Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

ThistleMae

Falling More in Love Every Year!
Is their reputation earned? I've been told insurance companies won't process claims related to any injuries. I know for a fact most campgrounds won't allow them on site, even if they are a mixed breed. My daughter has a mix, and he's the calmest, nicest dog...but I also saw him with my son's dog, and they got into a vicious fight...it was scary. Luckily my son, a big...strong man, was able to break them apart, but I wouldn't have been able to. I watch Judge Judy, and almost every case where an animal attack is involved, it's from a Pit-Bull. From what I've read, a Pit-Bull isn't a breed at all, but rather a mix of dog breed from the English bull terrier, the American bulldog, the boxer, the American pit bull terrier and the American Staffordshire terrier. “Pitbulls or pit bulls” are not recognized as a breed by the American Kennel Club (AKC). Your thoughts and experiences?

Dogs in general are a foe to me unless they are “true service dogs” or police dogs who have had countless of hours of specialized training.

Can be either.

Ds has a Blue Pit. She is a beautiful dog that is so calm and loving with people. She is protective but not viciously so. But she has attacked other dogs. And they had coyotes come on their land that she went after.

But I have also seen people with pits that were mean. They wanted them that way. They kept them in pens and away from their family because they knew they were dangerous.

Friend - but they are not for everyone. They need to be well trained. Ours is a big love bug, but the first thing I taught her was drop it and leave it. Once she has her mouth on something, there's no getting it away from her if she doesn't want to give it up.

Of course, now if I tell her to drop something inside the house, she runs to the kitchen with it and literally throws it at the treat jar.

Without a doubt, they are a friend. In fact, they're one of the most friendly and loyal breeds. Their bad reputation comes from knuckleheads who decide to mistreat them and train them to fight (because they are very strong and can be very defensive). However, if put into a loving home, they are big time friend. People just assume they are mean and unfriendly because of the news stories.

Our office dog is either a pit or some mix with pit and she is the biggest wuss. Friendly as can be. Lets people tease her. She is as gentle as can be. She is dog aggressive though. She has gotten a little better but she used to view smaller dogs as snacks. Never actually got her hands on one but would try to get to them.

She was abandoned, tied up to a post at the animal shelter and we don't know her history.

For real. What a disaster. Pit bulls = friend. People that don’t know how to properly care for pit bulls or any other type of dog = foe.
Exactly. The same complaints people have for Pitties could be said about my Boxer (except for the fact that he’s ancient). They’re high energy, muscular dogs. They also want nothing more than to please and love their people! :confused3

I personally believe it's all about the training myself. And I think this is true for all breeds. And they should be started young. But what about the rescue dogs...when you don't know what they've been exposed to. They could have PTSD and get unexpectedly triggered by something unintentional. But for campgrounds and insurance companies to essentially ban them, why have they been singled out?

Our office dog is either a pit or some mix with pit and she is the biggest wuss. Friendly as can be. Lets people tease her. She is as gentle as can be. She is dog aggressive though. She has gotten a little better but she used to view smaller dogs as snacks. Never actually got her hands on one but would try to get to them.

She was abandoned, tied up to a post at the animal shelter and we don't know her history.
Yes, when you don't know a dog's history, it could be a recipe for disaster. But I think this would be true with all breeds, not just pits.

I personally believe it's all about the training myself. And I think this is true for all breeds. And they should be started young. But what about the rescue dogs...when you don't know what they've been exposed to. They could have PTSD and get unexpectedly triggered by something unintentional. But for campgrounds and insurance companies to essentially ban them, why have they been singled out?
They have a certain reputation in popular culture, that people don’t want a part of. Other breeds are banned too, Rotties, Dobermans etc... They just don’t have the same stereotypes surrounding them.

My Boxer was rescued from a fighting ring... Guess what? He’s also reactive to dogs. It’s not a trait of the bred.
I know someone is going to come along and say it’s bred into them, but I won’t argue with them. No point.
How is he around strangers? Just curious, especially because he was a fighting dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!