Platinum Boarding in Galveston

socaintexas

Mouseketeer
Can someone walk me through what to expect? Is it is congested as it sounds like it is in Port Canaveral?

Can someone walk me through what to expect? Is it is congested as it sounds like it is in Port Canaveral?

Yes, pretty much, unfortunately. Once through security you walk along into the check in area and there is a designated line (maybe there was two and I'm just not remembering correctly) for concierge and platinum, and there is a DCL rep there to help you, but it's basically the very first desk in front of you when you walk into the check in area. Boarding is done upstairs from the check in area. We have only done this once since they reconfigured the terminal where we were at the port before they began boarding, and a line formed prior to them announcing the family of the day and beginning boarding. I think you could wait until they announce they are about to begin boarding and then just walk up to the boarding area and work your way into the pack to get on with group 1. It's still a really small group going out of Galveston, very few platinum sailing, mostly first timers and silver, so they call the next group really quickly.

In January this year, on embarkation morning I woke up and looked at the Port of Galveston web cam and was very surprised to see that the Wonder was still in the process of docking (around 8 am). There was a fog delaying all ships getting into port, which was surprising since it looked like a clear, sunny, beautiful day. Then I got an email from DCL asking us (I assume everyone) to delay arrival to the port by two hours (which was a much shorter delay than the prior cruise experienced). So we waited until 12:30 to get our cab to the port - wasn't a very long drive and when we got there we pretty much just walked into the building, through security, up to the Platinum / Concierge check in station and then onto the ship (probably around 1). Was really easy. And it looked like they had started boarding an hour before we got there.

I guess that we didn't really have to wait two hours.

And I wanted to give you a heads up about the very real possibility of a fog delay out of Galveston. I think every season DCL has been there, there have been many fog delays.

In January this year, on embarkation morning I woke up and looked at the Port of Galveston web cam and was very surprised to see that the Wonder was still in the process of docking (around 8 am). There was a fog delaying all ships getting into port, which was surprising since it looked like a clear, sunny, beautiful day. Then I got an email from DCL asking us (I assume everyone) to delay arrival to the port by two hours (which was a much shorter delay than the prior cruise experienced). So we waited until 12:30 to get our cab to the port - wasn't a very long drive and when we got there we pretty much just walked into the building, through security, up to the Platinum / Concierge check in station and then onto the ship (probably around 1). Was really easy. And it looked like they had started boarding an hour before we got there.

And I wanted to give you a heads up about the very real possibility of a fog delay out of Galveston. I think every season DCL has been there, there have been many fog delays.

And those not only affect the embarking cruisers but also those disembarking. (I know, it should go without saying, but...) If you're flying, consider well the possibility of a fog delay of up to several hours when booking your return flight.

We have sailed out of Galveston twice. We have sailed out of 2 terminals, so it will depend upon what terminal is being used. We felt that it was better last year, compared to our first time. The check-in area was pretty organized and there were cast members directing people to service desks. The seating was ample and they were directing concierge and platinum guests to a reserved area, at least for our cruise.

It won't be for you.....unless your on the Panama cruise. There will be very few platinum cruisers. I think we were the only ones on our cruise last year. Most cruisers will be first time cruisers.

It won't be for you.....unless your on the Panama cruise. There will be very few platinum cruisers. I think we were the only ones on our cruise last year. Most cruisers will be first time cruisers.

We are doing the Panama Canal next year! I can't wait!

I think the refurbished port in Galveston is great! There is a general line for everyone to gain access to customs, but after that there are a couple of staff who work the Concierge and Platinum guests, but if the line is long you go to any one of the numerous other lines. Once you get done you take the new escalators to the new second deck. This area is so much better than Port Canaveral. Seating for everyone and they keep the area for boarding clear. They don't allow people to stand around waiting.

Returning to Galveston is now much better also. There is a long, wide ramp leading from the 2nd floor down to the first. Plenty of room to carry to luggage off to get to customs. Much, much better IMHO!

We sailed out of Galveston in January and experienced a fog delay both on boarding and disembarkation. Hard to use our example as a rule, but the big issue for us is we arrived too early. We were told that the parking lots were closing so we went a bit earlier than they wanted us to. We expected to wait in a line, but didn't realize the extent of that line or wait. They had not cleared the building yet of disembarking passengers so we waited outside. Once they started the process it went very quickly though.

We had a huge fog delay in January of this year out of Galveston. We did not dock until 2 pm and it was 4 pm before we were off the ship. We had to wait offshore a few miles for hours before being able to dock. We just made our 6 pm flight by the skin of our teeth (and we were worried we had too much time to kill at the airport!)

MJ

We had a huge fog delay in January of this year out of Galveston. We did not dock until 2 pm and it was 4 pm before we were off the ship. We had to wait offshore a few miles for hours before being able to dock. We just made our 6 pm flight by the skin of our teeth (and we were worried we had too much time to kill at the airport!)

MJ
The Spot is my favorite restaurant in Galveston. It is right across from the seawall.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter