Poll-should I keep our DCL Europe cruise? Or just do a land based vacation?

Land based vacation or cruise?

• Land based

• Cruise

Results are only viewable after voting.

Anna Chassereau

DIS Veteran
We’re currently booked on the 8 night Greek Isles June 2021. Even though it’s a year away I’ve been worried about this cruise and what it may look like...none of us obviously know what cruising with DCL will be like and I’m definitely not willing to pay the premium cost for a watered down experience. I also don’t like that the PIF date will be in February and I’d have to make a concrete decision by then. We obviously all know that so much can happen in just a few months so it makes me nervous to lock down 12K into a cruise when you’re that many months out from a sail date.

As much as I want to sail with DCL I’m considering a land based Europe vacation instead just to have a bit more control over things and also be able to make final payment etc way closer to travel. Thinking of flying to Rome for a week, then a train to Venice for a few nights then flying to London for 5 nights.

Should I stick it out with our cruise? Or just cancel and plan a land based vacation? What would you do? There are just so many unknowns right now it’s so hard:(

I'd rather do a land based European vacation even if cruising was an option.
See that’s kind of what I’m thinking too...I’ve been to Europe 4 times and 3 of those trips were land based...the other was a Mediterranean cruise. I just think there’s so much to do in each city it’s hard to squeeze it into a port day

Personal, I would do a land vacation anyway over a EU cruise, as I find the DCL cruises way too overpriced for this destination.

For the Covid-siituation, I think it's way too early to determine what will happen next summer. So I wouldn't cancel yet out of fear of a watered down experience, but I would cancel because value for money can already be an issue on DCL, but it's increased on European cruises. Those cruises are very port intensive and tiring (what I hear from others), so enjoying the ship is harder than on for example Caribbean cruises.

I totally understand your position. We were set to go on an Italy trip through Tauck Bridges this July (with a pre-stay at Disneyland Paris). Planned with other families for over a year. Of course, that is not happening. :( Tauck has been wonderful -offering full refund or if you move it until 2021, getting an additional amount off your trip. For now, we plan on going in 2021 but like you said who really knows. Tauck PIF date not until end of April 2021. Feel like we have some time to decide. We love Tauck trips so in worst case we move it to another trip in 2022. Of course the airfare commitment can be a bit tricky but think most airlines are being pretty flexible through 2021. We used miles for our trip this year and just had them put back in our accounts and hope to use miles if we do go next year. We actually were debating between Disney European cruise v Tauck for some time last year and came down to exactly what you mentioned above - not really enough time in the port cities to fully explore the way we want to. Of course, everyone has a different perspective but just our thoughts.

I'd keep the cruise for now and re-evaluate before final payment. If you're planning on a DIY land trip as an alternative, you can book refundable accommodations in Feb if you canx cruise and still cancel close to June if you decide not to go. I'd wait on airfare until at least Feb to see what Covid concerns are then.
I've done both Greek cruise (Princess) and Rome/Venice/London (different trips). RVL are all very easy DIY. Both Greek isles/RVL are awesome trips. All amazing places. We prefer cruises in Europe with kids/teens, as they have a fun ship with pool, movies, etc. to come back to each day to regroup and hang out. On a DIY trip, you're out for dinner, then in the hotel vegging--which is usually fine for teens as they spend a couple hours online. For younger kids, the cruiseship is nice. Don't limit yourself to DCL, my kids enjoyed RCCL, NCL and Princess. We prefer DCL, but for a port-intensive trip, it doesn't matter nearly as much as in the Carib.

See that’s kind of what I’m thinking too...I’ve been to Europe 4 times and 3 of those trips were land based...the other was a Mediterranean cruise. I just think there’s so much to do in each city it’s hard to squeeze it into a port day

If you prefer land based then of course do a land based vacation. I read your initial post as if you prefer a cruise and are worried about a changed cruise experience.

This is a hole different situation. If you prefer land based than start planing that and cancel the cruise as soon as possible.

I voted for keeping the cruise. Greece and Italy are already opening for tourism within the EU, and your cruise is 12 months from now!

However, I guess it depends on why you booked a cruise. I love itinerary heavy cruises because I get to see a little bit of each port in a short amount of time without the time/stress of planning a land-based vacation. During my Mediterranean cruise, I saw all I wanted to see of Italy and the South of France, and the only planning I did was picking a few of DCL's excursions.

Countries/areas where I want to see a lot, I've done land-based vacations all planned out; transportation, hotels, activities, meals, etc. It's a lot of work and a very different vacation. We got to see a lot and I had a great time, but for me as the family planner, it wasn't very relaxing.

For Greece, if you want to see Greece, I'd pick a land based vacation for what DCL charges you could see a lot of Greece.

We got to see a lot and I had a great time, but for me as the family planner, it wasn't very relaxing.
yep! We do 1 week cruise and 1 week land to give me (DIY tour guide) and kids a break from straight touring all day.

I'd wait to make any decisions. Next summer is an infinity away in Covid terms. Things seem to change daily.

I'd also choose land over cruise for DCL prices any day. I also understand not wanting to be the planner, since I'm the family travel agent also. My solution was an MSC Med cruise for a fraction of the cost of DCL. I used the money I saved to have a planned trip in France for a week before the cruise - the company made all the reservations for hotels, guides, rental cars, trains, transfers, etc. We were on our own for the trip, but with a 100 page binder of information. It was a great solution. We had the flexibility to come and go, choose restaurants, wander little streets, but I didn't have to pore over the internet the year prior to take care of all the details. I'm sure the same exists for Greece.

I'd wait to make any decisions. Next summer is an infinity away in Covid terms. Things seem to change daily.

I'd also choose land over cruise for DCL prices any day. I also understand not wanting to be the planner, since I'm the family travel agent also. My solution was an MSC Med cruise for a fraction of the cost of DCL. I used the money I saved to have a planned trip in France for a week before the cruise - the company made all the reservations for hotels, guides, rental cars, trains, transfers, etc. We were on our own for the trip, but with a 100 page binder of information. It was a great solution. We had the flexibility to come and go, choose restaurants, wander little streets, but I didn't have to pore over the internet the year prior to take care of all the details. I'm sure the same exists for Greece.

MSC is really jerking people around for refunds. Nobody got a refund for 60 days and still now only a handful of refunds reported. MSC has gone so far as to claw back some temp credits. Your solution to do a cheaper line and save some for a bonus land trip is still a good one, but I'd look to other than MSC. We had exactly that planned and everyone BUT MSC has refunded us. Its been about 80 days since I cancelled my cruise and no communication from MSC beyond the initial auto email, same as everyone else in my shoes.

Wait. Too early to do anything. You can always decide not to PIF in February. One thing you didn’t mention was the age of your kids. Doing a Disney cruise in Europe with the children was so easy. We have been on both land-based and cruise-based European trips, and with children, having the immediate access to food, unpacking less, not having to drive/get lost, etc. - those things are really smoothed over with a cruise.

I totally understand your position. We were set to go on an Italy trip through Tauck Bridges this July (with a pre-stay at Disneyland Paris). Planned with other families for over a year. Of course, that is not happening. :( Tauck has been wonderful -offering full refund or if you move it until 2021, getting an additional amount off your trip. For now, we plan on going in 2021 but like you said who really knows. Tauck PIF date not until end of April 2021. Feel like we have some time to decide. We love Tauck trips so in worst case we move it to another trip in 2022. Of course the airfare commitment can be a bit tricky but think most airlines are being pretty flexible through 2021. We used miles for our trip this year and just had them put back in our accounts and hope to use miles if we do go next year. We actually were debating between Disney European cruise v Tauck for some time last year and came down to exactly what you mentioned above - not really enough time in the port cities to fully explore the way we want to. Of course, everyone has a different perspective but just our thoughts.
So jealous. I have been stalking a Tauck river cruise for years. Their cancellation policy and handling of the COVID situation has been first-class.

Thanks so much for the post! DH and I were just saying we do not feel comfortable cruising on big boats now, and with the prospect of a vaccine realistically not being available until next summer, we are likely not cruising again until 2022. We were thinking about river cruises being a much better option, And had checked out ABD but we had not heard of Tauck. Thanks!

We were booked on this cruise for this year~canceled, of course, and now have a deposit on next year's. It depends on what you want to do. We want to have this experience on a DCL cruise. If I did not, I would book a land based trip. I think it is too early to do anything at this point. Not giving up my booking now with a PIF in February. Who knows what will happen between now and tomorrow vs. next year. And what restrictions, if any, there will be 12 months from now. If you don't feel comfortable on a large ship with many people no matter what the circumstance (lots of colds, noro etc. not just this virus) than another mode-river cruise, land etc.would be best. Cancel the cruise if you know it is not how you want your experience to be, but otherwise I would wait and see how things play out in the world between now and that PIF date. If you really want that experience and tomorrow they announce a therapeutic drug for the virus would you be disappointed you cancelled your cruise? Good luck in your decision!

Last edited:
As an adult, cruises to Europe don't interest me. I want to eat interesting food in Europe, not cruise ship food. I want more time to visit interesting new cities. One day in Rome/Florence/Pisa etc just isn't enough.

As a parent of difficult eaters, I see more of the appeal of a cruise. There is something to be said knowing there is breakfast and dinner my kid will eat.

That being said, for that kid of trip we are planning to wait until my kids are old enough to have the kind of European vacation that I want to have. (Or some degree of compromise obviously.)

When in Europe, I prefer to stay at small B&Bs in a 400 year old building and shown to my room by Grandma or Grandpa speaking very little English. In Italy or Spain, sometimes it is a Monk or Sister that has directed me to my cell/room. That's the experience that I want in Europe!

If I want an American-style hotel, I go to WDW.

-Paul

I feel like this thread quickly morphed into two separate questions. The original question posed seemed to ask whether a cruise would be worthwhile given possible changes due to the current global situation and the likelihood it would affect the quality of the cruise. If that's the decision, then I believe your June 2021 cruise date is far enough out that I would feel comfortable at least waiting to see what cruising looks like. If you have the internal fortitude to hang on until February - then that's the route I would personally take.

The secondary question sort of seems to have earned the meat of everyone's response and that is simply would you prefer a European cruise vacation or a land-based one. That's an interesting question and, like so many things, I suppose it just depends. My DW has been to Ireland and did a land-based tour with CEI (I believe that's the company) and thought it was spectacular. Loved everything about it. There are many aspects of Europe we would love to see and you can only do really well this way - land-based, spending time in the communities and cultures. BUT, our first real European trip together will be - COVID-impacts notwithstanding - a 7-night Med cruise on the Magic next May. We felt like this offers a great way to dip our toes in the water (pardon the bad pun) in three different countries. Having said that, we haven't been yet obviously, but already assume we're going to want to do a land-based experience in Rome in the future. But, we're totally thrilled about the cruise - and a chance to sail on one of our favorite ships - and wouldn't change it. Just a different type of experience.

Also, to Chemist, I have to ask, so what to do if your spouse is the difficult eater... :-) Are we relegated to cruising, you think? (Ok, this is tongue-in-cheek. You don't have to answer. And don't tell my DW that I pointed out to complete strangers that she's the difficult eater... Thank you very much!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!