• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Places to rest within park for solo

Claudia Kellenberger

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone ! :wave2: I am well used to going solo, I have already done this for FIVE early Decembers in a row.
I love WDW solo. My DH stays home with our two beloved cats.

I would like some ideas on places for me to rest. I love the parks so much; I just don't want to leave when I'm tired. Sometimes my lower back hurts, but I just don't want to go back to my resort just yet. Please give me some good ideas and places where it is good to rest. I am a woman, by the time I get to WDW this December, I will be 51 years of age. Although I don't smoke, a smoking area is OK as long as it is very well ventilated.

Thanks So Much !

I like to ride the TTA around a few times to get off my feet for a little while.

Deb

Hi Claudia!
Having done many several solo trips, I'm pretty good at finding "suitable" resting places in the parks. But let me start with an editorial comment-that's one of the advantages of the Epcot area resorts at Chrismas time-a few steps back to your room, you don't really feel like you left Epcot.
In MK, I've found many rocking chairs-side of (used to be) kitchen house near HM, porch in Fontierland, outside Hall of Presidents, and if there's no wait, I love to go out to sit in the ones on TSI. My favorites are over facing BTMRR, take a left as you get off the raft. Once, I did leave the park-just sat on the monorail for several trips around, then got off at GF for a little while and rested in an overstuffed chair in the lobby.
In AK, I like to sit on a bench on Discovery Island Trails and just listen to the backround music. Hardly anyone on those trails.
In Epcot there are several places in WS, in the rear area of the different countries-not many people venture more than about 10 feet from the "main thoroughfare". I love areas in the rear portion of Japan or United Kingdom (if the British Invasion isn't playing!)
Oh, yes-one other place I just discovered-you MAY already know it-upstairs in Pinochio Village Haus. Sat up there for about an hour-packed downstairs but in that hour, no one else came up the stairs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

The TTA is really restful. One day I caught a glimpse of SM with the lights on in there. Great view!

In the Pinoccio Village Haus, is the upstairs protected by a roof, or is it a balcony in the sun? Each time I was there, the 2nd floor was closed off. I didn't even think to ask if I could go up there. I think I'm going to have to make that one of my goals this December.

I've found a few little spots that are quiet, most of the time at least:

MK
- the rose garden pavillion
- benches on the walkway to the side of the Castle
- the "hidden" walkway between SM and the Toontown train station

Epcot
- the butterfly garden
- UK garden
- Japanese garden or Matsu No Ma Lounge (snack and quiet)

MGM
- patio outside Starring Rolls
- Catwalk Bar (listed in fond memory)

AK
- the patio on the side of the ice cream stand in Africa
- the "underground" fish observatories near the Tree of Life (cool and quiet)
- several trails along the sides have benches or tables

Originally posted by Claudia Kellenberger
[B
In the Pinoccio Village Haus, is the upstairs protected by a roof, or is it a balcony in the sun? Each time I was there, the 2nd floor was closed off. I didn't even think to ask if I could go up there. I think I'm going to have to make that one of my goals this December. [/B]

The upstairs is still inside, it also is a nice balcony where you can see the goings on downstairs. When I was there, the Fantasyland Sax quartet was playing downstairs and I got to watch their entire show. It sort of reminds me of the upstairs in Columbia Harbor House, but much smaller and an open area to see downstairs (I guess just the wooden tables is all that reminds me of CHH!) Since no one else ever came upstairs, I double-checked when I went back down, but there was no rope or sign or anything, just habit I guess, that kept anyone else from ever going upstairs.
I'd forgotten about that rose garden pavillion-the old swan boat landing. That's another great place!

The TTA is a nice rest as others have said. If Carousel of Progress is running at the time that is a great rest for weary feet.

In Epcot, any of the benches along world showcase are great choices. I have made use of them many times.

Here are a few places for "Relaxing Time at WDW" that I've added to our trip information. (FH and I am going for our honeymoon in August - first visit to Disney!) Sorry if some of these are repeated from above, I just cut & paste. Most of these suggestions are from the DIS, particularly the WDW Secrets thread.

:)

Animal Kingdom

• Take the Discovery Island Trails, where you'll find several peaceful benches where you can sit and rest, listen to the music.

• Go to FlameTree BBQ for lunch (or just order a beer in the afternoon), then go to the left of the building and find a nice table to sit at. They are all in the shade, and there are quite a few down by the water, very quiet.

• Sit by the exit of Kali River Rapids (before you go over the bridge toward the ride) on a bench behind one of the kiosks, and watch the monkeys.

• The train ride to conservation station is relaxing.

• Across from the Dawa Bar on Discovery Island is what appears to be an old fort. Don't assume that the area is off limits -- there are actually tables and chairs in there! It's the perfect quiet spot to take a cool drink or a snack and get out of the flow of traffic.

EPCOT

• Japan - The Matsu-No-Ma Lounge in the Japan pavilion is a quiet retreat from the hub-bub of a busy theme park day. Walk up the steps of the pavilion's department store to find the unusually peaceful lounge on the second floor. There you can sip sake (or another beverage of your choice) while gazing out of the large picture windows, looking out over the lagoon, watching the crowds go by or the preparations of that night's showing of IllumiNations.

• Japan - Sit in the gardens & look at the Koi fish.

• Norway - Get a drink. Sit on a shady bench & eat an open-faced sandwich & share a desert from the Norwegan Bakery....along with a couple more beverages. People watching & relaxation at its finest!

• Mexico - There is a walkway to the left as you exit Future World and head towards Mexico. There are some benches along the way. We spent about an hour there relaxing and having some popcorn while the kids watched the birds on the lake. It was perfect just to relax and soak up the atmosphere.

• The path leading to Test Track has a beautiful Butterfly Garden that features plantings designed to entice the winged beauties. It's a quiet spot not too far from Cool Wash misting station on the way toward World Showcase.

MGM

• Sit outside of Pizza Planet in the shade near the Miss Piggy fountain.

Magic Kingdom

• Main Street Exposition Center, Sponsored by Kodak (near Tony’s) - Go into the building right after you come out of the railroad station. It has a little movie theater that shows classic Disney cartoons. Since it is somewhat dim in there, you can have a short "cat nap." Go back outside and sit at the top of the train station. You go up the steps and right to the center of the balcony. A perfect bird’s eye view to sit and look straight at Cinderella's Castle.

• Need a break from the busy Main Street bustle? Pop in for a soda and a hot dog at Casey's Corner, on your left as you're walking toward the castle, between Main Street and the Crystal Palace Restaurant. Tucked in a back room are a few quiet tables and benches, in front of a wide-screen television playing old black-and-white sports-themed Disney cartoons! Or, if you venture to the outside seating area, you might stumble across the ragtime piano player who performs periodically throughout the day. He takes requests!

• Take the train around MK. It provides a different prospective and a nice break too.

• On the side of the Hall of Presidents' building, across from the Liberty Bell in Liberty Square, you'll spy two old-fashioned rocking chairs on a small brick porch. They're not just props -- you really can rock away a few minutes (or hours) from this comfy spot. Stop at Sleepy Hollow for some caramel corn or an ice cream sandwich, and bring your treats back to the chairs for savoring as you people-watch from this out-of-the-way spot.

• Behind the Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square, there are lots of benches in the shade.

• The "Story time with Belle" gardens in Fantasyland are nice, if you can get there just after a show. There is a lot of shade and benches, and it is tucked neatly away, so most people just walk right on by and don't even notice it!

• There is a walkway between Tomorrowland and Toon Town at that is wonderful. It has benches to sit on and you can sit and relax and watch the train pass every few minutes with happy families waving to you from onboard. Not many people use this walkway and for Magic Kingdom, it really is relatively quiet.

• The Carousel of Progress is relaxing ride, but not boring. (Tomorrowland)

• Also relaxing is the Tomorrowland Transit Authority. You can just keep riding this ride without getting off if you want. It's a nice place to rest your feet. (This is a way to see the inside of Space Mountain without riding it)

• Near Space Mountain (Tomorrowland), take a stroll around the side of the building along the shady path. You'll come upon a circle of private benches that afford you an excellent view of the WDW Railroad as it circles the MK.

• Around twilight, take a walk through the All American Rose Garden outside Cinderella Castle (between the Castle and Tomorrowland), down near the old Swan Boat dock. It's off the beaten path, but offers beautiful views of the castle and the heavenly smell of roses surrounds you. Occasionally, you'll even find a family of ducks, with their ducklings, waddling amongst the blooms.

• Leave the park for a little while at mid-day. If you want to do something quick, you can hop on the monorail (resort side) and visit one of the monorail resorts, or just enjoy going around the loop. If you have a little more time, you can walk to the left of the monorail and hop on one of the resort boats. Take a ride around the lake and stop to visit a resort for drinks or lunch. For a longer break, take the boat over to Fort Wilderness. They have a petting zoo and a great spot for a buffet lunch. You will feel like you've traveled back in time and that you're nowhere near Disney.

Did anyone suggest taking the train around MK? I find that relaxing and calming (and cool!) And you can stay on for multi-trips!

The area in front of American Adventure in WS is nice, too.

The beach area of the Polynesian at sunset & twilight is nice. There's a swing/chair there that allows you to drag your feet through the nice white sand while you watch Cindy's castle start to change colors.

I think going to any of the deluxe resorts and just relaxing in their lobbies is wonderful. AKL is beautiful as if GF or Poly.

I travel alone and absolutely love the luxury of being able to sit down and relax wherever and whenever I want at WDW.

Claudia - I am 57 and will be there Dec. 1-15. I've been going at this time for almost 10 years.

There are some great suggestions above. Basically I just sit down whenever and wherever I can.

One of my favorite things to do is to take the monorail over to GF. The Christmas decorations are spectacular. I usually will have tea there in the afternoon. If I can't get in for tea - I just sit in one of those big comfy chairs in the lobby.

I love to resort hop during the holidays. I have an AP so I don't mind if I just go to a park for a few hours - don't feel like I'm "wasting" a day's admission.

I will often do a sit down meal in the late afternoon. It's fairly easy to be seated at 3:30 without a PS. The beauty of a solo trip especially at a non-busy time is that you can just stop on a dime to do what you feel like.

We rested upstairs in the Harbour something restaurant at the MK.

We sat upstairs in a nook and actually had the entire upstairs to ourselves so DH took his shoes off (discreetly under the table)

We stayed there quite awhile because it was cool, quiet, private, and we had a view of the crowds down below which was entertaining to me.

We felt 100% better afterwards.

It's a counter service, so you can just get a drink or a snack and sit as long as you like.

Karen

At EPCOT we did the same thing in the Morrocan counter service place.

We sat on their terrace, again we were the only ones there. This time Dh kept his shoes on.....but we sat there for quite awhile to regroup.

I ordered a kids meal there and no one cared. So it was a relatively inexensive way to sit in a nice spot and rest.

We use the Transportation Authority, but our favorite is going into the Hall of Presidents......It is a nice place to rest and get cool:Pinkbounc

Hi Claudia,

Great suggestions above.

In AK, plenty of benches in the character island area by Lion King theater. I believe there are also a few seating areas on the trails on the backside of the Tree of Life.

In Epcot, any of the benches around the WS are great to rest in and especially the park area behind UK. Also in Turkey there is a sort of mosque type room (completely tiled) half way down the main walkway on the left. I've been in there (very few people actually walk in there and look around) and there are benches to sit and rest and is very quiet.

In MGM, the area around Echo Lake is nice to sit around. There are seats outside of H&V rest. which you can relax at as well. Also there are benches outside of the back area where Mama Melrose's is and it gets quiet back there as well. The second floor of Pizzafari is nice to relax in if you don't go during the main lunch hour of 12:00 to 1:30 and there is also a small bathroom as well.

In MK, I have to agree about the walkway from Toontown to Tomorrowland - very quiet. The table area over by El Pir. rest. behind POTC and on the walkway going to Splash Mtn - always quiet. You can always take a cruise on the riverboat as well.

Have a great relaxing trip with plenty of breaks.

P.S. - forgot this but some of the parks used to have AP lounges. If you have an AP, you may want to inquire as to which parks may still have them or not.

DW and I go to WDW several times a year. At least once with our married kids and their children. At MK, the kids always have to make a trip to Tom Sawyer Island. Not being much for climbing hills and rope bridges, DW and I grab a couple of rocking chairs on the raft landing and rock while we wait for the kids to tire out. It is shady and restful and allows for lots of people watching as the other guests arrive and depart the island.

Other places in MK that provide a cool, quiet rest are the TTA tram ride and the Carousel of Progress in Tomorrowland.

What great suggestions! I enjoy my solo WDW trips, and especially like being able to change plans at a moment's notice. One thing I love doing - though not necessarily relaxing - is taking the monorail from the TTC to Epcot at night. I love seeing the lights of Epcot as the monorail goes over Future World, and it's even more beautiful when decorated for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter