Please explain Paypal

RumpleMom

DIS Veteran
I am a member looking for 10 transferable points to rent to complete a reservation. Someone has offered these points saying they can accept a credit card through Paypal. Could someone explain how Paypal works? TIA

Thanks WebmasterCricket. I guess I needed some reassurance that Paypal was ok to use. I've heard about email scams and want to dot the i's and cross my t's before taking a chance.

Oh that :)

Yes, there are some email scams involving EBay as a method of information acquisition. As long as you follow smart information practices, you should be just fine.

NEVER, and I mean N E V E R use a link in an Email that goes to any site that requires your information of any kind even the most trivial information. There is never ever any situation that would require this that you want to be involved in. Always initiate any communication through EBay by going to the site yourself from a local favorite, shortcut or by typing in the URL to your browser manually and logging in.

I have never had a problem with Paypal and they have a bazillion users around the world. It is a very secure sight. As Cricket mentioned, don't give out personal info through emails about EBAY or Paypal, as both have been victims of phishing recently, but if you sign on yourself, they are extremely secure.

You will be fine!

Please excuse my questions- I'm trying to drag myself onto the information superhighway without getting run over.

Ok, so I sign up with PayPal, I send money via my credit card to someone. What guarantee do I have that they will transfer points into my DVC account.

Now if I could talk to this person on the phone, I would feel better about the whole thing. As a Presbyterian Christian, I like to think there are many, many more good people in the world. I just always think the best of people. But I don't want to do something that is just plain dumb either. DH is a detail guy, so the questions too.

RumpleMom said:
Please excuse my questions- I'm trying to drag myself onto the information superhighway without getting run over.

Ok, so I sign up with PayPal, I send money via my credit card to someone. What guarantee do I have that they will transfer points into my DVC account.

Now if I could talk to this person on the phone, I would feel better about the whole thing. As a Presbyterian Christian, I like to think there are many, many more good people in the world. I just always think the best of people. But I don't want to do something that is just plain dumb either. DH is a detail guy, so the questions too.

ah - now Paypal is WAY more secure than a transaction with a person you don't know. You need to 1) have a signed contract 2) get all the contact information you need to feel comfortable 3) check the person's posts here 4) make sure YOU understand completely the process in renting points and cancellations involved with DVC and that you and the owner you are renting from have a very CLEAR understanding of when money is due 5) call member services after you have done whatever you are under contract to do and verify that there is a ressie for the agreed upon dates at the agreed upon resort.

It is somewhat of a gamble, but most here will tell you that they have never even heard of a problem from the "owner" side. Most of the problems come because the renter is not aware that DVC doesn't work like a standard hotel room with easy cancellations, etc.

RumpleMom said:
:rotfl2:

At the very least, be sure to pay with a credit card and not a debit card. You can always dispute the charges with your CC company (and PayPal) if anything goes wrong.

Aside from that, you could suggest that part of the payment be transferred in advance and the other part after you have confirmed the point transfer with DVC.

Now if I could talk to this person on the phone, I would feel better about the whole thing.
So call him/her on the phone. :confused3

If one of the two of you has the ability to set up a 3-way call, here's what I would do:

1. Get in contact with the other party. Chat for a few minutes. If nothing else, confirm the number of points involved, funds involved, blah, blah blah. More than anything, just make sure you're comfortable with the person.
2. While on the phone, initiate the PayPal transfer. Make sure you create your account in advance. Actually initiating the transfer should only take a minute even for a novice.
3. After the other party has confirmed receipt of the funds, start a 3-way call with DVC to complete the transfer.

Just be wary of any private information you give out during the 3-way call.

WebmasterCricket said:
Oh that :)

NEVER, and I mean N E V E R use a link in an Email that goes to any site that requires your information of any kind even the most trivial information. There is never ever any situation that would require this that you want to be involved in. Always initiate any communication through EBay by going to the site yourself from a local favorite, shortcut or by typing in the URL to your browser manually and logging in.

Sound advice. Paypal is safe, just be careful especially of emails you receive that appear to be from them or ebay. I received a suspicious looking email from paypal and forwarded it to spoof@paypal.com. They respoded that it was a fraud. You can read up on this topic at paypal.com, and at the very bottom click on security center. 3 common tips that should raise a red flag: generic greetings, a false sense of urgency, and fake links.

It was MEEEEEEEEEE.
And of course, I know that I am OKKKKKKKKK.

But because I said 'pay with a CC' I had to upgrade my PayPal account to Business, which I really didn't want to do. (now it costs money to do transfers.)

PayPal has been a good service for me. They now offer 'money market' interest accounts (3 %) for money left in your paypal account. I like that part.

Anyway, the transfer of $ and points took place just fine. It's lots easier transferring than renting to someone who doesn't own DVC.

ColoradoBelle1 said:
It was MEEEEEEEEEE.
And of course, I know that I am OKKKKKKKKK.

But because I said 'pay with a CC' I had to upgrade my PayPal account to Business, which I really didn't want to do. (now it costs money to do transfers.)

PayPal has been a good service for me. They now offer 'money market' interest accounts (3 %) for money left in your paypal account. I like that part.

Anyway, the transfer of $ and points took place just fine. It's lots easier transferring than renting to someone who doesn't own DVC.

My goodness, if the original poster had said it was with YOU, what would we have done? The advice to check the seller's post record would have yielded... "What the heck is this Mig / Hanname gibberish?!? The seller must be insane!"

Good Luck!

I tried to pay for an apartment rental in Paris using PayPal. (Note the vendor uses PayPal all the time!) However, since I had not used PayPal, Paypal decided that I could not be trusted to know what I wanted to do and refused to allow me to charge that much on MY credit card! I was SO MAD! Try getting a human to assist you!!! There are not any!

I wound up getting a cashier check. After reading some additional "PayPal" feedback on the web, I decided that it really didn't matter. PayPal does NOTHING if there is a problem anyway.

Hi
a renter has asked for me to look into other payment option( apart from paypal) as i'm renting points from the UK . Any suggstions??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter