Planning question

dachsie

DIS Veteran
Am planning to do Pearl Harbor on Sun Jan 12. Also plan to do swap meet. Would it be better to do Pearl Harbor first and get 11am tickets, or do the swap meet first and get 1pm tickets? I was concerned about doing swap meet and having stuff in car while at PH. Am planning to get tix on website when they open up.

I know it seems far ahead to be worrying about it but my coworker, who lives 3 hours away who is going with me (she works at another clinic) and I are getting together the first weekend in Oct at a conference to go over the plans and see what we want to do and pay for. TIA

There are lockers on site to store purses and valuables because they don’t want you to leave anything of value in your car. That says volumes! Allow more time at Pearl Harbor than you think you need. We did it once hurried and did not get to everything.

I definitely would not leave anything in my car--that also goes for parking at beaches or other tourist or remote areas on the island

The Swap Meet closes at 3pm. We left there around 1:30pm, and found that crowds had dispersed and vendors were packing up. If you go after an 11am Pearl Harbor tour, you might find that some booths are closing up shop. Any chance you can do an earlier Pearl Harbor tour? We had a 9:15 tour and got to the Swap Meet around 11, which worked out well.

If you decide to do the Swap Meet first, I agree that you shouldn't leave items in your car. You can store bags at bag check at Pearl Harbor for $5 a bag. Perhaps you can bring a backpack or duffel bag to put your purchases in and store that with bag check.

The Swap Meet closes at 3pm. We left there around 1:30pm, and found that crowds had dispersed and vendors were packing up. If you go after an 11am Pearl Harbor tour, you might find that some booths are closing up shop. Any chance you can do an earlier Pearl Harbor tour? We had a 9:15 tour and got to the Swap Meet around 11, which worked out well.

If you decide to do the Swap Meet first, I agree that you shouldn't leave items in your car. You can store bags at bag check at Pearl Harbor for $5 a bag. Perhaps you can bring a backpack or duffel bag to put your purchases in and store that with bag check.
I need to get the tix ahead of time and the first available is 11. I will go to mass at 7am, eat breakfast, check out of Hampton we are staying at Sat nite - they will hold luggage then was headed that way. I think we should do Swap meet first then go to PH based on what y'all said. That way we have extra time at PH if we want it. We will check into Aulani that afternoon

I wouldn’t get too excited about the swap meet - it’s very hot (located in a car park with little shelter) and most vendors are selling mass produced stuff that can be bought at Walmart in Kapolei. The only vendors worth visiting are the fresh fruit sellers IMO.

I wouldn’t get too excited about the swap meet - it’s very hot (located in a car park with little shelter) and most vendors are selling mass produced stuff that can be bought at Walmart in Kapolei. The only vendors worth visiting are the fresh fruit sellers IMO.
I tend to agree with this. If the Swap Meet doesn't fit into your plans, I wouldn't bend over backwards trying to make it work. It was a one and done for us. Many of the booths had the same items and we saw all the items at the ABC Store. Even the fruit and food that was being sold was covered in flies.

Hmmm.....interesting. I thought it was a must do thing. Since we will catch a Farmer's market on the BI where they will have souvenir type stuff, would that kinds cover what the Swap meet does on a smaller scale?

Hmmm.....interesting. I thought it was a must do thing. Since we will catch a Farmer's market on the BI where they will have souvenir type stuff, would that kinds cover what the Swap meet does on a smaller scale?
I can't speak to the one on the Big Island, but a Farmer's Market to me implies more perishable products like fruits, vegetables, baked goods. The Swap Meet has some of that but has more trinkets, souvenirs, crafts, etc. Its known for having cheap things like 3 t-shirts for $10, paper leis for $1, cheap macadamia nuts, etc. But even though the things were cheaper, we didn't really find anything unique. And as I mentioned, many of the booths had the same stuff like they all get it from the same suppliers. In the future, I'll just pay the extra couple of bucks and pick up what I want at any ABC Store.

The swap meet was insanely hot, and it was 99% made in China type stuff.
There were some booths where people were carving things, but it seemed like most booths carried versions of the same stuff.

It's cool if you have time, but I don't want you to feel like you missed out on something. I had visions of finding some authentic Hawaii ukulele, but all I found were made in China things you can buy anywhere. There was one booth selling high-end ukes, but nothing "made locally." We picked up some trinket stuff for the kids, and a dress for our daughter.

The ABC store actually had a ton of great souvenir stuff, and it's across the street. At the end of your trip, you can trade in your receipts for a gift like a bag, coffee mug, etc.

I can't speak to the one on the Big Island, but a Farmer's Market to me implies more perishable products like fruits, vegetables, baked goods. The Swap Meet has some of that but has more trinkets, souvenirs, crafts, etc. Its known for having cheap things like 3 t-shirts for $10, paper leis for $1, cheap macadamia nuts, etc. But even though the things were cheaper, we didn't really find anything unique. And as I mentioned, many of the booths had the same stuff like they all get it from the same suppliers. In the future, I'll just pay the extra couple of bucks and pick up what I want at any ABC Store.
The one in Waimea says it had artisans at it as well so I am hoping its got some unique things. There is also the one in Kona that says it had handmade arts and crafts. I will take y'all's advice and skip the Aloha meet I think.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter