Pit-Bull's...friend or foe?

quite true, but this shows that it is not just "big" dogs that can turn on people. smaller dog breeds, many of which are considered harmless, can attach humans as well.

I'm hoping you aren't seriously comparing the threat of small dogs that nip at your ankles to larger breeds that can kill. That can literally mean the difference between life & death. I'm surprised anyone would consider the two situations comparable.

I'm hoping you aren't seriously comparing the threat of small dogs that nip at your ankles to larger breeds that can kill. That can literally mean the difference between life & death. I'm surprised anyone would consider the two situations comparable.

Actually there have been cases of smaller dogs fatally attacking people. Not chihuahuas but smaller than the dogs we have been talking about here.

I think perhaps the pp’s point is that ALL dogs have the potential to attack. Will all dogs do the same damage? No. But that doesn’t make them less likely to attack.

Actually there have been cases of smaller dogs fatally attacking people. Not chihuahuas but smaller than the dogs we have been talking about here.

I think perhaps the pp’s point is that ALL dogs have the potential to attack. Will all dogs do the same damage? No. But that doesn’t make them less likely to attack.

Sorry, but I think that's a far fetched point to make. The bite in the bark makes a huge difference. IMO, that's the whole point of this thread. Some dog breeds simply have the potential to be more deadly than others.

Sorry, but I think that's a far fetched point to make. The bite in the bark makes a huge difference. IMO, that's the whole point of this thread. Some dog breeds simply have the potential to be more deadly than others.

The size of the dog makes the difference, not viciousness. And yes it makes a difference when a dog bites if the dog is a larger dog.

I have a Cur. Same size or a little bigger than a Pit. He has the ability to do the same damage as a Pit. As does any dog that size. Just because he isn’t a pit doesn’t mean we should not be aware of the fact that he could bite. He is extremely protective of us and our home. We have to be aware of that and make sure he knows it’s ok when someone comes to the house.

I have a small mixed breed dog. Much more aggressive than the Cur. While most of the aggressiveness has been squashed, we still take precautions. He is food aggressive or was so he is fed in his kennel. Should I not because he isn’t a pit and can’t do “as much damage”?

Any dog with aggressive tendacies is a potential problem. That’s all that was being said. Pits aren’t some kind of evil entity.

I don’t understand why any reasonable person would want to own a Pitt bull. The continual sticking up for the bread on this thread is reduculous. The are banned in the area I live in Canada and existing grandfathered in ones have very strict restrictions. There aren’t many left, thankfully. There is a reason pttt bulls are banned and other breeds are not. And the reason isn’t that the breed has a false or imagined reputation.

I don’t understand why any reasonable person would want to own a Pitt bull. The continual sticking up for the bread on this thread is reduculous. The are banned in the area I live in Canada and existing grandfathered in ones have very strict restrictions. There aren’t many left, thankfully. There is a reason pttt bulls are banned and other breeds are not. And the reason isn’t that the breed has a false or imagined reputation.
I don't think anyone in here said the breed has a false or imagined reputation. There have been some very thoughtful considerations regarding the breed as well as examples of other dogs who have unexpectedly lashed out. I don't believe any of these considerations are ridiculous.

No it isn't false or imagined. But, one needs to step back and realize that many of the "pit bull" or "pit mix" attacks haven't been pit bulls at all. Of course every attack makes the news. But does every dog attack?

And what happens when the neighbors Great Dane attacks someone? Its ok because its not a Pit?

As far as "any reasonable person", that obviously comes from someone who knows little about the breed. DS's pit is the most loving dog you could ever meet. She isn't aggressive. Has never shown aggression (except to coyotes). She loves her belly to be rubbed and is always curious about what is going on with the family and has to visit with every one who comes over.

I would hope any potential dog owner, would carefully choose, no matter the breed. I think there are many good suggestions in here, that are reasonable considerations if choosing a Pit. I don't think they should be ruled out as a selection unless there is a reason, not just because of the breed itself. There are any number of dogs out there, that may not make a good pet. Using good judgement, watching for any warning signs, considering the dog's history or lack thereof, or any type of aggressive behavior should be factored in, just like the woman whose mother was considering a Pit but it showed aggression toward other dogs, and now she's moved on. That doesn't mean that another Pit may be entirely different. Obviously there are many, many Pit owners who have wonderful dogs.

BSL is declining in the U.S.

Cities that once had them are repealing them, not all of course, but it is still happening.

I watched my dogs life end in a horrific and violent attack. It was completely unbelievable how violent and instant the attack was. There isn't a person on the face of this earth that will convince me that Pit Bulls aren't capable of incredible acts of violence that almost never end well. I wish all of you luck who have them. One day you might need it.

I watched my dogs life end in a horrific and violent attack. It was completely unbelievable how violent and instant the attack was. There isn't a person on the face of this earth that will convince me that Pit Bulls aren't capable of incredible acts of violence that almost never end well. I wish all of you luck who have them. One day you might need it.
So terribly sorry for your loss. Dogs are vicious when they attack, very scary. I've seen aggressive dog behaviors when two dogs go at it. Never seen one that ended in tragedy...luckily. I would think any aggressive dog is dangerous, not just a Pit. Again, so sorry for your loss.

My area spays/neuters pit bull and pit bull mixes ( probably anything that looks like a pit pull) for free. Many, if not most of the shelter dogs look like pits, so reducing their numbers seems beneficial for the breed and the people.

And there are areas who are adding the ban.
Perhaps. Just advising it's on the decline here. Not every governing body agrees (which is par for the course).

Here in my metro it's simply a matter of city lines. Live in one city that bans them (which is declining), move to another city that doesn't ban them.

My area spays/neuters pit bull and pit bull mixes ( probably anything that looks like a pit pull) for free. Many, if not most of the shelter dogs look like pits, so reducing their numbers seems beneficial for the breed and the people.
Spay and neutering should be done for cats and dogs in general--it helps reduce overpopulation issues.

That being said some areas that don't have outright bans for pit bulls or other breeds do have rules that they need to be spayed or neutered.

Spay and neutering should be done for cats and dogs in general--it helps reduce overpopulation issues.

That being said some areas that don't have outright bans for pit bulls or other breeds do have rules that they need to be spayed or neutered.

I'm sure it varies by state but here, any pet adopted from the humane society has to be fixed. If, for some reason, they can't be ( too young, health issues, etc) then the adopter has to put down a deposit that they don't get back until they can prove it's been done.

I was shocked at how many people came through an adoption event DS and I were at who wanted an unaltered dog and declined to adopt when told it was a requirement.

I'm sure it varies by state but here, any pet adopted from the humane society has to be fixed. If, for some reason, they can't be ( too young, health issues, etc) then the adopter has to put down a deposit that they don't get back until they can prove it's been done.

I was shocked at how many people came through an adoption event DS and I were at who wanted an unaltered dog and declined to adopt when told it was a requirement.
I think here it varies by where you get them (shelter, rescue place, humane society, etc) though I don't know immediately at the top of my head.

We adopted our cat through a cat's only shelter/rescue (very small operation). His adoption fee including him getting neutered before we took him home. We actually adopted him when he was nearly 2 months old but he was not at the proper weight to get neutered so we had to wait an extra week for him to gain weight, have the surgery and a day or two after the surgery for recovery. After that then we were able to take him home. It was a very long week for me lol.

I do know that it's common enough here for cities to charge more money for the registration of the cat or dog when they are unaltered.

That makes me ill.

I am so sorry you have to watch that and go through that. My sil had a small dog that was killed by her brother's dog. Its heartbreaking.

No one thinks they aren't capable of it. Any large dog is capable of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter