Planning for 2018

So it's been about a month. And what a month. I won't go into detail and bore you all but 2017 has not had the best start. My back is getting better, being hit from behind in the car a fortnight ago didn't help recovery. But that just kinda summed up the time we've been having really.

OH has been saying maybe we should push our trip back a year, but I'm holding fast on 2018. I so need Disney in my nearer than 2019 future. I've been pricing up values etc but by the time we factor in dining and other bits against a free dining plan, costs come so close to my original plan that I'm still focused on going for it and heading to yacht or beach. I've just heard free dining offers might be released in a week or so. Fingers crossed. One way or another I'm getting my family there. :tinker:

Is booking now and then cancelling and rebooking when/if the free dining plan comes up an option? (Hope you feel 100% soon.)

Hi morrik5. I don't think that works too well from over here, but not sure as that's not really something I've looked into. They have not released every resort or room option for 2018 yet over here and the prices are huge. I'm hoping we see them dip when the offer hits. But you never know. If they don't, I may have to be patient for a while longer.

Thanks, I'm getting there, blew a disc just over 2 months ago and it's taking a long time. But since then we've had a real run of bad luck and illnesses in general. We're due a change, that's how I'm looking at it. Things can only get better.

I see you're planning for April. That was our 2015 trip, late April into May. The best time of year. Wish we could go then again, sadly not with our school system now.

Hold fast to your dream! :wizard:
I am sorry to hear that you had a setback with your back issues. You just need to get to Disney and relax!:beach:

I, too, am trying to hold tight to my dream of going to Disney again. I just need that Disney fix and the planning really helps me destress from my job. Isn't that ironic but something only another big Disney fan would understand that planning a trip to WDW is a stress reliever for me! :rotfl2:

The free dining is out but the prices are so big and that's before flights, that we just cannot do it no matter how much I want to. Even I have to be sensible. The prices are so much more for next year than they were when we looked last year for this year. That's so disappointing.

The good news is my back is slowly improving :flower1:.The bad news is my OH has had an accident and made a mess of one big toe. He's on holiday from work so not having to take time off, but we'll see if he can walk on that foot by next week. Good job we never booked for this year, we'd never make it :crutches: at least the toe is still there. Always look on the bright side. What a year it's been so far, but things must be set to improve.

The best price I've found so far with DDP is Saratoga Springs. Anyone got any comments? How much more spread out is it than POR? We found that no problem so if they're about the same that might be an option. We really want somewhere to stay that is within walking distance of something for when the buses become too much. That's why we want beach or yacht so much. It really doesn't look like that's going to happen so the next best thing seems to be a walk to Disney Springs. POR was lovely but getting off resort to eat or just an evening stroll round the Springs was quite an expedition sometimes. We had to anticipate when we were likely to get hungry kids. But we really don't know much about Saratoga except what we've read in some mixed reviews

So I've actually found a price we can live with. But now I'm hesitating and I'm not sure why. The original plan was 16 nights at YC coming home early September. I can get 15 nights coming home 30th August. They have no availability below club level prices on the night of 31st August at the moment. This is all through WDTC. As we've only stayed at POR R and FQ before and really enjoyed them both I think I'm having a bit of a wobble.

I like the greenery at Riverside and the quiet. I love the idea of the Boardwalk area and walking to Epcot but now it's looking more like a reality I'm wondering if we will wish we'd gone back to Riverside. Going round in circles and getting nowhere. OH is happy with whatever I choose but I'm now being very indecisive. Aaagh

Not forgetting of course, being convinced that yes we really can afford to go and save the spending money too.

Last edited:
:yay::yay:party:OK. Well, I've done it. Fifteen nights at the Yacht Club. Never stayed deluxe before. I'm feeling a mixture of joy and excitement with an undercurrent of fear and trepidation about springing a new venue on my lovely kids - and reigning the spending in for the foreseeable.

The kids are being told we're booking them a holiday by the seaside in Cornwall (England) for next year. So we'll see if we can now keep the charade up for 15 months. Also, which grandparent will forget it's a secret first and mention it. We haven't decided yet at which point we'll tell them. We can't spring it on them on the day, that could be a disaster in our family set up as those of you who've been with me since my first post will know. But we've never surprised them before and we would love to if we can.

