Poll: Your Plans for Galaxy's Edge

How will Galaxy's Edge opening affect your planning?

• We're just waiting for the opening date annoucement so we can be there Day 1!

Votes: 19 4.6%
  • We're planning an extra trip late 2019 or early 2020 and can't wait!

Votes: 82 19.7%
  • We're delaying our normal/planned trip this year in order to go after GE is open.

Votes: 29 7.0%
  • We're skipping 2020 and will plan a trip when the crazy quiets down again.

Votes: 108 25.9%
  • We're not changing our plans at all - que sera, sera.

Votes: 179 42.9%

• Total voters
Well, it's changing one thing for us - we plan to avoid DLR for at least the next couple years. We live 8 hours from it, so that's really rare for us. But we expect SWGE to have a cataclysmic effect there, much worse than WDW.

Right now, we are tentatively planning to visit summer 2020. DH is a SW fan and wants to experience SWGE, but not with the over the top crazy insanity that will be the DLR version since it's inside Disneyland (don't get me started....)

However, I'm concerned about crowds and lack of discounts for summer 2020. I'm a teacher, and I do know for a fact that we wouldn't consider any of my other available vacation times, aka the most crowded times of the year at WDW (Thanksgiving, Christmas, President's Week, spring break tied to Easter) within a year of SWGE opening, so it'll be summer or it'll be nothing. And, depending on how all this goes down, it very well may be nothing, and we find a different vacation spot for summer 2020.

I'm not sure if we should avoid WDW during 2021 for the 50th. Probably...which is another factor in deciding when to go again.

Well, it's changing one thing for us - we plan to avoid DLR for at least the next couple years. We live 8 hours from it, so that's really rare for us. But we expect SWGE to have a cataclysmic effect there, much worse than WDW.

Right now, we are tentatively planning to visit summer 2020. DH is a SW fan and wants to experience SWGE, but not with the over the top crazy insanity that will be the DLR version since it's inside Disneyland (don't get me started....)

However, I'm concerned about crowds and lack of discounts for summer 2020. I'm a teacher, and I do know for a fact that we wouldn't consider any of my other available vacation times, aka the most crowded times of the year at WDW (Thanksgiving, Christmas, President's Week, spring break tied to Easter) within a year of SWGE opening, so it'll be summer or it'll be nothing. And, depending on how all this goes down, it very well may be nothing, and we find a different vacation spot for summer 2020.

I'm not sure if we should avoid WDW during 2021 for the 50th. Probably...which is another factor in deciding when to go again.
May I ask why you would avoid DLR for a couple of years? We are planning a first trip for this November. While I'm not a SW fan, this is just when we wanted to go. What are your concerns?

We are planning a trip December 14-28. I didn’t think about Galaxy’s Edge when picking the dates but I’m not changing anything. We like Star Wars but don’t consider ourselves major fans. We anticipate it’s going to be beyond busy and we’re ok with that. It’s not our first December trip! We will make our 3 fast passes and ADRs everyday and spend a lot of time relaxing at the resort.

May I ask why you would avoid DLR for a couple of years? We are planning a first trip for this November. While I'm not a SW fan, this is just when we wanted to go. What are your concerns?

I could be completely wrong, and I truly hope I am, but I just am not confident about DLR being able to accommodate the type of crowds that are going to flock for this, especially since it's already gotten so constantly crowded over the past several years. We were locals and had APs from 2009-2014, and we saw the crowds build just over that time and in the years since, to where there really aren't slow days anymore. It's just so much smaller than WDW in general, but also DL itself is much smaller than MK - the walkways are tiny in many places. I also am not happy that it's in DL; I think DCA would have been a much better choice. I like Star Wars fine, but DL has never been a park devoted to franchises.

Since DLR is in such a crowded area of the country in general, this is going to draw a lot of people who normally have no interest in Disney at all. My BIL, for example, lives 20 min from Disneyland and never goes, hates it. However, he's a huge SW fan, so he'll be showing up for SWGE. I doubt he's the only one in that mass of humanity who plans to make an unusual trip specifically for SWGE. Add that to the huge crowds DLR already has...I don't know. It just makes me nervous.

I really hope I'm wrong. I like WDW better, but I'm going to miss DLR if we really do end up avoiding it for so long. I plan to watch and wait to see how it goes. The good news is that since you don't have to plan a DLR trip so far in advance - no 6 month ADRs, no FP+, etc - you can easily wait to book until there's information about how SWGE is affecting DLR. If I were you, I'd just pay close attention to that information and then proceed according to what seems best for you.

I am not changing our plans at all at this time. I have a tentative BB booked for early December and finances will dictate the trip, not SWGE. WIth that said, with the trouble the CM had finding a resort for me in December, I am worried that the crowds will be more intense than I like. Most likely I will avoid DHS unless my young friend wants to visit something in particular. SHe is not interested in GE so I don't need to manage getting in there, but I bet she wants to see Toy Story Land

I could be completely wrong, and I truly hope I am, but I just am not confident about DLR being able to accommodate the type of crowds that are going to flock for this, especially since it's already gotten so constantly crowded over the past several years. We were locals and had APs from 2009-2014, and we saw the crowds build just over that time and in the years since, to where there really aren't slow days anymore. It's just so much smaller than WDW in general, but also DL itself is much smaller than MK - the walkways are tiny in many places. I also am not happy that it's in DL; I think DCA would have been a much better choice. I like Star Wars fine, but DL has never been a park devoted to franchises.

Since DLR is in such a crowded area of the country in general, this is going to draw a lot of people who normally have no interest in Disney at all. My BIL, for example, lives 20 min from Disneyland and never goes, hates it. However, he's a huge SW fan, so he'll be showing up for SWGE. I doubt he's the only one in that mass of humanity who plans to make an unusual trip specifically for SWGE. Add that to the huge crowds DLR already has...I don't know. It just makes me nervous.

I really hope I'm wrong. I like WDW better, but I'm going to miss DLR if we really do end up avoiding it for so long. I plan to watch and wait to see how it goes. The good news is that since you don't have to plan a DLR trip so far in advance - no 6 month ADRs, no FP+, etc - you can easily wait to book until there's information about how SWGE is affecting DLR. If I were you, I'd just pay close attention to that information and then proceed according to what seems best for you.
:thanks:All good points. Since I've never been it's hard for me to imagine what it's like there. WDW doesn't seem to have any slow days anymore either, so it sounds like both parks are getting more and more crowded. At least in WDW you can figure out which park is going to be most crowded on what day, and go to another park that day, or morning or afternoon. It always seems to work for us. But thanks for taking the time to respond, and I hope you don't have to wait that long to go.

We are planning for Summer 2020 (and this coming summer). Six months will be a good amount of time to let the initial rush die down

I voted for opening day. We are definitely doing DL’s opening date. We have WDW booked for December so hoping the opening date may collide for our booked dates but won’t be changing that trip to fit in for opening due to the excellent free dining offer we have.

We know it is going to be crazy and hectic but this is our last full on Disney year before hopefully starting a family next year. So we won’t be going to any Disney parks in 2020. Will be our last trips of getting up to go the parks at 7am, falling into bed after midnight, walking 40,000+ steps a day and doing everything we want!

:thanks:All good points. Since I've never been it's hard for me to imagine what it's like there. WDW doesn't seem to have any slow days anymore either, so it sounds like both parks are getting more and more crowded. At least in WDW you can figure out which park is going to be most crowded on what day, and go to another park that day, or morning or afternoon. It always seems to work for us. But thanks for taking the time to respond, and I hope you don't have to wait that long to go.

I just hope DLR handles the crowds better than expected, for your sake as well! I'm excited for you to experience your first trip! It's a completely different place, but of course also so magical, and it's the original!

We are planning for Summer 2020 (and this coming summer). Six months will be a good amount of time to let the initial rush die down

Exactly what we're hoping! Both summers for us as well.

Our postponed for a year trip for October of 2019 because of my back surgery. We will not change anything ...we will adapt to whatever the opening dates are.

Star Wars fans ... but ...
No change in plans.
No plans to make a huge effort to enter the chaos.
If we do, fine, if we don't, fine.
HOPING for a SW only EMM and/or DAH.
Would book both for sure.
Thinking we might not see until 2020 ...
Unless there is an AP Preview, will try hard for that.

This is pretty much where I am. We definitely won’t be making special effort to be there for the opening or right after, but, as long one of our daughters lives in the area, we will be making a couple of trips to WDW every year using our DVC points. If we happen to be there when it opens, so be it. I would probably stay away from DHS for at least a few weeks after opening, unless I decide to go just to marvel at the chaos.

I have generally not gone for the special events, but if they have some type of special for GE like they have had for Pandora and TSL (and I expect they will) I would seriously consider it to get a shot at both GE rides and a look at the area with lower crowds and hassle.

We know it is going to be crazy and hectic but this is our last full on Disney year before hopefully starting a family next year. So we won’t be going to any Disney parks in 2020. Will be our last trips of getting up to go the parks at 7am, falling into bed after midnight, walking 40,000+ steps a day and doing everything we want!

That's what strollers are for. ;)

Planning for April/May 2020 - not sure the crowds will die down for a while considering all the new things and updates over the next few years. Hopefully they have figured a way to absorb the crowds well.

We almost always travel on Jersey week, and this trip is no exception. I am a little nervous about SW:GE opening and the parks being packed with spill over.

I will make two touring plans with/without an extra day at GE.

Scenario 1: GE not open. Hope for soft openings but otherwise plan to tour as normal. Expect lighter than normal crowds since a lot of people will hold off/cancel.

Scenario 2: GE open. Engage contingency plan with an extra morning/day at HS (EMH) and plan on having a bit more of a resort centered/DS vacation if the crowds are unmanageable.

I hope that we get an opening day announcement soonish. Perhaps the timing on the DL opening will give us an idea on when we can expect an WDW opening date.

We almost always travel on Jersey week, and this trip is no exception. I am a little nervous about SW:GE opening and the parks being packed with spill over.

I will make two touring plans with/without an extra day at GE.

Scenario 1: GE not open. Hope for soft openings but otherwise plan to tour as normal. Expect lighter than normal crowds since a lot of people will hold off/cancel.

Scenario 2: GE open. Engage contingency plan with an extra morning/day at HS (EMH) and plan on having a bit more of a resort centered/DS vacation if the crowds are unmanageable.

I hope that we get an opening day announcement soonish. Perhaps the timing on the DL opening will give us an idea on when we can expect an WDW opening date.

I have a reservation for early December. If Galaxy's Edge won't be open by then, or if it's opening week, I'll cancel it. I'm excited to see it sooner rather than later, but I don't want to be there the first few days. Too much.

Booked Pop Century. Even if the Skyliner is crazy crowded it should hopefully make getting around easier.

While I do not have a next trip planned at all right now... I'm VERY happy I just went in November and not this year. lol While we really enjoy Star Wars and know we would spend time there for SURE... I will gladly wait for another trip until at least a year after it opens. DHS is going to be a madhouse and I wouldn't want to go to Disney and just skip it, that's just not an option!

We were originally planning on a pre-opening trip this Sept, but have since scrapped that. With other things that have come up, we've decided to just hold out until the hotel opens. Hopefully we can get a res...

DH and I are doing the ABD DL Resort and S California in Aug. We booked it before they announced a June opening. We’re hoping the tour gives us some advantage as far as fast passes, etc. Either way, we’ll have a few park days without the kids (easier to navigate the crowds, wait in lines), and then a few more with the kids.

Also planning wdw in November, but that’s just what works with our schedules.

When the hotel opens, we’ll probably hold off going for a few months to let them work out initial kinks.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter