Plan, plan and plan some more-AKA Mom's driving her son nuts- A September 2017 PTR

CatNipRules

DIS Veteran
Okay, so we are planning another trip this September. There will be three of us.

When September 11th thru the 21st- At Disney
We will spend 4 days at Universal September 21st thru the 25th

Cast of Characters-

Michelle. AKA Mom. AKA the woman that drives her son nuts planning a trip 9 months before our trip. Favorite Character-Eeyore
Favorite Park-Tie Between Animal Kingdom and EPCOT
Favorite Ride-Buzz Lightyear

DS1- AKA Chris AKA My 20 year old son that doesn't care about whatever plans I make. He's also paying for the trip for my birthday.

Favorite Character-Stitch
Favorite Park- Hands down it's EPCOT It has been since he first started going to Disney when he was 3. It's the first park we go to every trip.
Favorite Ride-Expedition Everest

Adopted DS 2- AKA Jordan. Also 20. He's not really my son, but he is Chris' best friend and spends just as much time at my house as his own. I've sort of adopted him.

This will be his first trip since he was little. So, for the purposes of this report he's a Disney newbie. He has no idea how addictive Disney is. I will make sure he is amazed and dazzled and is able to see the goodness that is Disney!! That is my mission. And I choose to accept it.

His favorite character is Stitch. Chris told him about Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor and he's looking forward to that show.

We are going to do 8 days at the parks. Park Hoppers of course. Since we have 2 young adult men we are going to do the Deluxe Dining plan.

We will be getting together and talking about all of our plans and I will post them here....

Following along! We will be leaving 2 days before you arrive. It sounds like you will have a super fun time with your son and his friend! I look forward to reading more about your trip!

Following along! We will be leaving 2 days before you arrive. It sounds like you will have a super fun time with your son and his friend! I look forward to reading more about your trip!

Thanks for joining in. We hare super excited about our trip.

Okay, so we have solidified some of our plans for the trip..

We decided to stay offsite for the Universal stay. The reason? We can save $1200. The price my Travel agent quoted me was nearly the same price as if we stay at a hotel offsite. Yeah, it means a bit of driving and playing for parking, but it's okay.

The company Chris works for has discounts on park admission. You pay for 2 days and get 2 days free. Can't beat that. So for $235 we get 4 days at Universal.

Then, we go over to Disney and start the best part of the trip. LOL!! Yeah I like Universal, but Disney is my heart.

I was going to do the middle dining plan, but Chris wants to do the Deluxe. That way we have everything paid for and if we decide that we want an extra table service meal or an extra breakfast or lunch. Still hoping for free dining.

Went onto a dinging plan calculator web site and lets just say we are going to be eating a lot of food. But I guess with two young men we will probably use it.

We always seem to have an issue with using our snack credits. I think it's mostly because we forget that we have them. LOL!! We will have to make sure and do that this time. Otherwise we end up with a ton of the candy from Downtown Disney. I think my son still has some left from September.

Going through and kinda looking at the different restaurant menus. More the sit down menus. Mostly because we have one picky eater in my son. Jordan will eat anything. LOL!!

The hardest thing will be getting Jordan up early. He's not a morning person. Even Chris knows that we get up early when we were at Disney.

We are going to be driving down. I'm not renting a car. Taking my car. The only bad thing is that it's very light on trunk space.

Can't wait until we can do our ADR's and Fastpasses....

Okay, so we have solidified some of our plans for the trip..

We decided to stay offsite for the Universal stay. The reason? We can save $1200. The price my Travel agent quoted me was nearly the same price as if we stay at a hotel offsite. Yeah, it means a bit of driving and playing for parking, but it's okay.

The company Chris works for has discounts on park admission. You pay for 2 days and get 2 days free. Can't beat that. So for $235 we get 4 days at Universal.

Then, we go over to Disney and start the best part of the trip. LOL!! Yeah I like Universal, but Disney is my heart.

I was going to do the middle dining plan, but Chris wants to do the Deluxe. That way we have everything paid for and if we decide that we want an extra table service meal or an extra breakfast or lunch. Still hoping for free dining.

Went onto a dinging plan calculator web site and lets just say we are going to be eating a lot of food. But I guess with two young men we will probably use it.

We always seem to have an issue with using our snack credits. I think it's mostly because we forget that we have them. LOL!! We will have to make sure and do that this time. Otherwise we end up with a ton of the candy from Downtown Disney. I think my son still has some left from September.

Going through and kinda looking at the different restaurant menus. More the sit down menus. Mostly because we have one picky eater in my son. Jordan will eat anything. LOL!!

The hardest thing will be getting Jordan up early. He's not a morning person. Even Chris knows that we get up early when we were at Disney.

We are going to be driving down. I'm not renting a car. Taking my car. The only bad thing is that it's very light on trunk space.

Can't wait until we can do our ADR's and Fastpasses....

I feel your pain! My husband and I just did this very same thing today and looked at over 30 Disney menus! We have it narrowed down to 14. We still need to narrow it down even further... ugh. Oh well, I guess it helps to feed our Disney obsession while we wait for our vacation to get here, right?

I've never done the Deluxe Dining Plan, but I bet that you guys will have a fabulous time choosing all of your ADRs!

I feel your pain! My husband and I just did this very same thing today and looked at over 30 Disney menus! We have it narrowed down to 14. We still need to narrow it down even further... ugh. Oh well, I guess it helps to feed our Disney obsession while we wait for our vacation to get here, right?

I've never done the Deluxe Dining Plan, but I bet that you guys will have a fabulous time choosing all of your ADRs!

LOL!! My head is spinning and I just had to stop for awhile. LOL!!

I'm probably going to be the only one caring about where we eat. A lot of times we make ADRs for the restaurants we really want to eat at, we usually wait until we are in the parks since we are going at a less busy time. We book our must do's and then when we get there we find something when we are hungry. Some people think it's nuts, but we know how we like to eat.

LOL!! My head is spinning and I just had to stop for awhile. LOL!!

I'm probably going to be the only one caring about where we eat. A lot of times we make ADRs for the restaurants we really want to eat at, we usually wait until we are in the parks since we are going at a less busy time. We book our must do's and then when we get there we find something when we are hungry. Some people think it's nuts, but we know how we like to eat.

Yep... I feel like I'm the only one who cares where we eat too! lol

Yep... I feel like I'm the only one who cares where we eat too! lol
Yeah. There are a few must do's for my son. One is the Garden Grill. He also wants to do Tusker House for breakfast. Those two have some of the best character interactions at restaurants. Plus, we've been to Garden Grill at least once on every trip since my son was 3. He loves it!!

Okay so for those of you that don't know me, I love saving money. I look for the best deals wherever I can find them. So, I'm buying Disney gift cards to pay for our trip. I get them from Target and use their red card. I save 5 percent. So, for the 500 I bought, I only paid 475. Not bad at all!!

I'm going to go through and look at our trip and figure out where we want to eat.

Okay so for those of you that don't know me, I love saving money. I look for the best deals wherever I can find them. So, I'm buying Disney gift cards to pay for our trip. I get them from Target and use their red card. I save 5 percent. So, for the 500 I bought, I only paid 475. Not bad at all!!

I'm going to go through and look at our trip and figure out where we want to eat.

Thats a great idea! I love to save money too... I should buy some at Target with my Red Card.

Do you have a preliminary list for ADRs yet?

Thats a great idea! I love to save money too... I should buy some at Target with my Red Card.

Do you have a preliminary list for ADRs yet?

I love my red card debit card. It's so nice...

Here's some of the places we want to eat at.

Hoop Dee Doo-This will be a first for us. We've never eaten there, but have always wanted to.
Garden Grill- A must do every trip. Ever since my son was 3 we've eaten here every trip. This is one of my favorite pictures from when he was little:

Mickey&Chris.jpg

Teppan Edo- We've only done it once, but we love it.
Tusker House-We love their breakfast. The juice is amazing. And the characters always make us smile
Crystal Palace- What can I say? I love Eeyore and the Pooh characters are amazing.
Le Cellier- We've eaten there once and loved it! Perfectly cooked steaks and their cheese soup....Yummy!!

Those are the basics right now. I need to come up with more. LOL!!

So, we've had the first ripple in our trip planning. Our park style has always been commando. Ever since Chris was 3 we would go to the parks early and stay late. Of course when he was little we would find someplace to sit and he would sleep for a bit in his stroller. We've always done it that way. At home, he's not an earlier riser. He will stay up late, but I don't dare wake him before 10 a.m. LOL!!

So, I was talking to Jordan about it and he say, "I don't get up early."

Before I could say anything, Chris looked at him and said, "At Disney we do. It's not an option. Because mom will leave you if you don't."

I had to laugh at that. Because it's mostly true. I told him that sleeping late is for when we aren't on vacation. :rotfl2:

I've been going to Target and buying my Disney Gift Cards. So far, I've saved $75. I know it's not thousands of dollars, but it is something.

One goal I have for this trip is to get my custom made mouse ears signed by Goofy and Eeyore. I meant to do it on the last trip, but I forgot to bring them on the days that we were meeting them. So, it's goal number one for this trip.

Well crap. I was hoping to have conch when I go to Disney in September. I was reading online that it's not a good idea since I'm allergic to lobster, crab, shrimp and mussels.I can eat clams and oysters so I probably could, but Chris would kill me if I ended up in the ER during our trip.

He already gave me "the lecture" about wanting to eat cheesesticks at T-Rex. I told him I could just chance it.... The lecture I got =not worth it. LOL!!

So, we've had the first ripple in our trip planning. Our park style has always been commando. Ever since Chris was 3 we would go to the parks early and stay late. Of course when he was little we would find someplace to sit and he would sleep for a bit in his stroller. We've always done it that way. At home, he's not an earlier riser. He will stay up late, but I don't dare wake him before 10 a.m. LOL!!

So, I was talking to Jordan about it and he say, "I don't get up early."

Before I could say anything, Chris looked at him and said, "At Disney we do. It's not an option. Because mom will leave you if you don't."

I had to laugh at that. Because it's mostly true. I told him that sleeping late is for when we aren't on vacation. :rotfl2:

I've been going to Target and buying my Disney Gift Cards. So far, I've saved $75. I know it's not thousands of dollars, but it is something.
This made me laugh outloud, because my kids would probably say the same thing about me LEAVING THEM hahaaaa :rotfl2:

And WAY TO GO on the saving $75!!:cool1:

Okay, so I'm thinking about something and I need some help. I had originally booked us to stay at Pop Century. I had booked us for a Preferred Pool View Room. Well, I was checking out Port Orleans. French Quarter and Riverside are the same price. It would only be about $775 more for the same period to stay there. I love either of those resorts. They are my absolute favorite. We have stayed at both.

Chris is paying for the trip, but I'm really, really considering paying the extra and upgrading us to POFQ.....

So, we decided to stay where we are. I'm hoping for free dining and have been told that Riverside is not usually included in the free dining offer. Even if there isn't any free dining this year, I'm still going to be positive. It's an extra $775 that I can use on something else for the trip. Haven't really been doing much in the way of planning for the trip. I've been in a weird funk all week. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I'm excited about going to Disney, but my son isn't into planning nearly as much as I am. He honestly could care less and told me as much this past week.

It depresses me a little bit. I think that the planning is half of the fun. So, when he tells me that he could care less, well it depresses me.

I try not to let on, but I think he knows. He's pretty good at reading my emotions. Sorry. I don't mean to be a let down.

One good thing is that I've managed to pay off most of the trip. Now I just have to decide on the places to eat. I hate that it's always up to me. Chris is so indecisive about where or what to eat. He's only named 3 places that he wants to eat at. Jordan hasn't been in such a long time and has no idea what foodie goodness awaits him there. So, he no help really. I've been watching videos hoping to spark some interest in him. So far all I've gotten is, Why are you watching so many things about food?

Sighs...Hopefully he will get more excited as it gets closer...If past trips are an indication I'm not going to hold my breath. LOL!!

So, we decided to stay where we are. I'm hoping for free dining and have been told that Riverside is not usually included in the free dining offer. Even if there isn't any free dining this year, I'm still going to be positive. It's an extra $775 that I can use on something else for the trip. Haven't really been doing much in the way of planning for the trip. I've been in a weird funk all week. I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I'm excited about going to Disney, but my son isn't into planning nearly as much as I am. He honestly could care less and told me as much this past week.

It depresses me a little bit. I think that the planning is half of the fun. So, when he tells me that he could care less, well it depresses me.

I try not to let on, but I think he knows. He's pretty good at reading my emotions. Sorry. I don't mean to be a let down.

One good thing is that I've managed to pay off most of the trip. Now I just have to decide on the places to eat. I hate that it's always up to me. Chris is so indecisive about where or what to eat. He's only named 3 places that he wants to eat at. Jordan hasn't been in such a long time and has no idea what foodie goodness awaits him there. So, he no help really. I've been watching videos hoping to spark some interest in him. So far all I've gotten is, Why are you watching so many things about food?

Sighs...Hopefully he will get more excited as it gets closer...If past trips are an indication I'm not going to hold my breath. LOL!!

I too love POR and POFQ, but yes if you can save $775.00, thats terrific!! We were able to get FD for this trip to POR but only because that was the Bounceback offered last September. I'm crossing my fingers for you that you'll be able to get FD too this year! I feel like they usually announce it in April ??

I'm sorry that you havn't been felt much like planning. Hopefully this week you will get that Disney 2nd wind and feel better this week. :yay:

I'm not sure what's wrong with me. I'm excited about going to Disney, but my son isn't into planning nearly as much as I am. He honestly could care less and told me as much this past week.

I totally get you. I love the planning aspect of a trip. It is one reason why I like going to Disney because as a planner, you have access to all the details you want to help you plan ahead. And there are lots of Disney CRAZY OBSESSIVE PLANNERS like me here on the DIS!:disrocks: But it does get depressing when you just want to actually TALK to those you will be traveling with and have them respond with some excitement of their own and even some ideas. Part of the fun of planning is just sharing ideas and discussing things you could possibly do. I also like to try to add something to our plans that the ones I am traveling with will really enjoy but it is hard to do so if you do not get any input from them.

Following along! We'll be there around the same time (Sep 8-13 at disney, 14-17 at Universal).

It's so sweet that your son got you a trip for your birthday! But I do understand how hard it is when no one wangs to talk about plans and planning! My boyfriend likes going, but doesn't like planning or usually have an opinion on things that pertain to planning (like restaurants and such). But that's why I go on Disboards so I can talk to others who understand this love of planning :laughing:

Tusker House is delicious! If you can save $775 between those 2 resorts I'd stick with Pop too. We downgraded from a deluxe to a moderate to save $400 or so.

I too love POR and POFQ, but yes if you can save $775.00, thats terrific!! We were able to get FD for this trip to POR but only because that was the Bounceback offered last September. I'm crossing my fingers for you that you'll be able to get FD too this year! I feel like they usually announce it in April ??

I'm sorry that you havn't been felt much like planning. Hopefully this week you will get that Disney 2nd wind and feel better this week. :yay:

I'm glad you're still sticking with me. I'll explain more in another post later about why I think this week has been so hard....

I totally get you. I love the planning aspect of a trip. It is one reason why I like going to Disney because as a planner, you have access to all the details you want to help you plan ahead. And there are lots of Disney CRAZY OBSESSIVE PLANNERS like me here on the DIS!:disrocks: But it does get depressing when you just want to actually TALK to those you will be traveling with and have them respond with some excitement of their own and even some ideas. Part of the fun of planning is just sharing ideas and discussing things you could possibly do. I also like to try to add something to our plans that the ones I am traveling with will really enjoy but it is hard to do so if you do not get any input from them.

That's so true. I know that I'm driving him nuts talking about it. I just get so excited about the planning. LOL!! Whenever he mentions or asks a question I get excited about it. LOL!! That's why I love coming here because I know everyone understands. LOL!!

Following along! We'll be there around the same time (Sep 8-13 at disney, 14-17 at Universal).

It's so sweet that your son got you a trip for your birthday! But I do understand how hard it is when no one wangs to talk about plans and planning! My boyfriend likes going, but doesn't like planning or usually have an opinion on things that pertain to planning (like restaurants and such). But that's why I go on Disboards so I can talk to others who understand this love of planning :laughing:

Tusker House is delicious! If you can save $775 between those 2 resorts I'd stick with Pop too. We downgraded from a deluxe to a moderate to save $400 or so.

Thank you for following along. Sometimes I wonder if anyone is reading this. LOL!! I have a tendency to ramble on and on. LOL!!

We love Tusker House. It's one of a few places that Chris will actually ask to eat at. LOL!!

Yeah, I could have stayed at a moderate, but that's a big chunk of change and it pretty much pays for our Universal trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter