Poll: Why don’t you want dogs at Disney Resorts? (non-service dogs)

Why don’t you want (non service) dogs at Disney Resorts?

• I’m allergic to dogs

Votes: 120 26.0%
  • Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it.

Votes: 329 71.4%
  • I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it.

Votes: 312 67.7%
  • I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog

Votes: 157 34.1%
  • I’m afraid or have a phobia of dogs, or someone in my group/family is afraid of dogs

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it

Votes: 268 58.1%
  • The policy is a moving target, so until it is settled, I say no

Votes: 90 19.5%
  • Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort

Votes: 180 39.0%
  • Other (please specify with a reply to this thread)

Votes: 35 7.6%

• Total voters

DisneyFive

When is the 3:00 parade?
Sorry, if you are for having dogs at Disney resorts, this poll is not for you. I’m kindly asking that you please don’t vote. Please feel free to start another poll.

I’m trying to get an accurate idea of just WHY our fellow Dis members don’t want dogs at the resorts. …and to clarify, this refers to all non-service animals. I believe we all understand the need for true service animals.

We’ve heard from many fellow board members that don't want dogs at the resorts. Let's breakdown why. What are the primary concerns?

You can vote for more than one answer.

My concern is flea control, I work as a veterinary nurse (vet tech as it's known your side of the pond) and I'm always very up together with my own dogs flea treatment, however, I know many people use the flea products that are cheapest not necessarily the ones that work best. This means there may be fleas and flea eggs dropping off into resort rooms if a dog is carrying them which can be a nightmare to get rid of! I'm assuming Disney won't be asking guests to prove their pets are up to date with a good flea product...

This policy will turn off more people than it will please.

It opens up Disney to lawsuits (if someone gets bit). Or if someone gets fleas, ticks, bed bug bites it can easily be pinned on Disney.

Unless your driving to Disney or a Florida local I can't see anyone chosing to fly their dog on an airplane. Then pay $50 a night extra for dog in room and any excess cleaning bills. Its cheaper to board at home kennel and better on the animal IMHO.

I picked not wanting to sleep in a room that had strange dogs in it, and that's true.

But the biggest reason I don't want dogs at Disney is that I don't they would enjoy it enough to make the risks of taking them worthwhile.

There isn't much for them to do especially while their owners are in the parks. And the main reason to stay in a Disney resort is to go to the parks.

I have taken my dogs to the mountains where they could go on long walks in the woods and chase chipmunks and rabbits. We've gone to the beach where they can hang out and play Frisbee.

What enjoyment could a dog possibly get out of Disney? My current dog loathes fireworks, and she gets nervous on car rides. It would never be her cup of tea.

My main concern is barking dogs.
I don't mind when dogs bark a bit but if its constant its so irritating to my ears and if there are going to be a lot of dogs you can count on a lot of barking.
My secondary concern is being bitten.
As I understand it its only smaller breeds correct? So its not too likely that a dog would be out of the owner's control to bite you if you're walking by and they are on a leash however smaller dogs tend to be quick little escape artists and could get out of the room without the owner being able to get to it fast enough and if the dog didn't care for a random person walking by it could very well grab on and that would be completely unacceptable even if it was a nip and not full on bite with blood.

Concerned about barking dogs in a room near me. Don't like the idea of sleeping in a room that other people's dogs stayed in. I have relatives that do WDW trips with us who are severely allergic and have asthma and they would not be able to stay in a dog room. I also worry about the state of the rooms with this extra wear and tear from dogs....the cleanliness as well as overall wear and possible scratching or chewing of furnishings (as well as pee). On top of all this, I am not liking that Disney didn't have this policy all worked out before instating it and it seems to be a work in progress. I don't like the wording of their rules (as compared to Lowes' wording).

I don't mind when dogs bark a bit but if its constant its so irritating to my ears and if there are going to be a lot of dogs you can count on a lot of barking.
As I understand it its only smaller breeds correct? So its not too likely that a dog would be out of the owner's control to bite you if you're walking by and they are on a leash however smaller dogs tend to be quick little escape artists and could get out of the room without the owner being able to get to it fast enough and if the dog didn't care for a random person walking by it could very well grab on and that would be completely unacceptable even if it was a nip and not full on bite with blood.
I don't think there are any breeds or sizes restricted.

Last edited:
3 out of 5 in our family are allergic to dogs (cats as well). We are ok with Pet-Friendly Hotels with designated area for pets (ground floor mostly). However, with the current set up at Disney, pre-registered guests with dogs will stay at designated area but that doesn't apply to guests who just show up with their dogs. I know the percentage is low in staying in a room with previous dog occupants but it is not something I can afford to chance.

POR has been our home away from home for many years now. My girls just love it there. I don't know how to tell them that we no longer can stay at POR.....and AOA, their second favorite. I'm just so sad to say good bye to POR--I will truly miss it.

FWIW, I voted 2,4,6,8. No I didn't plan it to be factors of 2. :)

I'm tempted by 3 though.

Dan

ZERO breed and weight restrictions x 2 dogs allowed per room.
So yes there could be 2 pit bulls or 2 great danes in a room.
Disney research and marketing at it's best.

ZERO breed and weight restrictions x 2 dogs allowed per room.
So yes there could be 2 pit bulls or 2 great danes in a room.
Disney research and marketing at it's best.
And two dogs together can be more bold and aggressive because they have a teammate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter