Planning First Trip to Aulani - May 2016

BWVPam

Loves being at WDW!
Super excited that we are planning our first trip to Hawaii and Aulani for May 15, 2016. There will be 5 in our group (DS- 25, DD 21 and DB - 55, plus me and hubby) Will be celebrating my daughter's college graduation as she graduates the day before. We have done countless trips to Wdw and 4 Disney cruises but this is a first for us.

We have a 2 bedroom Ocean View reserved, have our flights booked, car rental is booked through Costco. Now I am lost. I have no idea on excursions. THink we want to do a luau, so looking at the Paradise Cove, want to do a catamaran excursion and would love to see scenery with waterfalls (live in the desert haha). We are getting in late on Sunday night and thought we would do Pearl Harbor on Monday before going to the resort.

Where should we request our room to be at?

We will only be in Hawaii 6 nights so really only have 5 days to do what we want to do.

I had made reservations for a character breakfast and dinner at AMA AMA. some of the reviews aren't too great and thinking of changing to the dinner buffet. Do the Disney restaurants give any discounts to DVC members?

Sorry for so many questions, but I feel so lost. So used to planning Wdw vacations and now I don't know how to do anything else. (haha)

When renting the cabanas, is there anything included (water, drinks, etc.)

Thanks for any advice.

We have been to Aulani 4 times and are going again on May 20. We always request a one bedroom ocean view in the Ewe building, 9th floor or above. You can still hear the music feom the outdoor music venue on the balcony. And you have a great view of the pool, lazy River and ocean. We have eaten at both restaurants several times. I can't remember if there is a DVC discount. We like the breakfast buffet but that's because our disabled adult daughter and her friend still like the characters.

We always get a car and park it for free but we rarely leave. We do stop at the grocery store in Kapolei on the way from the airport. There is a Safeway and a target. The Safeway is very close to the expressway and easy to get to. We buy breakfast food, lunch and some dinners along with wine and sodas. We have done Pearl Harbor. You do need reservations, which are free online, to ensure you get in. If you have a car there really isn't a reason to pay for an excursion. I'm sure yiu csn find a catamaran tour online. Waimea valley is in the north shore and is easy to get to by car. Good hiking, waterfall, flowers, etc. the bell desk can give you directions.

We have not done a Laua because we done them before but paradise cove is within walking distance.

There are good restaurants across the street from aulani. There's a sushi place, Monkeypod which has live music every night and decent food and a pizza place. There is a taco place too but it's not very good. there is also an abc market which has good take out. And there is a Roy's steak house down tne street which is good.

I would encourage you not to over schedule. This year we are going for 11 nights and probsbly won't leave at all. We just love it! But we can sit by pool all day reading and do the lazy river over and over.

There is a cup yiu can buy buy for soda refills. We still have ours from the first time we were there and use them. We have had attendants say...oh good you have one of the originals....so I never feel bad about using them.

There is a decent fitness center.

I would agree with cedricandspohie that you dont want to over schedule yourselves, the resort is a destination in itself. With five full days, I would probably only do two or threes days off the resort but it also depends on what kind of travelers you are.
want to do a catamaran excursion and would love to see scenery with waterfalls (live in the desert haha)

The easiest way to do scenery/waterfalls would be a drive up to the North Shore to see Waimea Valley
http://www.waimeavalley.net/ it is about an hour north from Aulani and a very easy drive. You can also check out the turtles at Turtle Bay and stop for a Dole Whip at the Dole Plantation on the way back. This would not take all day depending on how long you spend at Waimea Valley.

Groupon has a discounted catamaran sail, not sure if it is any good but here is the link
https://www.groupon.com/deals/maita-i-catamaran-1

Thank you both for your replys. We will only do the three things while we are there, pearl harbor, a catamaran sail and the north shore drive. Was hoping maybe to do the catamaran sail and north shore on same day so all other days could be at the resort. So I am hoping to get a catamaran near the resort so we don't have to drive back to Waikiki. So I am assuming since we have a car we can do the north shore on our own?? Thanks again,

We're going for the first time in May too.
Ocean view studio....just me and DH.
We are for sure going to Pearl Harbor....my father was there. Already booked that.
And want to go to the flea market.....we have dining reservations for 3 meals, other than that, we will play it by ear.
I am not one to just sit for too long.
We will rent a car and go grocery shopping.
I haven't got air yet....it has not moved in the 3 or so months I have been watching it.

We sent DS and DDIL last June for their anniversary, so they have given me some dos and don'ts

We had two nights at Aulani on our first visit to Hawaii last month. We personally loved Ama Ama, we had lovely service, live music in front of us, they were helpful (best of anywhere in Hawaii) with a dietary requirement, took note of our wedding anniversary pins and put dessert on a platter with a little extra and a message. My lobster mac and cheese was the best thing I ate the whole week. I wouldn't consider the food itself overly 'fine dining' but we will definitely go back next time as it was a lovely dinner overall.

We did Waimea Falls which was lovely too.

My personal choice would be to do the North Shore and catamaran on different days so you're not too hurried, and then the remaining time on those days can be spent relaxing at the resort. But then I'm not very good at doing nothing the whole day so quite like having part day activities and then relaxing on each day rather than a couple of jam packed days and a few completely nothing days.

Just wanted to say hi, DH and I will be arriving the day before you on May 14th!!

I hope your trip is amazing! Never been, but plan to take the family there in 2017 or 2019...hard to fit all my Disney 'wishes' in...

We just returned from our 3rd trip to Aulani so we've already had a chance to explore the resort and the island. Like others have mentioned the hike to the waterfall at Waimea valley at North shore is a must. My DS19 enjoyed it and it's a beautiful drive. We've done the Paradise Cove luau next door twice but we decided to do the Chief's Luau at Sea Life Park. It's quite a drive but we really enjoyed it. We also did a catamaran sunset dinner cruise but we departed from Waikiki. We haven't had dinner at the resort but our cocktails and appetizers at Olelo Room were pretty good. Monkeypod and the Pizza Corner across the street are good choices if you don't want to drive too far for dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter