Poly or VGF - 7 month window

act1980

DIS Veteran
  • What are people’s experiences of being able to book either of these resorts at 7 mmoths out for 14 nights?

Still trying to decide between the two for our home resort but want to book the one that is hardest to get at 7 months if that makes sense.

• Thanks!

Grand Floridian is hardest to get at 7 months out for a studio, but Disney is not selling any contracts for Grand Floridian direct anymore so you would have to get resale (as far as I know). We are new owners, but have been checking availability frequently and Polynesian still has some studios available at 7 months out. I hope this helps in some way.

Thanks for your reply. We would definitely buy resale if purchasing the GF.

Just so hard to know what to do. The fact that we will want 14 nights will make it harder to book at 7 months out I’m sure.

Last edited:
If you are booking studios, getting either consistently for 14 nights with no wait list at 7 is not going to be reliable. VGF is almost never. poly may be possible in low season, but I would still expect gaps. In fall, again: no.

You can only book 7 nights when the window opens, then would need to call daily or take your chances on availability being open to get 14 nights. That will be tough, probably impossible at VGF. It is a very small resort. Are you just wanting studios? Poly is only studios, and the bungalows no one can afford. VGF only has 47 studios, so competition for those rooms is tough, and very hard to get even as an owner with the 11 month booking window. Poly has 360 studios. Owning doesn't get you a room where you want when you want. It gives you a chance to TRY to book. From the angry postings on these boards, many people seem to be under the impression it is like their own personal vacation home, sitting empty, so they can go whenever they want. Actually booking is a rude awakening for them.

You can only book 7 nights when the window opens, then would need to call daily or take your chances on availability being open to get 14 nights. That will be tough, probably impossible at VGF. It is a very small resort. Are you just wanting studios? Poly is only studios, and the bungalows no one can afford. VGF only has 47 studios, so competition for those rooms is tough, and very hard to get even as an owner with the 11 month booking window. Poly has 360 studios. Owning doesn't get you a room where you want when you want. It gives you a chance to TRY to book. From the angry postings on these boards, many people seem to be under the impression it is like their own personal vacation home, sitting empty, so they can go whenever they want. Actually booking is a rude awakening for them.

I think it’s more a case of the fact that people have paid their money so expect to take priority which is fair I think.

I haven’t heard about only being able to book 7 nights so I’ll need to investigate this.

I think it’s more a case of the fact that people have paid their money so expect to take priority which is fair I think.

I haven’t heard about only being able to book 7 nights so I’ll need to investigate this.
Priorty over whom?
All the DVC members "have paid their money".

You can only book 7 nights when your window opens then add a day at a time there after. At VGF for a studio at 7 months, this is generally not going to go well. 4 months of the year you will get 1-2 nights at the 7 month window and be wait listing already. The rest of year, you may still be dealing with holes.

First two weeks of December even with home resort you may not get 7 nights when the 11 month window opens, let alone be able to then go up to 14.

I agree with previous posters. VGF is impossible. It is hard to get at 11 months! Poly, right now, seems easier but there is no guarantee. We own both and if I were to buy only one for availability, it would be VGF.

VGF has an 11 month problem. Owners of VGF can book starting 11 months from arrival date; owners of other DVC resorts can book VGF at 7 months out. VGF has only 47 studios and most who purchased at VGF purchased to be able to get studios. The result has been that there are times, particularly during DVC's high demand period that runs from late Sep through marathon weekend in January, when VGF owners who try to book exactly 11 months out lose the race to booking and are blocked out. In essence, if you want a studio at VGF you should own there but even owning there does not assure you will get a studio. Personally, I would not buy at VGF if intent was to usually get a studio.

Disney more or less corrected its VGF mistake when it opened Poly. Poly has over 300 studios with the result that it has not yet had any 11 month issue. It is also usually open at 7 months out except for time during that high demand period, when it is often either gone at 7 months out or the competition is so keen at exactly 7 months out that many come away disappointed.

Last edited:
I would safely assume that when the 7 month window opens, VGF & Poly are everyones first priority.

I'm sure their are owners who switch out to the other resorts at times, this coming year we are headed to BCV to try it out, but we get 2 bedroom units.

If you want 11 month for 14 nights in a VGF studio, I would suggest trying to get at least a one week confirmed purchase. A while back there was one on resale...

I wouldn't. You are ignoring BWV and BCV and even BLT. Lots of people want CCV for novelty.

Anecdotally, ALL of the BLT standard studios, 1br and 2br are booked the weekend before Thanksgiving already - 11mo to the day.

If you want 11 month for 14 nights in a VGF studio, I would suggest trying to get at least a one week confirmed purchase. A while back there was one on resale...

There still is one on one of the resale sites - but it's for a GV during 4th of July! otoh, it's only asking $115 per point. For VGF..

(1291 points, though)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!