Planning Our First Cruise: a Very Merry PTR!

DisneyPiPhi

DIS Veteran
Hello, everyone!

I'm so excited to be starting a PTR for our family's very first cruise! I'm hoping to cover a lot of planning details that I hope will help another first-time cruiser.

Cruise Details
We will be sailing on the Disney Wonder out of Galveston on December 15, 2017. This is a 7-night Bahamas itinerary, with three sea days and stops at Nassau, Castaway Cay, and Key West. Additionally, this cruise is a Very MerryTime sailing, so we are looking forward to participating in some fun Christmas activities on board to get into the holiday spirit!

Table of Contents (links to be added as we progress)
  1. Cast and Crew
  2. How We Chose & Booked Our Cruise
  3. Telling the Kiddo
  4. Planning Flights, Hotel, and Travel Insurance
  5. Online Check-In & Activity Planning
  6. Our Countdown Calendar
  7. Pre-Cruise Sewing and Crafting: the Plans
  8. Pre-Cruise Sewing and Crafting: the Execution
  9. My Cruise Shopping List
  10. My Cruise Packing List

Last edited:
IDo3FVmbiGKrDtWf1
VTvphO8jiShg2Ys82

Last edited:
Cast and Crew

Me:
IMG_4581.JPG
There I am! I'm a 34-year-old mom of one who enjoys baking, sewing, and walking. (I used to run, but I've mostly stopped that. Until I start again.) My day job is as a coach for an educational non-profit, but I moonlight as a travel agent. These jobs go together well as I get to travel a lot for both of them; the photo above was taken at at the original Starbucks a few weeks ago when I was in Seattle visiting a school! I grew up traveling to Disney every other year with my parents and my sister, then spent six years as a young adult living in Florida and being a WDW Annual Passholder. Now that we live back in Michigan, we have taken our daughter twice to Disney World and once to Disneyland. Fun fact: if you consider the Big Red Boat a Disney cruise, then I have been on two previous Disney cruises! :)

DH:

IMG_0241.jpg

DH is a soon-to-be-34-year-old contractor and dad who enjoys running and yoga, hiking, and playing in too many fantasy baseball leagues. He took a few Disney trips with his family growing up, but the first time we went together was my senior year of high school. (This is the dorkiest story ever: our friends were all there for FIRST Robotics nationals, he was with his parents at a math conference, and I had picked Disney as my senior trip, so we all met up one night to eat at Teppan Edo. It was the first time I called 407-WDW-DINE all by myself!) He was also a WDW AP for several years when we lived in Florida! Fun fact: DH has never been on a cruise!

DD:
IMG_4175.JPG
That's our Charlotte! She is five but turning 17 any day now, as you can tell from this picture in which she looks like a very small camp counselor. She enjoys doing art projects, building forts, taking gymnastics and dance lessons, playing on her soccer team, swimming, and the entirety of the Disney Princess franchise. Charlotte is also in kindergarten this year (of which she will be missing two days for this cruise... I think we'll live.) She has made two trips to WDW at ages two and three, and traveled to Disneyland this past February at age four.

How We Chose & Booked Our Cruise

This really began in April of 2016, when we took our second Disney World trip with DD. It was a long trip - a road trip, plus seven nights at Pop with five days in the parks. It was also an intricately detailed trip, as my parents joined us in a connecting room and we all had the DDP. I left that trip feeling a bit of Disney World fatigue; although I love helping others plan their own WDW trip, I felt like my family needed a break from the go-go-go pace of a Disney World trip. I said to my husband on the drive home, "Our next Disney World trip actually needs to be a Disneyland trip!" I felt like we just needed to try a new-to-us Disney destination.

Fast forward to February 2017: we took that trip to Disneyland and absolutely fell in love! We kept it fairly short (five nights + four park days) and didn't overplan (I limited myself to four pre-planned activities: one dining package, two character meals, and a boutique appointment for DD.) We were also able to stay at the Disneyland Hotel and walk everywhere, which was SO nice for us. It was an awesome vacation and we were very eager to go back, especially considering I was sick the whole time and felt like I missed out on some opportunities. We tentatively penciled in another DLR trip in February of 2018, in which we'd add one more night, one more day, and stay at the Grand Californian.

WELL. I can't just let good plans be and I love trying new things, so by summer, I was thinking a lot about trying out Disney Cruise Line. Since I had started my TA job, I'd been regularly checking out TA rates on DCL, and I had mentally noted that last year, we could have gone on a Very MerryTime cruise from Galveston. I am a Christmas nut and our family hadn't cruised together yet, so that seemed like a good idea! I also liked that the 7-night Bahamas itineraries from Galveston stopped at Key West, which is one of my favorite places. I started reviewing my DCL training, reading up on others' experiences on these boards, and chatting with DH about a DCL trip. We ultimately amended our plans: if a Very MerryTime cruise within our budget became available for the week before or week of Christmas, we'd snag it; in the meantime, we'd plan on DLR in February 2018 as a backup!

I began a strategic planning Google Document and, in September, started really keeping an eye on space available rates. Lo and behold, our second-choice cruise, leaving Galveston December 15 on the wonder, became available in early October! Our top choice had been the Christmas week cruise, but we are flexible and perfectly happy to sail just before the holiday. :) We did the math, determined the cruise was in our budget (and that the Christmas week cruise - if it even became available - would likely be more), and decided to book. We couldn't book right away as we wanted to put the trip on a new credit card in order to receive the promotional points, but once the card came, I called and booked that sucker! Luckily, it was still available!

So, to re-cap...
  • A light case of of Disney World fatigue caused us to check out other Disney destinations
  • We loved DLR and planned to go back...
  • ...but the allure of trying something else new was just too much!
  • We decided to be super flexible and watch for TA rates
  • And we snagged the first MerryTime cruise that popped up.

Telling the Kiddo

This will be a super short and straight-forward chapter!

Our daughter does poorly when surprised and enjoys being part of the planning process. (We discovered this on our second WDW trip, wherein we pulled a super early morning hop-in-the-car-surprise-we're-going-to-Disney and it went over poorly.) So we started chatting this summer about maybe going on a cruise. She and I watched a video tour of the Wonder on YouTube and talked about what would be on the boat and things we would do (character, swimming, restaurants, etc.) and how the boat would be different than a Disney park (no rides, etc.) This meant that she had some context once we were actually able to book.

We announced the actual cruise in the traditional way: with the call from Mickey and Minnie provided by DCL! I signed up for this as soon as we booked the cruise! The call was scheduled for 6:00 PM on a Friday because I knew we'd either be home or in the car at that time. I went to pick her from from after school care (aka my parents' house) around 5:30, hung out there for a bit, and then headed with her to Aldi. The call came just as we had pulled into the parking lot, and I put the call on our car's Bluetooth system so she could hear it in the back. Thinking back, this was probably a good idea because the audio was nice and loud and clear. I didn't take a video, but she was excited to hear from Mickey and Minnie, and surprised, and her face was priceless!

The call is a little vague, so I did need to clarify that we'd be seeing Mickey and Minnie on the cruise ship around Christmas. We celebrated a bit and then I ended with a reminder that she is a super, super lucky kid and should remember to show thankfulness for this kind of experience. I also reminded her that very few kids every get to go to Disney anything, much less multiple park trips and cruises in their lifetime. (Trying not to let this kid get too spoiled, and to also have an early understanding of her privilege.)

In the weeks since, we have watched the official DCL planning DVD, and she has gotten super excited about characters, activities in the kids' clubs, and beaches. She is really looking forward to all the dress-up opportunities on the ship, and we are heavily entrenched in sewing plans. (More on that later.) She is also enjoying our countdown calendar (more on that later, too) and it's even better on this trip, as at five years old, she understands numbers and can also write the numbers herself on the board. For example, she wanted to change it yesterday, and knew that 45 came before 46. I'm not sure she has a great concept of how long 45 days is, but she's getting there.

So, if you want a simple way to tell your kids about the cruise, I highly recommend the character call. Definitely put it on speaker phone so everyone can hear, and know that you'll need to do some clarification of details after the call.

Planning Flights, Hotel, and Travel Insurance

Brace yourself - this chapter is going to be LOOOOONG and involved! Maybe go pour yourself a glass of wine or mug of coffee, grab a snack, and settle in. :surfweb:

I'll categorize, rather than going completely chronologically.

Hotel & Transportation

As you may have read, we were watching for space available rates and weren't super committed to cruising unless something popped up in our budget. This means that I started a gigantic Google Document planning for about five different cruise eventualities. I wanted to be knowledgeable and prepared whenever those Very MerryTime rates started appearing! I started planning for the following potential cruises:
  • December 8, 15, or 22, 7-night Bahamian itineraries from Galveston on the Wonder
  • December 16 or 23, 7-night Caribbean itineraries from Port Canaveral on the Fantasy
  • December 24, 5-night Western Caribbean itinerary from Miami on the Magic
Galveston became a top choice because it had come up in space available rates in the past and flying to Houston around Christmas would be cheaper than flying to Orlando. The PC cruises came in second because they were still 7-night cruises, and we wanted a nice long trip for our first cruise. The 5-night from Miami was reluctantly tacked on as a last choice even though it was just too short for us.

So, I started looking at hotel options for three different cruise ports: Galveston, PC, and Miami. Within my planning document, I dedicated a page to pre-cruise hotel options for each night. Here are some random notes on our hotel possibilities:
  • I have lots of Hilton HHonors points from my day job, which involves quite a bit of travel.
  • I can also get good TA rates at some hotel chains, but we really preferred to book a Hilton property for basically free
  • If staying in Galveston, we'd need a hotel with a cruise shuttle.
  • If cruising from PC, we'd need to decided whether to stay the night near MCO and take the DCL bus, or get ourselves to PC and stay the night there.
  • I barely even looked into Miami, but I know there are Hilton properties near the cruise port and we are prolific Uber users
After doing some Galveston cruise research, I decided that if one of our top choice Galveston cruises became available, we'd stay at the Hilton Galveston Island. I chose this hotel for several reasons. First, we could book it for a very reasonable number of HHonors points (21,000). Second, it has a cruise port shuttle that will get us to the port, if somewhat inconveniently (I have read some mixed reviews of the service). Third, it is right next door to the Rainforest Cafe, and DD has harbored a deep desire to visit a Rainforest Cafe since we visited Disneyland last year. (We had to walk past their RFC every day between DLH and the parks, and she was always asking to eat there!)

So, the day I booked our cruise, I set up a pre-cruise stay at the Hilton Galveston Island. Cross your fingers the shuttle works out for us!

I'll add a bit about transportation here: I am a fan of Uber, and the service is back in Galveston as of earlier this year. Right now, we plan to Uber from HOU to our hotel, and then after the cruise from the port to HOU.

Flights

Once the cruise and hotel stay were booked, it was time to tackle flights. This was another points situation: we have some credit card travel points from doing the Chase Gauntlet, and we wanted to use said points for this trip. The question remained: fly from our home airport (GRR in Grand Rapids, Michigan) to HOU, or drive to Chicago and then fly to HOU? Grand Rapids is 30 minutes away and undoubtedly more convenient, but can often be more expensive.

Well, it was about the same number of points to fly from GRR as it was to fly from MDW on Southwest. Great! Let's fly from close to home, get a ride from somebody, and save on parking. Sweet.

But upon closer inspection, I did not like the flight itineraries at all. Too many stops, and we'd get back at 1:00 AM after the cruise. Our friends and family like us a lot, but not enough to get us from an airport at that time of night two days before Christmas! So the GRR flights were nixed and we decided to fly from Chicago Midway, where we could get nonstop flights to HOU at a variety of convenient times. We'll deal with the 2.5 hour drive and happily pay for parking to avoid multi-stop late-night flights!

Here's the next complication: when to fly? We cruise on December 15 and want to fly on December 14. DD has a full day of school on December 14 and a half day on the 15th. In an ideal world, she would have been able to attend part of the day on December 14. (I feel bad that she will likely miss her first school Christmas party, but she will be on a Disney cruise, which seems like a fair trade.) I began looking at flights late enough to leave her in school until noon or so. Unfortunately, that would have put us into Houston late at night, and I want to be in Galveston for dinner and in time to hit the grocery store. Thus, we booked mid-morning flights out of Chicago Midway that arrive in Houston around 3:30 in the afternoon.

Then there was the matter of a return flight. I know that fog is a common challenge with Galveston disembarkations in December; that is, cruises are often delayed in returning to the port due to fog. So I wasn't about to book a flight around noon, but I also didn't want to get home too late. So we chose a flight that departs HOU at 4:00. This puts us in Chicago at 6:30 PM, so if we can be out of that airport by 7:00 PM, we can snag dinner and be home before midnight. (We are in the Eastern time zone, so we jump forward an hour driving back from Chicago.)

Because it's Christmas, flights certainly weren't cheap, but they weren't terrible, either.

Travel Insurance

In general, I'm not jazzed about the price, level of coverage, or administration of DCL's travel insurance. Our agency works regularly with Travelex, and I had said I'd buy one of their policies if we ever cruised. As we've gotten older, added our daughter to our family, and begun spending more on travel, I'm eager to make sure all our trips are covered by insurance. Especially now that see many clients needing to postpone, interrupt, or cancel their travel plans, I recognize the need for insurance. So right after we nailed down flights and hotel and had a ballpark total cost for our cruise vacation, I popped over to the Travelex website and purchased a Select plan. I feel good about the coverage, especially in the event of some midwestern weather or Galveston fog that might interfere with our trip!

Conclusion (of this post, that is!)

So that's how the rest of the technical details for this cruise fell into place! I enjoy navigating logistics, so planning multiple hotel possibilities and digging into a number of flight options was super fun for me, actually. And having the travel insurance makes me feel more calm about traveling in December, which we normally don't do. Now we just have to plan the fun stuff!

Online Check-In and Activity Planning

The fun stuff! Hurray! :flower1: :love: :cool1:

So, as you know, booking this cruise was last minute. The booking-and-payment process was also very rushed! Here's how it went down: I actually put the cruise on a 24-hour hold when I was sitting at Sea-Tac waiting to board a plane. (This shouldn't be a thing for TA rates, but the CM offered, and who am I to say no?) Anyway, that gave me a nice long flight to do things like attached the reservation to my account and look around the website. We were within our 75 days, but needed to make final payment before any activities could be booked.

Upon arriving home from my trip, DH and I had to figure out final payment. The big question was: which credit card do we put this trip on to earn maximum points? We've been working our way through the "Chase gauntlet" and decided to use our most recent of the Chase cards since it would allow us to polish off the introductory offer and earn a bunch of points. I called that night, the payment was made, and the cruise officially belonged to us!!

Being within 75 days, I could do online check in and schedule activities right then and there, so that's what I did! I'm pretty sure we had a show on the TV (probably an episode of Psych, which we've been borrowing from the library to watch again) but I was barely watching because ALL THE CRUISE ACTIVITIES! Online check-in was quick and easy: passports were retrieved from the safe, placeholder flight details were entered (and changed a few days later), DD was signed up for the clubs, and the earliest available PAT (12:30-1:00 PM) was selected. Great!

Onto activities. Here's what we wanted:
  1. Princess Gathering: snagged one on our Naussau day (we are planning to use this mostly as a ship day)
  2. Frozen Gathering: these were and still are all sold out, but I've been checking regularly and hope to at least get tickets when we board the ship. If not, she will survive - we have met the sister thrice already.
  3. Some kind of tasting for DH: these were and are also sold out, but it's not biggie. He knows what he likes and can buy his own drinks.
  4. Palo Brunch: DH looked at both brunch and dinner menus and reviews and said he'd rather have brunch. These were sold out at time of booking, but one on Day 3 (our second sea day) became available a few days later. Got it!
I decided to forgo the Disney Junior character breakfast for a couple reasons. First, we've been there, done that at Hollywood & Vine at WDW. Second. the available breakfast was on Day 2, our first ever sea day on a cruise ship. Do we really want to be hemmed into an activity that morning? I think not. I suppose if there's a different day available when we board and DD really wants to do it, we will, but it's not currently in the cards.

But what about port adventures, you ask? Good question, reader.

The answer is: we are not doing any. WHAT?!?! I promise, this is a thoughtful decision on our part.

This cruise visits Nassau, Key West, and Castaway Cay. Our family has several goals for the cruise, including getting to know cruising in general and DCL/Disney Wonder specifically; spending lots of time together; and going with the flow. So, having several port adventures doesn't really "fit" these goals (other than spending time together.) Plus, I have specific, non-guided-adventure things I want to do in these ports. Here are our plans:
  • Nassau: mostly stay on the ship. We have a mid-morning princess gathering, after which we may hit the straw market, but I just hear such negative things about this that I'm not sure I even want to do that. There's just not much in Nassau we want to spend money on (for this first trip) and we want to enjoy our ship as much as possible.
  • Castaway Cay: explore the island and enjoy the BEACH. DD's #1 favorite thing in life is swimming at the beach, so again, no need to pay for an excursion here. We'll find somewhere to be, play in the sand, swim, and explore the different areas of the island. If the mood strikes us, maybe DH and I will snorkel or something while DD goes to the kids area. Maybe.
  • Key West: my favorite place ever! We lack a solid plan, but I've been here so many times that it's not really necessary. We'll want to take DD around some of our favorite places, but that's about it. I would love to tour the Truman Little White House on this trip as I haven't been there yet, but that seems better for when DD is older.
So that's that. In the coming weeks, I plan to do the following:
  • Keep checking for Frozen Gathering tickets
  • Obsess over whether we should also be doing a Palo dinner, and if so, when.
  • Obsess over whether we should add some kind of resort excursions for our Nassau stop
  • Nail down what we want to prioritize in Key West

Our Countdown Calendar

I have a countdown calendar that I made for our first family Disney World trip in 2015 - it's just a piece of Disney scrapbook paper in a 12x12 frame with some stickers on it. Everything was purchased at Michael's, and it only took maybe 15 minutes to make. For the non-crafty among us, I highly recommend this method for making a countdown calendar! Cheap + Easy = Perfect. :thumbsup2

I've been grateful this year, as we've turned our attention to non-WDW Disney destinations, that it reads "...days until Disney" instead of "... days until Disney World." This means the same countdown calendar we used for WDW trips was also useful for our February DLR trip and our upcoming Disney Cruise! Good forethought, me. :rolleyes1

I dragged out the calendar with 45 days to go. Here's DD posing with the calendar (and having terrible allergy face):

IMG_4688.JPG

This is our first trip that DD is really able to understand a countdown calendar (she is five.) When she was two, I kept it by my desk and updated it myself, although we talked about it with her. For our 2016 trip, we actually surprised her, so I didn't get out the countdown calendar (although now I'm thinking I maybe put it by my desk at work?) For our February vacation to Disneyland, I put it in the dining room and she understood it much better, although I did all the updating.

For this trip, DD has done all the number writing, and each day we help her figure out which number to write. This has actually been great practice for her, and she now understands that forty-____ numbers start with 4, thirty-____ numbers start with 3, etc. I'm eager to get to the teens (TODAY!!) because she has trouble recognizing numbers 12-19, so that will be good practice for her. In short, if you have a five-year-old, I highly recommend counting down to something because it helps with number recognition!

Here's another photo from earlier this month:
IMG_4743.JPG

Yesterday (Black Friday!), we did most of our Christmas decorating. I move several pieces of furniture and artwork to our basement during Christmas to make room for decorations, but the countdown board gets to stay in a place of honor on our dining room sideboard. Here it is being displayed with all my Spode Christmas Tree china:
IMG_4881.JPG

We've never been counting down during Christmas - I waited until after Christmas to start for our February trip this year - so it's fun to be celebrating Christmas and a Disney Cruise all at once!

I have no readers, which is completely fine, because my main hope is that someone might be searching something someday and find this PTR helpful. :thumbsup2

Onto the next chapter!

Pre-Cruise Sewing and Crafting: the Plans

One thing to know about me is that although I am not super crafty, I am mildly crafty and really enjoy sewing. My mom sewed a lot of our clothes growing up - including custom formal dresses for me in high school - and when my daughter was born, I wanted to sew for her, too, so I took it up! I don't sew for myself (adult clothes are too tricky with sizing) but I sew quite a lot for DD, mostly comprising of dress-up clothes and themed dresses for occasions or trips.

Sewing

So (or sew?), the first thing I thought of when booking this trip was, "What am I going to sew for DD?!" We love to make costumes for our trips to Disney parks. Here are a couple flashbacks:

IMG_0361.JPG
Anna cape (dress was store bought), Halloween 2015​

IMG_2566 (1).JPG
Minnie Mouse sundress for Disney World, 2016

IMG_3800.JPG
Princess Sofia for Disney World, 2016

IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3420.JPG
Rapunzel, Halloween 2016

IMG_0143.jpg
Ariel's town dress, Disneyland 2017

IMG_0238.jpg
Ariel Disneybound dress, Disneyland 2017
(No, you can't walk around the park with fins on. How about this instead?)

IMG_0360.jpg
Aurora "Make it pink, make it blue" dress, Disneyland 2017

IMG_4701.JPG IMG_4691.JPG
Merida dress and cape, Halloween 2017
As she already has several costumes that still fit fine, and we only booked about 60 days out, I only wanted to sew one costume for this cruise. I thought about characters or event special to the Disney Wonder or Very MerryTime cruises and came up with some good ideas. Ultimately, I gave DD two options:
  1. Any outfit worn by Tiana or Charlotte in The Princess and the Frog except Tiana's fancy gown at the end (time and materials prohibitive)
  2. Belle's Christmas dress (she seems to greet in this on Very MerryTime cruises)
Knowing that Tiana has a restaurant on the Wonder, DD asked me to sew her Tiana's yellow waitress outfit:

tiana-waitress-outfit-67344.jpg

Easy enough! I quickly agreed.

I also offered to sew DD one or two generally cruise-themed sundresses. I just a lot of patterns from CKC Patterns, and I know I can put together one of their dress patterns in a couple of days. For some reason, she was vehemently against anything nautical-looking, but wanted a Christmas dress. So I picked up this fabric from Fabric.com and planned to use the CKC Paige pattern along with some red swiss dot.

Other Crafting

Booking 60 days out and focusing on sewing doesn't leave much time for anything else, but I did plan to make some door magnets. I planned to design a few myself; print and laminate; and use sticky magnets on the back to make them magnetic. I figured this would be about two evenings of work and allow us to earn bare minimum participation points for a Disney cruise. :)

Tune in next time to see how my sewing and crafting turn out!

Your pre-trip report is very detailed and much appreciated! I like the planning aspect of trips just as much as the trip itself so these rare reads are great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter