Poll: Why don’t you want dogs at Disney Resorts? (non-service dogs)

Why don’t you want (non service) dogs at Disney Resorts?

• I’m allergic to dogs

Votes: 120 26.0%
  • Barking dogs. I’m worried that I will be kept awake, annoyed, or have to deal it.

Votes: 329 71.4%
  • I don’t want to sleep in a room that has had someone else’s pet in it.

Votes: 312 67.7%
  • I’m worried that I, or another guest, will be bitten, chased, or snapped at by someone’s dog

Votes: 157 34.1%
  • I’m afraid or have a phobia of dogs, or someone in my group/family is afraid of dogs

Votes: 75 16.3%
  • I don’t want to see someone’s dog relieving themselves. I don't want to step in it, or smell it

Votes: 268 58.1%
  • The policy is a moving target, so until it is settled, I say no

Votes: 90 19.5%
  • Dogs walking around the resort grounds negatively changes or ruins the feel of the resort

Votes: 180 39.0%
  • Other (please specify with a reply to this thread)

Votes: 35 7.6%

• Total voters
I wonder how many guests with dogs will just assume that bringing their dog to stay with them in the approved pet friendly hotel means they can also bring them to the parks? Slippery slope.

I will say that with our 1300 mile move this summer, we had to stay in two hotels that accepted pets with our two dogs and two cats (one night each) and it was horrible. Every sound my dogs heard, they barked. Every time I opened the hotel room door, my cats tried to escape. We were supposed to stay in the second hotel for more than one night but I was able to find a vet where I could board all four of them until we closed on our new house.

a number of years ago we stayed at the portofino at universal and i was shocked at the time to learn they allowed dogs...
when we checked in there was a huge dog in the lobbly with no muzzle and i actually questioned the concierge person regarding the wisdom of that particular breed of dog being permitted in the lobby without a muzzle..
well only about 10 minutes passed when the same dog viciously bit the face of an 8 year old boy staying at the hotel...
(what brought it to our attention.....the many police and paramedics who swarmed through the lobby)..
admittedly i felt vindicated over my misgivings...
the boy was rushed to the hospital with very serious facial injuries...i assume that many years later he still has the physical and emotional scars...

and i still think it's irresponsible to permit unmuzzled dogs in a hotel...(and i say that as a long time dog owner)...

a number of years ago we stayed at the portofino at universal and i was shocked at the time to learn they allowed dogs...
when we checked in there was a huge dog in the lobbly with no muzzle and i actually questioned the concierge person regarding the wisdom of that particular breed of dog being permitted in the lobby without a muzzle..
well only about 10 minutes passed when the same dog viciously bit the face of an 8 year old boy staying at the hotel...
(what brought it to our attention.....the many police and paramedics who swarmed through the lobby)..
the boy was rushed to the hospital with very serious facial injuries...i assume that many years later he still has the physical and emotional scars...

and i still think it's irresponsible to permit unmuzzled dogs in a hotel...(and i say that as a long time dog owner)...

Please consider sending this information to Disney World Management. I think it's something they would want to hear while they are tweaking their new dog policy.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

See this, while, of course, rare, is a big worry. Children are in hotel lobbies, and they are excited, and waits to check in can be long. Questions can be involved. It is easily conceivable that either children and or dogs are slightly less supervised at the point of check in.

yes, children and dogs should be well supervised, but the consequences of even a second's concentrating on the check in question while your toddler slips your hand to go check out the cool Disney lobby, now that dogs of any breed or size, with pet level training will be present, are just too huge. Neither dogs NOR children can be expected to be able to act responsibly / as they usually do at the point of check in to WDW. And it should not be something anyone has to be aware of for this type of holiday.

This no size restrictions is odd to me. Back in 2002 we moved out of state. We had a medium sized brittany who was about 35 pounds. DH had to sleep in car with him because the dog friendly hotels all had, something like 20 pound, weight restrictions. That makes sense. I don't think a Chihuahua could kill someone whereas a Chow Chow could.

Besides a family member who is allergic, I see this as being a huge dog neglect issue, which will lead to the barking, and damage (pets relieving themselves in room or chewing due to boredom) issue. How many people are willing/going to return to the room every couple of hours to walk their dog. Even those with the best of intentions can be thwarted by slow transportation issues. I love dogs, but don't think bringing them on vacation and leaving them locked up in a small hotel room is a good idea for anyone.

When people are traveling to or from a new home, or to visit family/friends where the pet is welcome is where I see a hotel that allows dogs to be a good thing. In this case people are usually going to spend more time in the room and with the pet. WDW isn't a location where people tend to spend a lot of time at the hotel.

Edited to add: By the way, I believe the renovations that are removing the carpet are part of the entire pet plan. Vinyl planking is so much easier to clean up after a pet than carpet.

Last edited:

Wow, that's awful! And yet it feels inevitable with Disney's lax rules and lax rule enforcement. Even if MOST dog owners are responsible, this should never have to happen, because it's just not necessary to allow dogs at Disney resorts (except service dogs or the rare disaster situation like Irma, where everyone's happy to help displaced families).

Dogs (even on a leash) in an unfamiliar place loaded with kids, many of whom will run up to the dog to pet it... Let's see, is there any WORSE possible situation? I see this happen a lot at campgrounds up here in Michigan, and owners have to be very vigilant and aware of people randomly coming up to pet the dogs.

Our dog is small and adorable (I'm biased :) ), but does not like unfamiliar people reaching out to pet her unexpectedly. She will growl and nip. She is small and has never actually bitten anyone and couldn't do a lot of damage. However, with no size and breed restrictions, Disney is just asking for serious bites to occur. Talk about a fast way to ruin both parties vacations! That is, unless they keep the dogs from common areas (which seems to be where they may be changing their policies to).

Dan

I don't want to take a chance on being in a room that has had a dog stay before me. I know that there are responsible pet owners but there are also lots of irresponsible owners that do not take anyone else into consideration. I don't spend the money a Disney vacation costs to take a chance that I get the room that smells, has fleas, etc.

Plus I think this Disney 'rule' was not very well thought out and they are going to have problems, in my opinion. No size/weight restrictions is going to be the worst, again just my opinion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter