Picking rides in Epcot

Karen M

Earning My Ears
A little back story. Our son who is now 6 went to Disneyland with us when he was almost 3 for the first time. We took him on Pirates of the Caribbean for his first ride and basically scared the crap out of him. I of course did not realize that was going to happen. For the entire rest of the day it was hard to get him on many rides. Fast-forward to now and he is still not a huge fan of rides but will go on them after much convincing. I know picking FPs is essential and we will be doing that. I also know getting on certain rides at rope drops saves time and all that but I am trying to figure out what is going to be the best ride to start him out on so he doesn't think they all are scary. Any recommendations or plan would be much appreciated. Thank you

Living with the Land is as non-scary as they come, provided the child isn’t scare of thunderstorms as there is a thunderstorm scene.

The Nemo ride isn’t scary.

Gran Fiesta tour is certainly not scary.

Spaceship Earth isn’t scary, but it is dark, if that’s a concern.

My 17 yr old is terrified of sharks. You can sometimes see them swimming in the aquarium while you are on the Nemo ride. She says it is the scariest ride ever!

I'd start with Nemo or Frozen, and save Soarin and Test Track for later on. Frozen has a very small dip (in reverse) but the theming is terrific and I would think he should be ok.

It depends on how you define scary. Test Track is fast, but not what I would consider "scary". Spaceship Earth is dark, but again not scary. Honestly I don't think any of the rides in Epcot are scary at all, with the possible exception of Mission Space which can be pretty intense. As others have said your best bets to start with are Nemo, Living with the Land, Gran Fiesta Tour and possibly FEA (although there is a brief drop, backwards).

I'd start with Nemo or Frozen, and save Soarin and Test Track for later on. Frozen has a very small dip (in reverse) but the theming is terrific and I would think he should be ok.

It also has a small forward drop, which scared the bejeezus out of my toddler last year. It might be OK for a 6 year old, but I wouldn’t necessarily start there with a kid who is skittish about rides.

Nemo ride, Living with the Land and the Mexico ride are all safe - nothing scary. Spaceship earth is dark and you go up a huge hill and then down it backwards (but at barely moving super slow speed you barely know you're moving but when I was little I got scared thinking it was going to be a roller coaster since it was going up so tall and I freaked out and you're only 2 in a car). Not sure if that would make him nervous. Frozen ride has a little drop like pirates ride. The Figment Imagination ride is fun but one part has a big gust of air blown on you. I've never been on test track (thought I'd get motion sickness on it). I love Soarin but going high up in the air might scare him.

My DD was the same way. We took her for the first time when she was 4 1/2 and she was nervous about the rides. She did fine on Living with the Land and the Mexico ride. Nemo was OK, but she did duck her head into me when we came around to Bruce the Shark. She loved Figment and Turtle Talk with Crush. She did not like Spaceship Earth (too dark) and Frozen wasn't open at that time. Surprisingly she did love Soarin'. I know you mentioned Epcot, but MK has some great starter rides if that is an option: Small World, People Mover, Winnie the Pooh, Dumbo (if he isn't scared of heights), Carousel, Tea Cups.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts