Places you would never want to go on Hoilday

Though I love our National Park system, I have no desire to visit Death Valley National Park. In 5th grade we were each assigned a national park and had to write the park (pre-Internet days!) and ask them to mail us info on the park. We used the brochures/planning guides to do presentations and write a paper. As you can guess I was assigned Death Valley, and one of the brochures had a family of skeletons sitting in their car; it was all about how you can quite easily lose your life if you don't plan very, very carefully. For some reason, that caused me to get a bad association with that park as a kid:rotfl2:and I still can't quite get past it.

US Citizens age 16 and over need a passport OR passport card to travel to Canada by car. Passport only for air.

^^ Yep. When I first moved to WNY I used to be able to just use my regular driver license to cross the border, but nowadays (maybe within the last 5 years? Not sure exactly) you have to have a Passport or in the case of NYS an Enhanced License (not sure how it is for other border states).

To answer the question, I'd try just about anywhere at least once, except North Korea, and some other war-torn/dangerous areas like Syria or something.

Africa has never interested me.
Most places that are hot. ( I visit WDW in the late fall/winter)
I used to LOVE camping as a kid. (Was a Girl Guide) but now I prefer a comfy bed and indoor plumbing.
And places where the laws restrict women's rights and body autonomy.

I believe that’s only to come by plane or sea. I’ve only ever had to use a drivers licence.
When is the last time you crossed? :confused3 I'm pretty sure all border crossings require passports now.
That’s a crisp fall day around here. :lmao:
Crisp fall day in Calgary. :rolleyes1 Yeah, now that I think about it, it's no wonder people have Alberta on their no-go lists.

When is the last time you crossed? :confused3 I'm pretty sure all border crossings require passports now.

Crisp fall day in Calgary. :rolleyes1 Yeah, now that I think about it, it's no wonder people have Alberta on their no-go lists.

The last time I crossed was about three years ago? Maybe four? I don’t have a passport so that’s how I know I didn’t use one to cross by car.

The last time I crossed was about three years ago? Maybe four? I don’t have a passport so that’s how I know I didn’t use one to cross by car.
I've only rarely every crossed by land. It's more like 10 years ago since my last time and since we've had passports for longer than I can remember, we used them them. A quick google search says it's not possible (legally) today in either direction to cross without a passport.

I've only rarely every crossed by land. It's more like 10 years ago since my last time and since we've had passports for longer than I can remember, we used them them. A quick google search says it's not possible (legally) today in either direction to cross without a passport.

Then I guess it’s good I have no plans to head south any time soon.

or Multnomah Falls...I was in awe of the beauty of the Pacific Northwest. One of my earliest childhood memories is of Mount Rushmore, and still have my plush from childhood visit to Yellowstone (covered in rabbit fur-bet you don't find that in these days ) And for those saying no National parks-guess you have never been to nor plan on going to Washington DC as most monuments etc managed by national parks services...:P

I had to google Multnomah Falls as I had never heard of them! Gorgeous!!!

Last August we went to the Pacific Northwest. Spent 3 days in Olympic NP. It was great, but I know we missed out on a LOT of the beauty as the smoke was thick from all of the fires in August. Happily, the smoke wasn't bad at Mount Rainier NP!!

Funny that you mention Mount Rushmore being one of your earliest memories!! I went there as a kid with my family and it was my hands down favorite place we visited on that trip!!! And we visited a lot of places!! I bought a souvenir booklet of Mount Rushmore and I still have it!! its over 40 years old!! I brought my own family to Mount Rushmore on a western trip 12 years ago and I loved it just as much as I did as a kid and my kids loved it too!!

Good point about the DC monuments being run by the NP service!

I just don't get all the National Park hate!?!
You don't have to camp, and can see amazing sights and have incredible experiences.
The Awahnee (or now the Yosemite Hotel or whatever it's called) is one of the most amazing hotels in the country. Tea at Acadia National Park is delicious. Almost all National Parks have hotels on sight and most have perfectly fine, and in some cases absolutely amazing, restaurants.

Go explore!

Totally agree with you!!!

We have traveled to sooooo many NP's. My goal is to visit all of them! And no, we don't camp. We stay in the NP Lodges. I plan our trips a year in advance and even a year out, it can be very hard to get the nights we want at various parks! I also agree about the restaurants!! Top notch!!

Totally agree with you!!!

We have traveled to sooooo many NP's. My goal is to visit all of them! And no, we don't camp. We stay in the NP Lodges. I plan our trips a year in advance and even a year out, it can be very hard to get the nights we want at various parks! I also agree about the restaurants!! Top notch!!
I just got my new National Park Annual Pass today, and I’ll be going to three parks in Alaska next month! Can’t wait!

...In 5th grade we were each assigned a national park and had to write the park (pre-Internet days!) and ask them to mail us info on the park. We used the brochures/planning guides to do presentations and write a paper...

I remember those reports! My class did states, and I was assigned Rhode Island. Their Chamber of Commerce was great and sent me a bunch of stuff! I still remember being excited to get a huge envelope in the mail.

We love to travel! Off of our list is any place the State Department says is a level 3 or above. There are a few other places that we won't go due to other factors, such as access to health care or disagreement with the policies or procedures of the area.

I'm not a fan of traditional tent camping. Give me a motor home or lodge or cabin, and I'm in! National park? I'm there! Cruising? Count me in!

I'd avoid temperature extremes, such as Georgia in the summer or Iceland in the winter, but other than that, I'll go. I love to go exploring. Who knew that Pittsburgh could be fun in August?

Unless you let DH choose the accommodations. He really stinks at finding good hotels. His choices have included a no name brand-less motel in a very questionable area of Asheville, NC where the door wouldn't lock properly and paint was falling from the ceiling (I was tired and discovered both when I woke up the next morning), a brand name 3-star (according to them) motel in Akron, OH where we found hypodermic needles underneath the bed (thanks, housekeeping), and another brand name 3-star motel off of I-4 in California where we ended up having to evacuate in the middle of the night due to the police finding a meth lab a few doors down. He's been banned from travel planning, other than approvals, since then!

I have another to add to my list.
In addition to the Ark encounter and chain restaurants I would like to add
Any place where someone defaced the natural beauty of the place by carving somebody's likeness on it.
That would include Mt Rushmore and Stone Mountain. Imagine Yosemite if someone carved somebody's face into Half Dome. Ewww.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!