Can't believe I've done it. :scared1:

I've managed to get my countdown ticker working. I still feel like it's not really happening because I can't talk about it at home. On an exercise regime now to really build my strength up and also lose some weight.

I have a rough plan for our first day already. We're there for 15 nights but we've only got the 14 day park ticket. Which means we aren't planning on going to the parks on our first full day.

So the plan is to have breakfast at Cape May Cafe. We aren't massive eaters at breakfast but after travel day it will be nice to take it easy, eat at the resort and have the bonus of character dining. Then I'm thinking Disney Springs followed by the pool, a little rest before the evening then maybe Beaches and Cream and explore the Boardwalk. Last time we tried to do too much on the first day and DD had a meltdown by midday. So we figured the extra night would help us feel less desperate to hit the parks on the first morning.

Does that sound like it'll work? Or would anyone recommend a different approach?

Last edited:
Ooh. Got my second email this morning saying my booking could now be viewed. There's been a small change since last time. My original booking number doesn't work in the app. So I rang and they very quickly gave me my second number. Something to do with their new system and UK bookings I think. It worked first time. So I'm in. 450 days out but it still gives me a kick to be able to see it all. I've played with the magic bands already. A bit tricky because I'm keeping it quiet. I'm pretty sure we can go with orange for DS as he loves some YouTuber called annoying orange and now says. He wants an orange carpet. Err......no. DD will be a little harder because she can't make decisions at the best of times and always changes her mind. So there is a chance that whatever I pick will be the wrong colour. I've gone with purple for now. I'll have to pose some hypothetical questions. How discrete can I be :rolleyes: husband says not very. But he almost slipped up yesterday. Watching Adam Hattan on YouTube and he said 'well in our hotel ....'. To which I quickly said you mean you hope it'll be our hotel whenever we make it back. :crazy:

So to get my fix I've been helping my friend book her fastpasses. She's going in less than 30 days and hadn't done a thing. She ended up just giving me her MDE log in and asked me to go for it. It's surprisingly difficult to book someone else's passes. There were very few ADRs left that I could make in places I'd suggested to her. I did try to explain that, lol. You all know what I mean. But trying to explain to someone who's never been and doesn't plan anything. I might as well be speaking a foreign language. Still, it gave me that little Disney buzz, even if it wasn't for myself.

Still managed to keep our trip quiet so far

I've managed to get my countdown ticker working. I still feel like it's not really happening because I can't talk about it at home. On an exercise regime now to really build my strength up and also lose some weight.

I have a rough plan for our first day already. We're there for 15 nights but we've only got the 14 day park ticket. Which means we aren't planning on going to the parks on our first full day.

So the plan is to have breakfast at Cape May Cafe. We aren't massive eaters at breakfast but after travel day it will be nice to take it easy, eat at the resort and have the bonus of character dining. Then I'm thinking Disney Springs followed by the pool, a little rest before the evening then maybe Beaches and Cream and explore the Boardwalk. Last time we tried to do too much on the first day and DD had a meltdown by midday. So we figured the extra night would help us feel less desperate to hit the parks on the first morning.

Does that sound like it'll work? Or would anyone recommend a different approach?

HI! I have been away from the boards awhile. It is fantastic that you are now officially booked!
Woo hoo! Let the party begin! party:

I think your plans for your first day are right on target. You will all be exhausted from your travels and it will give you all a chance to ease into your WDW vacation. It will be a perfect way to start your vacation by checking out the resort, having a character meal and possibly going to Disney Springs if you feel up to it.

Ooh. Got my second email this morning saying my booking could now be viewed. There's been a small change since last time. My original booking number doesn't work in the app. So I rang and they very quickly gave me my second number. Something to do with their new system and UK bookings I think. It worked first time. So I'm in. 450 days out but it still gives me a kick to be able to see it all. I've played with the magic bands already. A bit tricky because I'm keeping it quiet. I'm pretty sure we can go with orange for DS as he loves some YouTuber called annoying orange and now says. He wants an orange carpet. Err......no. DD will be a little harder because she can't make decisions at the best of times and always changes her mind. So there is a chance that whatever I pick will be the wrong colour. I've gone with purple for now. I'll have to pose some hypothetical questions. How discrete can I be :rolleyes: husband says not very. But he almost slipped up yesterday. Watching Adam Hattan on YouTube and he said 'well in our hotel ....'. To which I quickly said you mean you hope it'll be our hotel whenever we make it back. :crazy:

Yes, I expect it will be hard to keep your surprise a secret for so long. But you made a nice recover from your hubby's slip. Good job! I had to respond to this post about trying to anticipate your daughter's choice for color of the magic band. My son has a hard problem making decisions. He agonizes over then and then almost always second guesses his decisions. So he is constantly changing his own mind. But as his mom, I have a good sense of his likes and wants and have a great track record of picking things for him that he likes. My suggestion about the magic band color would be to pick two colors that you think she would be happy with (one originally assigned to her and one to you) and then you can possibly switch the bands with each other once you trip is close. I think the Disney guest service at your hotel can do this for you. Or you can have your daughter pick out and buy a decorative cover for her band when you are in the parks.

Hi @mdsouth how's things with you? Yes we took the plunge and booked it. Now it's all down to me to make sure we can pay for it. As it has been me telling OH all the way along that yes we can!

Still managing to keep it quiet. It's been a bit of a downer at times. DD is being a bit stubborn. Because dad keeps saying we're not going until 2020 she's not joining in with our pleasure in watching the YouTube vlogs and discussing dining preferences etc. I show her something and I get an :rolleyes2. They're so good at eye rolls. She can't understand my enthusiasm and sees no point to it.

I went for a yellow band for her. Then when I was doing our friends MDE for them for a trip next month her friend asked for yellow. So I changed hers to purple as I thought she wouldn't want to look like she was copying. She's just announced tonight that she will probably go for yellow whenever we do go. So back to yellow it is. Maybe I do know what I'm doing after all. Right the first time.

I can't believe that it's actually only just over a year away already. We'll be looking at flights in a few months. Hopefully we can get a decent prices. Just seen that we can get alcoholic or speciality milkshakes etc on the dining plan. Not bothered about the alcohol. I think I had 2 banana cocktails at the pool last time. But I don't find that Disney and alcohol mix for me. But I will be interested in what specialty drinks will qualify for DD. DS only ever drinks water and the occasional hot chocolate but she enjoys a milkshake and it would be nice to be able to get them on the plan. I wonder if the specialty ones at B&C will be included?

It's so hot over here at the moment. We're hitting the mid 80s. Reminds me of 'home'

Yes, it sounds like Momma knows best!
I can understand how it must be disappointing for you to try to watch videos and talk to your kids about what they would like to do, eat, etc. at Disney with little enthusiasm from them now. It must be hard to keep the trip a secret when you have it officially booked. But then I can also see how to your daughter the trip is so far away, it is hard for her to connect to it. It is just hard when you are planning a trip and you are super excited about going, like you are and you want your family to share in the anticipation and excitement leading up to a trip.

I, agree with you, the idea of alcohol included on a dining plan is not a huge factor. When I read this, my first thought was that this means that the actual cost of the dining plan is going to go up to cover it and since I might have a few but not enough to match the additional cost to the plan. I just checked and the alcohol and specialty drinks are included in the plan for US guests too. But it comes at a huge increase. It adds 500 dollars to the cost of the plan. And the plan gives you one alcohol or specialty drink per quick service and one per ts. So, that would be six drinks a day for my party of three for five nights or a total of 30 drinks. I could buy 111 specialty drinks on my own for the same price. I used prices at Be Our Guest on allearsnet.com to get an idea. So, the inclusion of the alcohol/specialty drinks is a big money maker for Disney. Well, I guess this makes my decision whether or not to buy the dining plan easier. It is a big NO.

Last edited:
Yes, they have pushed up the price of the dining plan and added the drinks option at the same time. Yet regardless of the drinks they would have increased the price anyway. This way they are softening, or masking, the blow. That's a bit cynical of me isn't it, lol.

We don't get discount room rates over here, so for us the free dining package is what we wait for to book. If I was paying for meals, I think the plan would now be more than we would likely spend. So we're unlikely to ever add it to a package I think, should we ever book when the offer isn't on. My hubby doesn't drink alcohol, or specialty drinks, my youngest only has water and though DD likes the odd milkshake she'll still go for Diet Coke or Sprite most of the time while she's there no doubt. They won't find themselves giving that many alcoholic drinks away.

Will wait to see what specialty drinks are included/excluded. I assume it won't include the ones in the souvenir glasses.

Have you moved any nearer to a date yet? I hear that US room rates for 2018 are out.

Last edited:
Hello Across the Pond and mdsouth! Just found your report Across the Pond and thought I would join in! So glad you have booked and things are underway for you! I updated my report yesterday with life news but I don't have any new Disney news.

Where do you get the jumping characters? I would love to add some to my signature!

mdsouth do you have a trip report anywhere?

Keep sharing the plans!

Last edited:
:welcome: @tiredsportsmom. I see you have less than a year to go. I'll look for your post later. Where are you staying?

The moving characters are when you click on the smilies. Tab through to Disney and you get the jumping ones. The smilies icon is above me now as I type. Along the tool bar line.

So...I've been making a list of table service restaurants I'd like to book for us. Even though I'm miles out. This is what I have so far

Beaches and Cream
Cape May Cafe for character breakfast
Rose and Crown
Via Napoli
T Rex
Rainforest Cafe
Tusker House
Be Our Guest
Whispering Canyon
O'Hana
Raglan Road
The Boat House
Hoop de doo

I don't mind dropping either T Rex or Rainforest if there is something better, but DS should like of these, so they made the cut for atmosphere.

This doesn't include any of the new places in DS though. I was also wondering about Teppan Edo. DD likes the idea of it, but not the sharing a table with strangers bit. Also, it doesn't include YC itself. But as we're there for 15 nights this seems a pretty comprehensive list. It also seems weird having to plan and book for every day. As this is our first full dining plan that's a new experience for us. It feels a bit too much.

DD has been a little more enthusiastic and has had some input with this. She seems pretty keen on the HDDR which I didn't think she would be. But we've watched bits on YouTube and she likes what she's seen. Hubby says if we plan it for a Saturday night he'll go to check out the football (soccer) scores instead at ESPN as he's definitely not into the audience participation thing.

So...I've been making a list of table service restaurants I'd like to book for us. Even though I'm miles out. This is what I have so far

Beaches and Cream
Cape May Cafe for character breakfast
Rose and Crown
Via Napoli
T Rex
Rainforest Cafe
Tusker House
Be Our Guest
Whispering Canyon
O'Hana
Raglan Road
The Boat House
Hoop de doo

I don't mind dropping either T Rex or Rainforest if there is something better, but DS should like of these, so they made the cut for atmosphere.

This doesn't include any of the new places in DS though. I was also wondering about Teppan Edo. DD likes the idea of it, but not the sharing a table with strangers bit. Also, it doesn't include YC itself. But as we're there for 15 nights this seems a pretty comprehensive list. It also seems weird having to plan and book for every day. As this is our first full dining plan that's a new experience for us. It feels a bit too much.

DD has been a little more enthusiastic and has had some input with this. She seems pretty keen on the HDDR which I didn't think she would be. But we've watched bits on YouTube and she likes what she's seen. Hubby says if we plan it for a Saturday night he'll go to check out the football (soccer) scores instead at ESPN as he's definitely not into the audience participation thing.

We have many of the same restaurants on our lists.

Mine so far for our seven day stay

O'Hana
Whispering Canyon
Be Our Guest

Hoop de doo is something that I think my son and my hubby would enjoy but since my hubby will most likely not be on our next trip, I think we will hold off. But I am glad you are planning to go. It sounds like a win-win for you and your family, you and the kids go to Hoop de doo and your hubby will get to have some down time watching his soccer highlights at ESPN. :thumbsup2

Rainforest Cafe is one I think my DD would like but there is one in a big mall near Chicago which is about a three hour drive from home, so I plan for us to just go up someday and go shopping and hit Rainforest there. The plus is that we will get a little taste of Disney when I really need a Disney fix :faint:since the mall also has a Disney store and Lego store. And I can then plan a different at WDW to try out in its place. :banana:

We have so much in common :daisy: I feel like this is such a full list and I don't want the holiday to be all about the food. But having the full dining plan for the first time means a lot more planning. There are so many places in DS that are QS too that we'd like to try but I don't know how many trips there we will actually fit in.

I don't know if we have a Rainforest Cafe over here, but certainly not in our area, so I don't think so. Added to this, DD would like us to factor in a trip to Mall at Millenia for the Cheesecake Factory. She's a huge Big Bang Theory fan and would love to go there. Not to mention the shops of course. But I don't think I've allocated any time for that in my first plan :scared:.

What I've tried to focus on is dining experiences that will be a new and enjoyable experience. A secondary reason on top of but as important as the food. Things we would never pay to do if it was coming out of our pocket at the time. I can't believe our countdown is already approaching 12 months. It felt like two years but by the time I booked time was already flying by. And that means less time to save. The kids are doing a fantastic job with their savings. They save the majority of their pocket money for that far off day when they get to go back to Disney. Even though they don't know when that will be. Which is great because they will have a nice amount to spend each.

They are on school hols now until September. DS starts a new dyslexia programme today, twice a week. Fingers crossed he'll see the benefits himself so that he can feel proud. It's sad to see that his self confidence is still so low, even though we've been working hard to support him for a couple of years. This new programme is computer based and will teach him touch typing. So I'm hoping it will appeal to his tech side. I'm also trying to find someone who knows how to teach autistic and dyspraxic people how to swim. As they have both struggled in regular lessons. Not having much luck with that one though.

They are on school hols now until September. DS starts a new dyslexia programme today, twice a week. Fingers crossed he'll see the benefits himself so that he can feel proud. It's sad to see that his self confidence is still so low, even though we've been working hard to support him for a couple of years. This new programme is computer based and will teach him touch typing. So I'm hoping it will appeal to his tech side. I'm also trying to find someone who knows how to teach autistic and dyspraxic people how to swim. As they have both struggled in regular lessons. Not having much luck with that one though.

Hopefully, the new computer programme will engage your son. I know as a teacher, sometimes all it takes is the different approach to help kids. I am hoping this the technology aspect will really connect with your son and he will see the results himself. That is the biggest motivator of all when a child really sees and understands how his or her efforts are really helping him or her. I just wish we could somehow bottle up that feeling and give it to kids when they need it.

And I understand the swimming lesson issue too. My son has not been comfortable in the water his entire life. I took him to many swim lessons and even participated in some with him myself but he just was too anxious to learn to swim. So, I hope you can find someone to help him. If you are part of any autism parent group (online or in person) perhaps someone can recommend someone to help you that is in your area. My son now is much more comfortable in the water as long as he can touch the bottom and still have his head above water. So, over the years like with many of his sensory issues with exposure to it, he has become more accustomed to the water and is comfortable. He now enjoys riding in a lazy river and just bobbing around in the water. :thumbsup2

Added to this, DD would like us to factor in a trip to Mall at Millenia for the Cheesecake Factory. She's a huge Big Bang Theory fan and would love to go there. Not to mention the shops of course. But I don't think I've allocated any time for that in my first plan :scared:.

Again, our girls have similar tastes. My family enjoys watching Big Band Theory and my daughter now likes cheesecake and would love to go to the Cheesecake Factory too. I think there is probably one in the Chicago area so I guess I will just have to surprise her some day. It is too bad that the closest one to you is the one in Florida. I know that I feel like you must do, you want to do something that think your daughter would enjoy but also really do not want to waste any of your Disney time to go WAY, WAY out of the way to just eat at some restaurant that might end up being just so-so. And I expect the actual restaurant you go to will probably look a lot different than the one shown on the show.

I wonder how much it would cost to have a cheesecake from the restaurant delivered to your home? So much is sent all around the world now days that it might not be as much as you would expect. :surfweb:But then of course the money for it would come out of your Disney dollars. But maybe for a birthday treat or something it might be a good option.

I just went to the Cheesecake Factory website and clicked a link that said send a cake. It goes to this link. https://www.harryanddavid.com/h/bak...um=partnerships&utm_source=cheesecake_factory

I did not check it out further though to see where it ships. There is a chat feature where you can ask a question. So that might help. The cheesecakes are pretty expensive on their own but boy do they look delicious and lots of varieties to choose from!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!