Plantar Fascitis in Disney

KKB

DIS Veteran
OK...we have 10 days in WDW in May. My PF flared in Feb after 2 weeks on my feet ALL day at work. Luckily I was able to be on my feet less the last 2 weeks of Feb. & 9 days in Vegas were fine--wore fit flops, Softt low wedge sandals, Nike tennies with orthotic lifts, Allegria leather flip flops. 12-15K steps/day.

I avoid leather at Disney, and prefer NOT to wear tennies as my feet get hot (but I accept I will probably HAVE tO wear them some). Varying heel heights helps a lot from day to day.

I would be more than happy to invest in some shoes...any suggestions. Currently Nikes & fitflops are only winners in my closet--could REALLY use some other options.

(One note--with PF I CANNOT wear anything too flat; a bit of a heel is a necessity)

Also you probably already know this.. but REST is the bEST... my PF went away after I had whooping cough.. I was do down for months I couldnt work out and stayed a lot off my feet ( have a desk Job). but stopped running, Walking... soI traded my PF for whooping cough and a broken rib from coughing.( which was more painful that PF!!!)

It's interesting to me that mostly standing at work, walking around the library (elementary) can be more irritating that walking all over Vegas with lots more steps.
I did find some croc wedges online that look promising.
Those Lands End tennies look like what I like cool-wise, but I can tell they are too flat. I couldn't wear the orthotic in them.
(Gosh, orthotic makes me sound 80 years old!!)

I have PF, too and went to WDW a few weeks ago. My best bets were Skechers Go Walks and Skechers Premium-- I added a high arch support to both. Sandals just don't offer enough support (I have Vionic, Chacos, Tevas, Birks, etc.) for me to walk all those miles. I see people all the time in the parks in all of those types of sandals, and I wear them too, but only on non-park days. We take a break in the day, and I change shoes since they seem to hit different spots.

I wear Kuru Carreras. Only sold online, but designed specifically for PF. We are going in June and even though they'll be hot, they're my only hope for doing the parks.

I just went to an orthopedic surgeon for my PF and he suggests lots of stretches and gave me a brace to wear. The strap goes under your foot to support the arch. After 24 hours, I'm already feeling so much better! I've seen other mid-foot bands that help support the arch. Just a thought - for me, this is helping more than my shoe choice.

Lots of great ideas here! I found that wearing Brooks tennis shoes alternating with Free Spirits worked for me. I can even go all day and night without switching from my free spirits. The brooks are great but tend to irritate my feet after a long day. I'd just say wear what works for you, whether tennis shoes or sandals. I was told to wear shoes with good arch supports and a lot of toe room. I also used a wheelchair when it was at it's worst! Good luck:)

As someone who works in education and sports and spends upward of 15+ hrs a day on my feet running around and doing all sorts, THE comfiest 'tennis' shoes (trainers to all the UK folk!) I have ever had period, are Nike Air Zoom Pegasus. 'Shoes' are one my things, and I have lots and lots and lots of different brands and styles, flyknits, all the air max (I get employee store access in OR) ridiculously expensive, gimmicky etc... and these shoes are the ones I wear every day all day with no pain, no blisters, no soreness. They are just so ridiculously comfortable and I was not expecting it. I went and bought 3 pairs the last time i was there. They are awesome! Not too sweaty either, nice and light but such a comfortable inner and the cushioning is exemplary:

I have this exact pair!

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/a..._clickid=babd90f5-b2e9-4544-b208-d2c3be445e5d
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/a..._clickid=babd90f5-b2e9-4544-b208-d2c3be445e5d
One of the cheapest shoes i own and hands down the best for comfort.

This is what I do when I am at Disney with PF, every morning I go to the hot tub and let the jets hit my arches for 15 minutes or so, then I do stretch exercises in the hot tub, this works for me. I also change shoes (sneakers) twice a day!

I have super-glued arch supports to my sandals that have sides with great success.
Once they are on my feet, the arch supports aren't noticeable without close scrutiny.

OK...we have 10 days in WDW in May. My PF flared in Feb after 2 weeks on my feet ALL day at work. Luckily I was able to be on my feet less the last 2 weeks of Feb. & 9 days in Vegas were fine--wore fit flops, Softt low wedge sandals, Nike tennies with orthotic lifts, Allegria leather flip flops. 12-15K steps/day.

I avoid leather at Disney, and prefer NOT to wear tennies as my feet get hot (but I accept I will probably HAVE tO wear them some). Varying heel heights helps a lot from day to day.

I would be more than happy to invest in some shoes...any suggestions. Currently Nikes & fitflops are only winners in my closet--could REALLY use some other options.

(One note--with PF I CANNOT wear anything too flat; a bit of a heel is a necessity)
Freeze a bottle of water, put it on the floor in front of the sofa while you watch TV. While bare foot or with thin socks, sit up and place your foot on the water bottle and roll it back and forth for five to ten minutes. I did this while on a Disney trip that included going to parks for long hours each day for a week. After months of suffering with PF I came home cured. That was 16 months ago and the PF is still gone. ( I also brought two different pairs of supportive walking/running shoes and alternated the shoes I wore each day.) I was so concerned about not being able to keep up with my family and enjoy the parks all day that I asked my family doctor what I could do. Those are the two things he recomended

Bring a night time foot brace. I find that if I wear the brace at night I usually don't have to worry during the day. You can get one at target for $30.

I have been using the water bottle trick (for shin splints, too) & have noticed PF has been much better last couple months.
Thanks for tip on brace at Target--will DEFINITELY get one of those.
Only allowed 40 lbs. for suitcase--I will do laundry daily to be sure I have sufficient shoes!!!!

Vionics have been a lifesaver for me. I wear them all the time and have pretty much eliminated my PF pain from that alone. Prior to this I was doing the boot at night, icing, massaging, exercises, even steroid shots with limited results. Got myself several pairs of Vionics, including slippers so I don't go barefoot at home, and the pain is gone after several years of struggling with it. Only time I start to feel it anymore is if I go barefoot at home for an extended period of time. I take a couple different pairs of the Vionic sandals and flip flops to the parks when I go and have done 12+ miles in a day with them and still felt great. Only time I had any issue at all was when I took new ones without breaking them in long enough and it wasn't my PF that caused a problem but straps rubbing at the top.

Carry athletic tape. I suffer from time to time PF, and leading up to our last trip, despite good shoes, inserts from the dr, etc, it was getting bad.
I carried tape to tape up the arch (helps a lot), use ice and a foam roller at night and first thing in AM to help. You can buy braces, etc, but it won't fit in normal shoes.

I've also suffered on and off with PF. When I travel, I wear Sketchers Go Walks. They are light enough to fit a few pairs in your luggage and my feet don't get overly sweaty in them (I put deodorant powder in them and I wear those little no show socks). I echo the recommendation for taping your feet with athletic or KT tape (make sure to invest in the waterproof kind, the regular never stays well on my feet) and the use of ice and a roller at night. When my feet really hurt (usually it's one foot over the other but it depends), I sleep with this: https://www.amazon.com/ACE-Plantar-Fasciitis-Sleep-Support/dp/B005YU8XLO

It takes a little bit to get used to but it works wonders. When you wake up in the AM, use the roller and/or stretch your feet and don't walk around barefoot the minute you get up (at home I use crocs).

Thanks for all the tips. Will toss in some athletic tape.
Planning on: Croc wedges, Sofft wedges, Fit flops, Vionic flip flops (just got those 2 days ago--wore them all day at work. SO weird to wear such flat shoes, it has been years!!) & new Asics Nimbus Gel 18--plus orthotic inserts if needed.
Just fell down the stairs into garage this AM (3 steps). Ouch. R knee is wretched. Guess my walking plan is scrapped until that heals. UGH. I've got 5 weeks...

We went to our local "New Balance" shoe store. We told them the problem and helped us pick out the right shoe and some inserts for our feet problems. The shoes felt very good and provided a good cushion. Hope your knee doesn't brcome an issue. Hope you are to go and enjoy in comfort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!