Photostory and downloaded music?

billwendy

DIS Veteran
hi,

i am working on a picture show using photostory 3,,,,i downloaded a few songs to use in the show, and when i go to add them, it tells me the music is protected,,,,is there any way to get around this so i can use it as background music for my picture show? i purchased the music from walmart.com,,,

thanks, wendy

If you paid for the music you should be able to access it without the license still being attached to the file. Try burning it to a CD and then then rip a new copy back onto your computer. If it won't burn then you should call walmart.com and complain.

I've never had that problem yet. i ahve used music from nay places, even ripped off Cd's but stil no probs.

Please be aware if you are using commercial music in any of your videos or photo montage works you are by law required to have a license for that music. This has been the bane of the wedding video/photographer for years as couples routinely request a favorite song to be added to their video. The problem becomes trying to attempt to get said license. Most recording studios and record labels are not interesting in selling small quantities of licenses as they routinely deal in minimum units of 100,000. The difficulty is further expanded by the types of licenses on music. A song may be owned by the composer, lyrist, record label, artist, or a combination of all of the above. You have to have approval from each of these in order to use the music. We all think that if we buy a CD or purchase a track on the Internet that it provides us with the rights to use this music for other works but that is not the case. While you may not be caught for using commercial music on your personal slide show, if you are you can be prosecuted. This is especially concerning in the era we are not living within where the RIAA is litigation happy and practicing strong arm tactics to reel in Internet file sharing. Should they tap you as someone worth investigating for unlawful usage of music it may result in a fine or legal action. Just a forewarning.

This is just another reason why I believe an overhaul of copyright and rights management as it pertains to intellectual property is in order. I would be happy to pay the appropriate artist and obtain licenses for using commercial music in my work, someone just needs to make it less painful. Same goes for obtaining music. iTunes as a concept is a great first step but needs to be expanded to include offering a service for obtaining alternative use rights. The RIAA needs to understand their clientele and how the market is evolving and move with it to become part of the solution not part of the problem.

Jeff

If you are using it for personal use then you can use the music however you want to without worry. if you tried to sell the DVD using that music, then you would find out what being sued meant! It is the same with photographs, you can use as many as you want for personal use but don't try to use them on somethng that you sell or promote cuz then you could be in trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter