Points & Cash

chcknctlt

Mouseketeer
Hello All

Going to do a big family trip next summer...we are only ones in family with points. Is there a way to use the points we have and then pay the rest for a 3 bedroom villa in cash? Would that be a rental proposition? And mechanically, has anyone done this before and what were the steps?

Cash rooms and DVC rooms are two separate entities, managed by two separate holding groups. You would need to rent/purchase the additional points needed to complete your reservation, and then use all points to book the room.

Cash rooms and DVC rooms are two separate entities, managed by two separate holding groups. You would need to rent/purchase the additional points needed to complete your reservation, and then use all points to book the room.

Thanks...logistically, I would need to book two reservations or could a DVC rental site take my points and combine into one?

Thanks...logistically, I would need to book two reservations or could a DVC rental site take my points and combine into one?

That kind of depends on whether you are booking at your home resort (in the 11 month window) or at the 7 month window. I'm not 100% on the logistics of combining the reservations as I haven't had to do that (yet lol).

Also, remember that you can borrow your points from next year to have more points to work with this year. You can purchase 24 points direct from disney for a one-time use only (they don't add it to your contract as it's just for a single reservation), and they can only be used in the 7 month window. See how close that brings you to the amount of points you need.

It's theoretically possible, yes. But you can't pick and choose how much points or cash you put towards reservation. If you wanted to pay for 5 nights in points, you could pay for 2 nights cash if the room type is available for cash and potentially a DVC member discount if one is available for your dates (you'd have to check with MS if there is a discount available). Otherwise, you'd basically be booking one DVC reservation with points for the first 5 nights and then a cash reservation at DisneyWorld.com like anyone else for the last 2 nights. You can't book cash reservations at DVC until 11 months out from the check OUT date (as opposed to 11 months from check IN date for DVC points).

I might recommend using your points to book however many nights you want to pay for and then renting points from another member for a completely separate reservation for the remaining nights at David's DVC Rental: https://dvcrequest.com - much cheaper than the cash rack rate directly through WDW.

Call MS. They may be able to help you. You could pay for a few nights with points and the rest of the nights with cash (if there is availability). You cannot use points and cash for the same night, though. If MS can book for you, the reservations will be linked such that they appear as one continuous reservation to the resort. It will look and work just like a reservation made entirely with points. IIRC, not all 3 bedroom villas are available for cash. SSR is probably your best bet, but there may be others available as well.

If you have to book the cash nights via DRC, it will be more complicated to match them with your points reservation. You would have to make sure the cash reservation is for the exact same booking category as the points reservation. For example, if the points reservation is for an AKV-Kidani standard view Grand Villa, the cash reservation would have to be for the same exact thing. (If you book through MS, the CMs there will make sure that happens). Each reserving entity (DVC & DRC) would have to put a note on the reservation that it made that cross references the other reservation number. The note should also say that it's a continuing stay and include a request to stay in the same villa. You still might have to go down to the front desk to check out and back in again between the cash and points reservations.

Good luck. Sounds like fun.

Is there a way to use the points we have and then pay the rest for a 3 bedroom villa in cash? Would that be a rental proposition?
To have control over the whole reservation i would look into a points transfer from another member. This way you could book. Ideally you would want points from your same home resort but if you are not booking at a high demand time you could get points from a different resort and call in to book the rest of your dates at the 7 month mark. You can look on the rent/transfer board under the DVC forum.

You could also use a rental company for the extra days, but this would require a member to have enough points to book, which might not always be possible.

You could call about a cash reservation if the GV are available but this would be the most expensive route.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!