Point transfer question (or point me to the sticky)

kboo

DIS Veteran
How does point trading between 2 DVC members work? (If there is a sticky that explains this, please let me know)

Specifically - does the rule on 1 transfer in/out of an account preclude a "trade" of points between 2 accounts? i.e. if I have 100 2018 points that I'd like to trade for 2019 points from someone else (either same or different home resort), is that possible to do - and if so, how would that work in practice?
(e.g. if I wanted to transfer/trade AKV points for SSR points, is it possible to do a transfer OUT to the SSR owner at the same time as a transfer IN from the same SSR owner?)

I know that it would be easier to transfer or rent points for $, but there are reasons I might not want to do that right now.

Thanks!

It's 1 time in OR out per UY. So, technically a "trade" of the same UY would not be allowed because you cannot have "in" and an "out" in the same UY.

Your scenario above could work, but it would use your 1 time allowance for both 2018 and 2019. No way to make it count as "1" that I'm aware of. Both members will be using 2 UY worth of transfers. I would try to do it as a 3 way call with MS. If a 3 way call is not possible, each member would just call and transfer their own points "out" (and there'd have to be a lot of trust involved with that as transfers are final. There's no getting your points back.) Honestly, there has to be a lot of trust anyway, because you are essentially giving away your account info to someone else.

AND I'm a little fuzzy on how it works if there is a difference in your UYs (so if you gave me your June 2018 points but that's in my Oct 2017 UY....? I know they retain their UY, but does it count as my 2017 transfer or my 2018? I think the answer is 2018, but I took a transfer of same home resort and UY, so I didn't need to figure it out!

I've only received a transfer and haven't been a member long. My knowledge is limited, I'm sure. Hopefully someone else will weigh in!

How does point trading between 2 DVC members work? (If there is a sticky that explains this, please let me know)

Specifically - does the rule on 1 transfer in/out of an account preclude a "trade" of points between 2 accounts? i.e. if I have 100 2018 points that I'd like to trade for 2019 points from someone else (either same or different home resort), is that possible to do - and if so, how would that work in practice?
(e.g. if I wanted to transfer/trade AKV points for SSR points, is it possible to do a transfer OUT to the SSR owner at the same time as a transfer IN from the same SSR owner?)

I know that it would be easier to transfer or rent points for $, but there are reasons I might not want to do that right now.

Thanks!
I don't know if this will address your specific questions but there's a very good explanation about transfers here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/points-transfer-rules-101-updated-2015.491988/

It's 1 time in OR out per UY. So, technically a "trade" of the same UY would not be allowed because you cannot have "in" and an "out" in the same UY.

Your scenario above could work, but it would use your 1 time allowance for both 2018 and 2019. No way to make it count as "1" that I'm aware of. Both members will be using 2 UY worth of transfers. I would try to do it as a 3 way call with MS. If a 3 way call is not possible, each member would just call and transfer their own points "out" (and there'd have to be a lot of trust involved with that as transfers are final. There's no getting your points back.) Honestly, there has to be a lot of trust anyway, because you are essentially giving away your account info to someone else.

AND I'm a little fuzzy on how it works if there is a difference in your UYs (so if you gave me your June 2018 points but that's in my Oct 2017 UY....? I know they retain their UY, but does it count as my 2017 transfer or my 2018? I think the answer is 2018, but I took a transfer of same home resort and UY, so I didn't need to figure it out!

I've only received a transfer and haven't been a member long. My knowledge is limited, I'm sure. Hopefully someone else will weigh in!
But they can make a reservation for you and you make one for them if you are doing this so that you get the 11mo window for a resort you want.

I don't know if this will address your specific questions but there's a very good explanation about transfers here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/points-transfer-rules-101-updated-2015.491988/

Thanks! That helped a lot - and I'll ask follow up questions here rather than revive the zombie thread...

But they can make a reservation for you and you make one for them if you are doing this so that you get the 11mo window for a resort you want.

Thanks - yes, that would have been preferred, but we have a pretty tight time frame if this even works at all...

We are waiting to close on a contract that has points expiring soon. At that point in time, we don't have any trips planned that would use fewer than the number of points we'd be trying to transfer or rent. I was hoping to avoid renting or transferring the points for cash as that has administrative consequences for me, but could do it if I had to.

Follow up questions:
  • If points transferred IN match my home resort/UY, will I be able to see them on my dashboard? Or will I still have to call MS to reserve because I can't see they're there?
  • If I do it as a trade-transfer, I could use, for example, a transfer OUT of my account in the 2017 UY and then a transfer IN in my 2018 UY but that would use up both members' transfers for two UYs?
  • And there's no way to do a transfer of 2019 points yet, but one could trade reservations that use 2019 points, right?

Thanks everyone. (It's starting to look like either a trade of reservations or plain old renting is going to be easier, and worth the additional administrative headache...)

Answers to your follow up questions:
Yes, in theory, but you know how good Disney IT is...
Yes, for both parties.
Yes

And there's no way to do a transfer of 2019 points yet, but one could trade reservations that use 2019 points, right?
You can transfer 2019 points today, but you can not borrow those transferred points once transferred. They can be used to book a 2019 UY reservation, or be banked into 2020.

Follow up questions:
  • If points transferred IN match my home resort/UY, will I be able to see them on my dashboard? Or will I still have to call MS to reserve because I can't see they're there?
In my experience, I could see the points but if I tried to make an online reservation, it did not let me use them. I was thankful that at least they could be seen, but had I needed them initially for an 11 month booking, calling in would have been a disadvantage. I was only using a handful for a last minute quick trip, then banking the remaining points. Banking had to be done over the phone with MS and I was told it was a "manual transaction" so it took a few days and I got no confirmation number or anything. Once I saw they were banked, I was able to make a reservation online with those points.

So.....kind of weird.....and YMMV.

You can transfer 2019 points today, but you can not borrow those transferred points once transferred. They can be used to book a 2019 UY reservation, or be banked into 2020.

This depends on your UY. For example, I'm in my 2017 UY, so I could only transfer 2017 and 2018 right now. But those currently in their 2018 UY can transfer 2019.

This depends on your UY. For example, I'm in my 2017 UY, so I could only transfer 2017 and 2018 right now. But those currently in their 2018 UY can transfer 2019.
Oh, yes. That's an important qualifier. My post was egocentric (currently in my 2018 UY).

August, September, October, December are the only UYs that cannot transfer 2019 points at this point.
February, March, April, June can transfer 2019 points.

@kboo, for your swap, the 2018 outgoing-points-member would just need to be in 2017/2018 UY, and the 2019 outgoing-points-member would need to be in 2018 UY.

Thanks! That helped a lot - and I'll ask follow up questions here rather than revive the zombie thread...

Thanks - yes, that would have been preferred, but we have a pretty tight time frame if this even works at all...

We are waiting to close on a contract that has points expiring soon. At that point in time, we don't have any trips planned that would use fewer than the number of points we'd be trying to transfer or rent. I was hoping to avoid renting or transferring the points for cash as that has administrative consequences for me, but could do it if I had to.
Hope it works. Do you mind me asking what administrative consequences? Just asking as I have never yet transferred or rented points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter