"Plan of Attack" for DA?

HLAuburn

DIS Veteran
We are going down for DDs birthday M-W next week. We planned to just do IOA, but now that they've lifted the blackout dates, we are thinking about doing US too, especially to see DA.

We are staying onsite - so if the park opens at 9:00a and we can get in at 8:00a, what time should be at the park gate? And then when it opens, does everyone make a mad dash to DA? What are the wait times for Gringott's first thing in the morning, before the park officially opens?

Any strategies I should know about?! I usually have this all planned out and know all the details, but since we just found out we can go to US too, I'm freaking out a little. :rotfl:

Thanks!!

We were there yesterday (8/1) and park opened at 9 , with 8am EE. We got to Studios at approx. 6:45am. Three park employees were at the entrance telling people that Studios EE was not open until 8am but that Islands opened early at 7am and directed people over to Islands. I asked a park employee how early could we line up at Studios ? He told us we were "not allowed" to line up earlier than 8am. I knew from the information here that people were lining up earlier than that. I argued with him for a few minutes and he said fine, that we could line up but we were NOT getting into the park before 8. We walked past him over to the turnstiles and lo and behold, found a whole bunch of people already lined up! Each turnstile had a line of about 7-8 groups of people lined up in a row behind each turnstile. We were let into the park at 7:25am and was in line for Gringotts at 7:45am for a 15 minute wait. When we exited the ride, the wait was 90 min.

It was definitely worth it to get up early to beat the crowd. Not only to ride Gringotts with a short wait but to get to explore Diagon Alley with no crowds. Immediately after riding Gringotts, we took the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade with no wait. We checked on the ride time for FJ ( 60 min) and poked in the shops in Hogsmeade. We took the train back to London at about 9:30 with a 20 min wait. Gringotts was at a 240 min wait. We then spent the morning exploring Diagon Alley and ate at The Leaky Cauldron. We left Diagon Alley at about noon. Gringotts was at a 195 min wait then.

I hope this information helps you and have a great trip!

Kim

We were there yesterday (8/1) and park opened at 9 , with 8am EE. We got to Studios at approx. 6:45am. Three park employees were at the entrance telling people that Studios EE was not open until 8am but that Islands opened early at 7am and directed people over to Islands. I asked a park employee how early could we line up at Studios ? He told us we were "not allowed" to line up earlier than 8am. I knew from the information here that people were lining up earlier than that. I argued with him for a few minutes and he said fine, that we could line up but we were NOT getting into the park before 8. We walked past him over to the turnstiles and lo and behold, found a whole bunch of people already lined up! Each turnstile had a line of about 7-8 groups of people lined up in a row behind each turnstile. We were let into the park at 7:25am and was in line for Gringotts at 7:45am for a 15 minute wait. When we exited the ride, the wait was 90 min.

It was definitely worth it to get up early to beat the crowd. Not only to ride Gringotts with a short wait but to get to explore Diagon Alley with no crowds. Immediately after riding Gringotts, we took the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade with no wait. We checked on the ride time for FJ ( 60 min) and poked in the shops in Hogsmeade. We took the train back to London at about 9:30 with a 20 min wait. Gringotts was at a 240 min wait. We then spent the morning exploring Diagon Alley and ate at The Leaky Cauldron. We left Diagon Alley at about noon. Gringotts was at a 195 min wait then.

I hope this information helps you and have a great trip!

Kim

Thank you! That's very helpful! So is the 7:30ish EE time seem to be more of the norm these days or is it usually closer to 8:00? I'm not sure we will be able to make it to the gates any early than 7:00 (2 little kids!) but hopefully that will be early enough.
What's the fastest way to DA? By Transformers or by Mel's Diner...or do you even have a choice with EE? And once you're into DA, where exactly is Gringott's? (Is it easy to find?) I guess we will just follow the crowds!

Thanks again!!

We will probably have a stroller and definitely a bag. So when we get to Gringott's, can we just park the stroller and head into the line? I read something about one person putting the bags in lockers once you're already in line, is that right?

Thanks!

We will probably have a stroller and definitely a bag. So when we get to Gringott's, can we just park the stroller and head into the line? I read something about one person putting the bags in lockers once you're already in line, is that right?

Thanks!

If you're doing child swap you won't need to worry about lockers. If you aren't doing child swap, sounds like they let one person put the bags in a locker and then meet you back in line.

To find Gringotts, just look for the dragon (it's hard to miss!)

I think while the crowds are high, they will let you in earlier than 8am. If you are in line by 7ish, I think you'll be ok. Once thru the turnstile and in the park, there is a roped off area just before Despicable Me where you will have to show your room key for early entry. Then everyone is diverted over towards MIB then past Fear Factor into London. You cannot get into any other park area that early. You just follow the crowd. Incidentally, we had heard horror stories about people running/pushing/trampling others once thru the turnstiles. While we saw many people running, we did not witness anyone being pushed out the way or run over. My friend and I walk slowly, so many many people who were behind us in line at the turnstiles passed us up and we still had only a 15 min wait for Gringotts.

Since all of our wait was inside Gringotts, I had to wait outside the line while my friend got the locker. I just waited next to the attendant near the entrance to Gringotts and when my friend joined me, he let us into line. If the line stretches outside you can get into line while the other person gets a locker and then they can join you.

I think while the crowds are high, they will let you in earlier than 8am. If you are in line by 7ish, I think you'll be ok. Once thru the turnstile and in the park, there is a roped off area just before Despicable Me where you will have to show your room key for early entry. Then everyone is diverted over towards MIB then past Fear Factor into London. You cannot get into any other park area that early. You just follow the crowd. Incidentally, we had heard horror stories about people running/pushing/trampling others once thru the turnstiles. While we saw many people running, we did not witness anyone being pushed out the way or run over. My friend and I walk slowly, so many many people who were behind us in line at the turnstiles passed us up and we still had only a 15 min wait for Gringotts.

Since all of our wait was inside Gringotts, I had to wait outside the line while my friend got the locker. I just waited next to the attendant near the entrance to Gringotts and when my friend joined me, he let us into line. If the line stretches outside you can get into line while the other person gets a locker and then they can join you.

Thanks again!

Now with IOA opening an hour earlier than US, what about the option of using EE at IOA and taking the HE to DA?

I read that the one-way trains (from IOA to US) are now starting around 7:20, so wouldn't that put you there earlier than the crowd who's waiting to enter US and has to walk all the way to the back? :confused3

We were told by the same Guest Services twit that Hogwarts Express would not run until 8am from Hogsmeade to London, but I don't really know if that is true. IF HE runs earlier than 8, it might be an option, but I'm not sure what the wait times would be. HE is a great ride and a nice way to travel between parks.

We were told by the same Guest Services twit that Hogwarts Express would not run until 8am from Hogsmeade to London, but I don't really know if that is true. IF HE runs earlier than 8, it might be an option, but I'm not sure what the wait times would be. HE is a great ride and a nice way to travel between parks.

I read in another forum that you could start taking the HE at 7:30 from IOA.

If it is me, one adult, with 2 younger kids, do I need to put our things into a locker before even getting in line for Gringotts? Are the lockers nearby the ride?

Yes , you would have to get a locker before getting in line. The lockers are near the entrance to the bank.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter