• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Please help me spend some $$$ !

bavaria

<font color=deeppink>Makes the best of both worlds
OK here is the scoop.... I have been a long time lurker, not very regular contributor, but enjoy catching up now and again. I am looking for some assistance/ideas in how to spend a little bit of money on myself.

Did WDW about 4/5 times/yr from 1994-2001, last visit was January 2001 when my AP expired and I needed a break. (Most visits were solo - I travel a lot for work, and add on a visit when possible)

Decided today to go back end of Jan 2002 for about a week, as usual flight and good offsite hotel are at no cost. Usually book 2-3 nights onsite at AP rate - planning one of the AS this time. Always rent a car. Have an AP voucher which I bought last yr but never traded in.

Have a hard time getting myself to spend money - remnants of my upbringing. Want to spend $100-150 on myself to do something nice, and would like some suggestions!!!

- I hate shopping (the outlets are a chore which I dread)
- I am a bit of a food snob, enjoy Norway, Kona Kafe, Wolfgang Puck etc
- am recovering from a recent accident, and while I can get around I am feeling about 20 yrs older than my usual self these days.

So..... should I spend money on some nice meals? upgrade my value resort to a moderate? any ideas?? What could I do for a little wow for myself?

Your feedback is appreciated!!!! THANKS! :p

You could upgrade to a moderate or you could have one of those wonderful massages at the Grand Floridian.

GRAND FLORIDIAN MASSAGE THERAPIES:

Swedish Massage: Traditional Swedish techniques to relieve muscle soreness, increase circulation and induce a state of total relaxation (25 minutes $47.20, 50 minutes $88.50 and 80 minutes $129.80)

Sports Massage: Invigorating and intense massage combined with heat packs and muscle relieving oils and liniments to compensate for overexertion. The perfect follow up to our sports bath (50 minutes $88.50)

Head Shoulder and Back Massage: A relaxing scalp massage followed by Swedish techniques with a focus on neck, shoulders and upper back where many carry stress and tension. Maximum massage benefits in a limited time (25 minutes $47.20)

Reflexology: A pressure point technique performed on the feet based on the ancient tradition and principle of energy zones that run throughout the body. The stimulation of reflex points in the hand and feet correspond to all the major organs, glands, and body parts. The technique induces deep relaxation, improves circulation and balances the system (50 minutes $94.40)

Shiatsu: A Japanese therapy given with the fingers, thumbs, elbows, and knees and feet concentrating on acupuncture points to affect the balance of vital energy of: ki". Based on the ancient principle that balancing the "ki" of vital energy aids the body in healing itself. Shiatsu is received with clothes on, loose clothing suggested (50 $94.40 and 80 minutes $129.80)

Executive Massage: Tired and feeling stressed? Relaxed and indulge in a 20 minute aromatherapy bath followed by either a Swedish or Sports massage (75 minutes $112.10)

How about a massage? You deserve it. Spend that money on yourself, you earned it and you sound like you could use some pampering.

Katholyn

With a car I'd stay with the ressies at the value resort. ( I admit I love the deluxe ).

nativetxn's idea about a message was right on. I went to the tea at the GF this last Dec. Loved it--I was with a group and ended sitting with 4 other lovely ladies. I would not hesitate to do the tea on my own. I loved it. Maybe the message and then the tea.

Have you ever done one of the tours? I'm thinking of the one where you go into the utilidors. I think the tour lasts 7-8 hours and includes a meal. Cost is right around $200---but with an AP you get a pretty goood discount.

Let us know what you decide......Have fun

PattyN

ps---If you don't have a digital camera---buy one for the trip and say that is your splurge of the trip. ( then you can post all your trip pictures for us to see)

Thanks for the ideas - and so quick! I am actually starting a massage therapy program as part of my rehab this week, so may consider it or may not, depending on how things go. Does anyone know if the spa at Disney Institute still operates now that the Institute is closed? I remember reading somewhere last year that it was still open.

Hadn't considered a tour - that's a great idea, and I remember that the AP discounts were quite substantial.

I've never had the tea either, only ever ate once at the GF.... but also something to consider. Lots to think about!

;)

I've heard, from another DISer, that the Spa at the Institute is one of the best ones around on-site and to the best of my knowledge this was still operating in Dec 2002.

Fantasia Sam thanks for the feedback - I am going to follow up on both spa options.

PieInYourEye - I dont know how far $100 would go for both of us, particularly eating our way around World Showcase!!

:teeth:

i'm going in a few months on my 1st solo trip and decided i was going to really pamper myself. i have planned to do a lot of the excellent suggestions you have already heard, the spa, the tea and a tour. another idea might be to treat yourself to Cirque du Soliel at dd. i just booked my seat. i have never seen this show but almost everyone raves about it. whatever you decide...have fun:D and make sure you give us your trip report when you get back:D :D

katypop:D

These ideas are right in line with what I am planning for my solo trip. I am going to use one day in the middle of my trip for spa and tea! I don't plan to do much shopping either--too much "stuff" already--don't need more! So this will be a way to pamper myself and rejuvenate for the rest of the trip!

I agree with the Cirque Du Soleil suggestion. Seriously. The first time I ever saw one of their shows was when I was alone on a business trip (and also went to Disneyland for the first time- alone) 8mo prego and trying to find something to do to keep myself busy. I happened upon a show of Cirque Du Soleil when I had just stopped because of what I thought looked like a carnival (there was one nearby)! I will never forget it- even though I have been to more of their shows since.
And the one (La Nouba I believe it is called) in Orlando? is the only place you can see that show. It isn't touring in other words. So you can't see it anywhere else!
If you go.... you won't regret it. We are hooked and go to everyone of their shows when they tour the Dallas Tx area. We're going to see Allegria (sp?) in Feb here in Tx!! :)

bavaria, I just wanted you to know that I was willing to make the sacrifice. :)

well I appreciate your sacrifice!!! :cool:

Thanks for all the ideas, and pls if anyone has any more...... I'm enjoying just deciding what to do. But I also believe in not planning too much - it's vacation after all, so I will probably just wait I'm there to decide.

Anyone have any dining ideas? Is there anything I must try? I've been to most of the full serv restaurants over the years, but maybe there's something new recently?

my usual parking place at the Contemporary. My DH has gotten me a 2-bedroom apartment right behind the castle and I live there part of the time and in our house near the DCL port the rest of the time. I go to the "world" several times a week, solo. It is one of the most enjoyable pampering things you can do for yourself. Ride what you want, if you want, ride it again or just get out of line if the mood moves ya.

I would like to heartily recommend BOMA restaurant at DAK Lodge. I have been told I am a food snob, but I prefer to be referred to as enthuastically meticulous. I want to REALLY enjoy those calories I may be carrying around for a while. :-)

My AP expired today and I am not renewing at this time. Can't believe I am saying this but I am doing TOO MUCH DISNEY.

Actually I have NOT done the backstage tours because I do not want to "ruin" the magic. To me it would be like knowing how a magician does his tricks. I have never done the "tea" but now with no AP to enter the parks, I will find more time for things like Boma's and tea and massages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter