camera for me, paired with the FE70-300mm G OSS. Here are some from 2017 and the winter/spring migration and nesting season here in Florida:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Taken with the big Tamron 150-600:
original.jpg

Justin,

All great but,

The 3rd one with the heron catching the fish is a killer shot! Kudos.

Did a coal mine tour over the weekend which afforded me my first good chance to test the Rokinon 8mm fisheye on the A7rii (on APS-C mode).

My eye could not tell a difference in resolution vs. the NEX-7 despite being 18mpx vs. 24. The purple vignetting is also gone. This is a big winner for me as this is one of my favorite and most fun lenses. The small size of the lens made it very easy to handle and use in an extremely cramped environment.

Some sample shots...

DSC03260-X2.jpg

DSC03293-X2.jpg

DSC03296-X2.jpg

I'm heading to WDW in late July and I'm sure I'll be using this lens in Avatarland. I also picked up an excellent used copy of the FE 85 1.8 (for $400!) and am currently putting it through the rounds. So far I love what I see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter