Planning a Family Size Trip (My First PTR)

caylene44

Aspiring Disney Travel Planner
Hello, all! This is my first pre-trip report so please bear with me here. I have been EXHAUSTING my BF and family with “too much” Disney talk (is there even a thing?! :sad2:) so I decided to bring it to the DIS where others can share my excitement.

Just to preface, like all of you, I am obsessed with all things Disney. I live on the west coast so I’ve been to Disneyland a handful of times since I was a small child. The true fire lit inside me when I went to Disney World for the first time in 2008. I’ve been on a quest to become an AP and DVC member ever since (still working on convincing my BF on this, I think he will wear down once he visits WDW for the FIRST time).

14045905_10210544187542322_7921007586149981492_n.jpg
Still the funniest Disney picture I have: My sister and I love RnR, the ladies in front of us not so much...:lmao:

Because of this passion and experience, my family has enlisted me to be their travel planner (oy vey). If you’ve ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding, my family now calls me “Toula.” As much as I hate it, I also LOVE it. I plan trips I’ll never go on just for fun and am seriously considering becoming a Disney vacation planner outside of my full-time job.

giphy.gif

WHEN: 8/29/19-9/5/19—These dates were picked far before the SWGE announcement which has put a little bit of a damper on my spirit but we will survive!

WHO: Our party ranges from 5-13 adults on any given day of the trip. Me (27), my BF (27), my sister (turning 21), my mom (55), my dad (61), my cousin (28), her BF (28), my other cousin (who is sisters to the other and is turning 30), her BF (37), my uncle (54), my aunt (52), my cousin’s friend (29), and her BF (28).

The fact that some people want to opt out of certain days has given me such a headache. My aunt and uncle only want to do 2 park days. My cousin’s friend and friend’s BF are only coming on 2 park days (different than the ones my aunt and uncle are attending). I have to remember who wants to come to which day, etc. Made the ADRs a little tricky but they are thankfully all solidified now.

WHERE: Caribbean Beach! I have stayed at Port Orleans-Riverside and Coronado Springs in the past so I’m excited to try a different moderate. Thankfully, my family is all staying in the same resort (my cousin’s friend and her BF are staying off-property). However, I did give people the option to “opt out” for cheaper accommodations but they decided to take my advice to stay on-property (the pressure to deliver is REAL). My parents and sister have a preferred room as do my BF and I. Everyone else is staying in a pool-view room, which will be interesting considering what I’ve read on the DIS about the walking distance at this resort.

WHAT/WHY: Disney, of course! To get into a long-winded explanation, my cousin is turning 30 this August and started talking nearly 2 years ago about wanting to go to Universal for WWOHP. As soon as anyone breathes a word concerning Orlando, little alarm bells go off in my head. I promptly invited myself on the trip, which then morphed into an extended family vacation. My sister turns 21 on September 3 so we decided to make it a joint trip so she can have her heart’s desire of drinking around the world at EPCOT (she celebrated her 17th birthday at WDW so she is THRILLED to be back. I have a spring break birthday and have never celebrated it at Disney *cue my pity party*).

TENTATIVE PLANNING/ADRs (UPDATE HERE):
  • August 29: Travel day! We all fly from Seattle so we won’t get to our hotel until 7 pm or so. Planning on eating a quick bite at the hotel and getting some rest.
  • August 30: Universal day—since this started as my cousin’s birthday trip and her only wish was to see WWOHP, we are dedicating an entire day to Universal.
  • August 31: Water park and HS—This one scares me being a Saturday and 2 days after SWGE opens. However, we have an ADR for Sci-Fi Dine In for 11 so we are going to risk it.
  • September 1: Water park and AK—Lunch ADR for Yak & Yeti for 9 of us. Y&Y is a MUST for my parents, sister, and I so we are excited.
  • September 2: Water park and MNSSHP—This is my first time doing MNSSHP and I CANNOT wait. Still trying to decide a couples costume for the BF and I…(suggestions welcome!)
  • September 3: Water park and EPCOT—Since this is my sister’s ACTUAL 21st birthday, we are drinking around the world! ADR at Teppan Edo for dinner (her request)
  • September 4: MK—This day is just my parents, sister, BF, and me. We are starting out with Kona Café for breakfast (dad’s request), doing BOG for lunch, and then meeting up with everyone else for dinner at Cali Grill.
  • September 5: Check-out day :worried: Going to Disney Springs to get all our shopping done and have lunch at The Boathouse. We fly out this night.
OTHER COMMENTARY FROM ME:
  • It is stressful wrangling so many people. However, I am trying to go with the flow and give people as much info as possible. At the end of the day, they are going to do what they are going to do and I’m not going to let it ruin my trip. Considering that we are paying thousands to go and this is my BF’s FIRST time at WDW, I want to do the things I want to do on this trip. For example, my mom suggested we hang at the hotel with everyone on September 4. I promptly said NO, we only get so many days at Disney, I’m making the most of them.
  • It’s even more stressful when people who are unfamiliar with WDW planning ask questions/make suggestions. My uncle wants to rent a car, I had to point out that a) we do not need a car and b) we would have to pay to park it everywhere. About a month after I made ADRs, my cousin asks if we can go to BOG. She said “even if we don’t eat there, can we go see it?” Um, excuse me. 1) We needed to make that reservation a month ago for NINE people. 2) No, you can’t just go in without a reservation :scared:
  • Slightly nervous about what to do with FP+. Not sure if I should make them for the party or let everyone decide for themselves. Thoughts? I have slight PTSD from waking up at 3 am to make ADRs for all of us.
I will hopefully keep this post updated as things come up and I plan on a trip report when we return. Just somewhere to vent and get excited for things to come! I would love to hear any suggestions for traveling with a "big group" or being the designated travel planner for your family.

Last edited:
Following! This sounds so much like my family vacations (and how I feel as I'm the "Designated Disney Planner")! So exciting!

Following! This sounds so much like my family vacations (and how I feel as I'm the "Designated Disney Planner")! So exciting!

I feel like every family needs a designated planner to help keep things in line! I'm looking at it as a badge of honor :D

Just slightly nerve wracking because everyone is giving me full control and trusting my judgement. A LOT of pressure to make this trip as magical as I talk it up to be (the only people who have been to WDW previously are my parents, sister, and I so 9/13 in our group are coming to WDW for the FIRST time).

The Type A+ To-Do List (UPDATE HERE):

Hotel Reservation: DONE
MDE Reservation: DONE
Add DDP: DONE
MNSSHP Tickets: DONE
ADRs: DONE
Park Tickets: Need to determine ticket types and quantities for our entire party; Planning on ordering from our local base May 27th
FP+: Window opens June 30th
MagicBands: Expected in August
Birthday Cake Orders: Sometime in August
Finalize Itinerary/Print: End of August
Memory Maker: Need to do
Arrangements for our puppy: Need to do
MNSSHP Costumes: Need to do (need ideas!)
Dining reservation for our day at Universal Orlando: Need to do (need ideas!)

Last edited:

Following along! I know the hassle of planning for so many people. A few years ago I planned a trip with 10 people, split between three families. No matter how I tried to prepare the others, when at WDW there ended up being lots of moments of tension when people didn't understand the way things work. So, it was tough! You sound much more prepared than I was, so things should go better for you! Haha!

Following along! I know the hassle of planning for so many people. A few years ago I planned a trip with 10 people, split between three families. No matter how I tried to prepare the others, when at WDW there ended up being lots of moments of tension when people didn't understand the way things work. So, it was tough! You sound much more prepared than I was, so things should go better for you! Haha!

Glad someone else feels my pain! I'm curious to hear if you have any recommendations on working with a bigger group?? I've Googled/searched the DIS but always good to hear more advice!

I tend to be VERY type A (it's actually called A+) so I'm pretty relentless in trying to get things as planned as possible. It's hard because it seems like 8+ people are considered a "larger group" at Disney. Our original group count was somewhere around 30 people, it was enough to give me nightmares :eek: Thankfully, the group got cut down due to schedule/budget constraints.

Something I am currently debating: Whether to add water parks or not.

We have done water parks on every other trip and, personally, it's one of the things we love most about WDW. However:
1. This is a shorter trip than we are used to.
2. The others in our party will probably opt out of adding water parks due to the cost.
3. I just realized F&W will most likely be at this time and that's something I really want to take advantage of.
4. The pool at CBR looks pretty awesome and might be worth skipping the WPs for.

Anyone have any opinions? I know the WPs don't usually get much love but it is something my family looks forward to.

Something I am currently debating: Whether to add water parks or not.

We have done water parks on every other trip and, personally, it's one of the things we love most about WDW. However:
1. This is a shorter trip than we are used to.
2. The others in our party will probably opt out of adding water parks due to the cost.
3. I just realized F&W will most likely be at this time and that's something I really want to take advantage of.
4. The pool at CBR looks pretty awesome and might be worth skipping the WPs for.

Anyone have any opinions? I know the WPs don't usually get much love but it is something my family looks forward to.
Looking at your plan it seems like a LARGE amount of your time was devoted to waterparks, and less than a full day at every park except MK. Wouldn't your first timers rather experience something that's special to Disney World vs waterparks which seem to be more readily available most places throughout the country. Plus...the cost is a lot more to add on to Park Hoppers.

Looking at your plan it seems like a LARGE amount of your time was devoted to waterparks, and less than a full day at every park except MK. Wouldn't your first timers rather experience something that's special to Disney World vs waterparks which seem to be more readily available most places throughout the country. Plus...the cost is a lot more to add on to Park Hoppers.

Very good points! We live in WA so we don't have any good water parks near us, which might be why we are so enchanted with Disney WPs. But I think since this is a first time trip for many and a lot of them are budget conscious, I'm going to nix the WPs from our plans. The pool at CBR looks nice enough to get our fill of water activities while we are there. I can always go to the WPs on my next trip ;)

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
  • August 29: Travel day!
  • August 30: Universal day
  • August 31: HSSci-Fi Dine In ADR for 11
  • September 1: AK—Yak & Yeti Lunch ADR for 9
  • September 2: MNSSHP
  • September 3: EPCOT—Teppan Edo ADR for 11
  • September 4: MKKona Café breakfast ADR for 5,BOG lunch ADR for 5, Cali Grill dinner ADR for 11
  • September 5: Check-out day :worried: The Boathouse lunch ADR for 11

Last edited:
Just for my own notes/of interest to anyone else planning a trip for a "large group":

We had 3 ADRs that were split between two reservations because of our group size. I've seen a lot of people here on the DIS have success getting seated together when you arrive at the restaurant and explain the situation. However, being type A+, I called the dining reservation line yesterday to see if there was anything they could do in the meantime. The lady was very firm that they will not seat two separate reservations together and recommended calling the restaurants directly. I know the phone CMs can be incorrect often but it was enough to chastise me. Made calls directly to the restaurants and was thankfully able to make one reservation for our entire party at the same times we had before for two of them. I am still waiting for a call back to Cali Grill. Worst case scenario is our party splits up which won't be a huge deal.

The restaurants I had troubles booking for parties over 8 were:
Yak & Yeti
Cali Grill
The Boathouse

I know there's a comprehensive list somewhere on the DIS. There's also one here that lists max party size by restaurant: https://wdwprepschool.com/booking-large-groups-for-dining-at-disney-world/.

Another update (4/8):

So my BF expressed that he would like to do one dinner just the two of us. This is his first time going to WDW, which obviously makes this our first time going together. I was STRESSED looking over our plans trying to figure out where we would have time to have a reservation just us that would fit the bill of somewhere nice (his request). I realized that since I was not able to get one reservation for our entire party for Cali Grill, I decided to change the rest of my family's plans to The Wave and we are eating at Cali Grill just the two of us. No one in my family has stayed apprised of the plans so they won't know that I changed their plans and I figure that we will be at the same hotel at least...

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
  • August 31: HSSci-Fi Dine In ADR for 11
  • September 1: AK—Yak & Yeti Lunch ADR for 9
  • September 2: MNSSHP
  • September 3: EPCOT—Teppan Edo ADR for 11
  • September 4: MKKona Café breakfast ADR for 5,BOG lunch ADR for 5, Cali Grill dinner ADR for 2/The Wave dinner ADR for 9
  • September 5: Check-out day :worried: The Boathouse lunch ADR for 11

I have also officially decided that everyone is on their own to book FP+ reservations. There are too many people to keep track of with all different interests (i.e. one of my cousins cannot ride anything without getting motion sickness so she won't be riding anything, etc.).

Wow!!! I can't even imagine planning a trip with that many people. I am sure it can be real frustrating when vacationing styles don't mesh. Good idea to spend some along time with your BF. It will be nice to get away just the two of you for a night. My family is also staying at CBR this year at the end of July. The resort sure looks pretty and that pool looks amazing. Can't wait to read more.

Last edited:
Wow!!! I can't even imagine planning a trip with that many people. I am sure it can be real frustrating when vacationing styles don't mesh. Good idea to spend some along time with your BF. It will be nice to get away just the two of you for a night. My family is also staying at CBR this year at the beginning of May. The resort sure looks pretty and that pool looks amazing. Can't wait to read more.

Yeah, our group snowballed from a few people to a good sized party. I have seen a couple posts about groups of 20+ people and I cannot even fathom that :eek: On one hand, it's exciting to get to share WDW with my family but it's also stressful as the sole person that everyone's fun is resting on :laughing:

Aw, awesome! Part of the reason we decided against water park was because CBR pool looks amazing. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after you get back, enjoy your trip! :)

What's a WDW trip if you don't change your plans 100 million times?!?!?

UPDATED SCHEDULE:

• I recently realized that we needed to schedule in time to activate our military tickets as a group. Planning on hitting Disney Springs after hotel check-in to do this and eat dinner.
  • August 31: HSHollywood & Vine early dinner for 11
    • I guess I never noticed that Sci Fi doesn't have tables conducive for talking to one another. I realized this yesterday and had a little freak out. The only other reservation for a party this large was an early dinner at Hollywood & Vine. I'm almost thinking this is preferable for a group so large/with diverse tastes. Plus, we get to see the Fab 5 in their Halloween costumes and I think that's awesome :D
  • September 1: AK—Yak & Yeti early dinner for 9
  • September 2: MNSSHP—Kona Café breakfast for 5
    • Moved Kona Cafe to this day so we can do breakfast without feeling rushed. The Halloween party isn't until that night so we will be hanging out and relaxing during the day.
  • September 3: EPCOT—Teppan Edo dinner for 11
  • September 4: MKBOG lunch for 5, Cali Grill dinner for 2/The Wave dinner for 9
  • September 5: Check-out day :worried: The Boathouse lunch for 11

Also, on the Etsy hunt for matching shirts for my cousin's Universal bday (HP) and my sister's EPCOT bday (drinking around the world).

Found these cute passports so far: https://www.etsy.com/listing/571420...e-world-epcot-passport?ref=user_profile&bes=1

Okay. So let's talk about EEMHs and how my planning is getting flipped around AGAIN...

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
  • August 29: Travel day! Planning on QS dinner at DS/activating military tickets.
  • August 31: AKYak & Yeti early dinner for 11
  • September 1: HS— Currently have a Hollywood & Vine early dinner for 9 but debating whether to cancel it...On one hand, it might help us get back in the park after a nap if (when?) HS reaches capacity. On the other, almost don't want to return to HS and fight the crowds... Will probably sit on this for a while/monitor the boards for other's opinions.

If you ever want to torture yourself, just obsessively plan a WDW trip... :scared: Bonus points if you keep posting on a thread that no one reads :lmao:

I think I might be the queen of second guessing every choice I make. Updates are in red below since I'm weirdly in stress mode today.

UPDATED SCHEDULE (as of 5/15/19):
  • August 29: Travel day! Planning on QS dinner at DS/activating military tickets & purchasing memory maker with military discount.
  • September 1: DHS— This is the one I'm having all kinds of problems with. Right now, I have both a Hollywood & Vine early dinner for 9 and a La Hacienda regular dinner time for 9 booked. Debating which to cancel...On one hand, the H&V reservation might help us get back in the park after a nap if (when?!) DHS reaches capacity (we are planning on RD at 6 am so nap is necessary). On the other hand, I almost don't want to return to DHS and fight the inevitable crowds... As always, would appreciate opinions but I suppose I do have a long time to think about this.... I'm just really weird and go over my plans about 5x per day.

The Type A+ To-Do List (as of 5/15/19):

Park Tickets: STILL waiting on my family to get back to me with which tickets they want/pay upfront so we can go order them on the 27th....
MagicBands: Expected in August; Considering the new $10 upgrade that was supposed to start today but no sign of that yet...
Memory Maker: Will be purchased arrival day!
MNSSHP Costumes: Need to do (need ideas!); Leaning towards Cinderella and Prince Charming because Cinderella is one of my faves. Only problem is my BF is blonde and I have hair dyed blonde and there are no freaking both blonde prince/princess couples...
Dining reservation for our day at Universal Orlando: Need to do (need ideas!) My cousin is dragging her feet about researching this and it's for her birthday! I might just step in and choose a place for us. I've heard good reviews about Mythos....opinions/ideas appreciated here as well.

In addition to all of the above running through my head, I also reached out to a TA regarding switching hotels :eek: I would LOVE to do a deluxe but I'm not sure if the numbers will work out (everyone is price averse as it is so asking for another $500 is probably out of the question). Also contemplating renting DVC points now that we have a group locked down but I'm sure it's too late for that (right?!). Not even sure how many DVC units we would need (at least two as my BF does NOT want to bunk with my family in any way, shape, or form)/no idea how hard it would be to get them at the same resort.

I solemnly swear that this post might actually (finally) be my final plans:

UPDATED SCHEDULE (as of 5/30/19):
  • August 29: Travel day! Disney Springs for dinner and ticket activation/memory maker purchase.
  • August 30: Universal day— Dinner at Lombard's Seafood Grille for 11
  • September 1: DHS/EPCOTLa Hacienda de San Angel dinner for 9
  • September 2: MNSSHP—Kona Café breakfast for 5/breakfast for 6 (2 separate reservations)
  • September 5: Check-out dayThe Boathouse lunch for 11

The Type A+ To-Do List (as of 5/30/19):

Dining reservation for our day at Universal Orlando: DONE
Park Tickets: ORDERED
MagicBands: Expected in August
MNSSHP Costumes: Need to do (need ideas!)

Joining in, albeit a bit late. I quoted a few things, but then you kept changing your plans and my comments were out of date. :P

I can only imagine the frustration you have with planning for so many people with varying interests. I think your right to have the plan that you're going to do what you want to do and those who want to opt out can figure something else out for themselves.

What are the chances that you would happen to book your trip for SWGE opening? That's crazy. Have you thought about how you're going to handle the early opens at AK, MK, and HS? I saw that you're thinking you want to be there at 6am for HS, do you think you'll do 7 at MK and AK? Given how how that time of year is, it might be nice to tour during the early, cool(ish) hours, then swim/nap before going back in the evening.

Not even sure how many DVC units we would need (at least two as my BF does NOT want to bunk with my family in any way, shape, or form)/no idea how hard it would be to get them at the same resort.

https://tools.dvcvacations.com/points-calculator
This is a good tool for looking at availability and seeing room capacity. This close, you'd need to book some combination of 1- and 2-bedrooms at OKW or SSR. Search your dates and you can see the room types available for all days in green. When you click on them, you can see how many people fit in each room type. Then, you need to find someone with enough points available to rent. That may be the harder point this close to your trip, but you can try the boards here in addition to Davids.

I saw you're getting tickets on base, so perhaps it's different for military travelers. For normal memory maker, it's cheaper if you buy it at least 3 days before your trip.

One other thought, what's your price difference to hop versus just doing one park per day tickets with the military salute? You've only got one day hopping, so that cost may be prohibitive to just have a few hours at Epcot versus staying at DHS. If dining is your concern, people speak highly of the Hollywood Brown Derby lounge menu and the updated Backlot Express menu has a few hidden gems (the cuban and the chicken with biscuits were both quite tasty). Or, you could look at a reservation on Crescent Lake, which is walkable from DHS without requiring additional park entry.

Joining in, albeit a bit late. I quoted a few things, but then you kept changing your plans and my comments were out of date. :P

I can only imagine the frustration you have with planning for so many people with varying interests. I think your right to have the plan that you're going to do what you want to do and those who want to opt out can figure something else out for themselves.

What are the chances that you would happen to book your trip for SWGE opening? That's crazy. Have you thought about how you're going to handle the early opens at AK, MK, and HS? I saw that you're thinking you want to be there at 6am for HS, do you think you'll do 7 at MK and AK? Given how how that time of year is, it might be nice to tour during the early, cool(ish) hours, then swim/nap before going back in the evening.

https://tools.************.com/points-calculator
This is a good tool for looking at availability and seeing room capacity. This close, you'd need to book some combination of 1- and 2-bedrooms at OKW or SSR. Search your dates and you can see the room types available for all days in green. When you click on them, you can see how many people fit in each room type. Then, you need to find someone with enough points available to rent. That may be the harder point this close to your trip, but you can try the boards here in addition to Davids.

I saw you're getting tickets on base, so perhaps it's different for military travelers. For normal memory maker, it's cheaper if you buy it at least 3 days before your trip.

One other thought, what's your price difference to hop versus just doing one park per day tickets with the military salute? You've only got one day hopping, so that cost may be prohibitive to just have a few hours at Epcot versus staying at DHS. If dining is your concern, people speak highly of the Hollywood Brown Derby lounge menu and the updated Backlot Express menu has a few hidden gems (the cuban and the chicken with biscuits were both quite tasty). Or, you could look at a reservation on Crescent Lake, which is walkable from DHS without requiring additional park entry.

Hi! So funny because I've been lurking along on your TR, your girls are so stinking cute! Their little personalities crack me up, I'm not sure how you plan for tiny people with varying interests.

Also, sorry for all the updates. This is like my stream of consciousness thread as I trip plan, it's giving me a headache so I appreciate everyone bearing with me here.

Yes, SWGE took us all by surprise! We are definitely going to RD almost every day and then come back for naps during the hotter/busier times of day. I don't mind getting up early if I can take a nap in the midday :laughing: It will be interesting to see what my family does because my cousins are NOT morning people and take about 2-3 hours to get ready...They gave me the most shocked looks when I said we're leaving the hotel by 4:30 am to get to DHS for a 6 am opening :confused3 Because of that, they opted to not come to HS and are just doing EPCOT that day (they're really interested in the food& wine festival so they don't mind having 2 EPCOT days).

Thank you! I have once again nixed the DVC idea, saving that for a future trip! Most of my family already thinks this trip is insanely expensive even with the military room discounts my parents got for us and last time I ran the numbers, DVC would be a cost increase (even though I think it's well worth it but oh well).

I actually just learned that a military discount on memory maker even existed. It's only available in person though (via the ticket windows) and you don't have the normal 3-day waiting period that usually applies. Wish I knew about that before because we paid the full advanced purchase price the last time we visited.

My parents, my sister, my BF, and I will have PHs! The extremely discounted military salute tickets come with PHs but you can only get 6 per year, which means that everyone else in our party is getting regular one park per day tickets (and they are actually paying a lot more for them than our PH tickets 😬). I think that's appropriate for their first visit/the limited number of days they are going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter