Poly Reservations at 11 months or 7?

Kristi Lowe

Let's get down to Disness.
Advice please- our next WDW trip is slated for Sept 1-8, 2018. We would like to rent points for a studio at POLY and want to know- is an 11 mo ressie necessary, or could we (possibly pay less per point) and wait to get a res at the 7 mo mark? We are flexible on the area/view at Poly. Thoughts, oh wise DVC gurus?

The issue with the Poly is you'd need to have an owner online at 8AM at 7 months, or you'd risk not getting the booking. Your dates include a holiday weekend, among other issues; Poly availability often gets snapped up at 7 months early.

If the booking is important, you need to use home resort.

We got two separate Poly reservations for that week at 7 months last year. We booked our trip with our points (BKT is our home) and my parents rented points from an SSR owner.

I've gotten a lake view studio for a holiday week at 7 months, and have had to waitlist for a less popular week (or so I thought!) at 7 months as well. Your best chance is at 11 months, if you can reserve at that time. But don't be discouraged if you have to waitlist. Many of ours have come through! Good luck!

I've gotten a lake view studio for a holiday week at 7 months, and have had to waitlist for a less popular week (or so I thought!) at 7 months as well. Your best chance is at 11 months, if you can reserve at that time. But don't be discouraged if you have to waitlist. Many of ours have come through! Good luck!

OP is renting. Renting doesn't get to WL.

Some rental agencies have waitlists if they don't have a home resort member available to make a reservation.
Right, but when discussing a 7 month bookingmost people mean wait list like a member, to fill in gaps.

I will stay with if the booking is important pay home resort.

The holiday weekend could be the sticky part. If you really want PVB then I'd rent during the home priority for this.

One thing to consider is Poly will likely sell out this year. That means Sept 2018 will have a full set of Poly owners booking before the 7 month window, and that'll be something new and unpredictable.

How Poly booked for Sept this year and how it will book next Sept won't be comparable.

Also. WDW has pushed F&W back to the first of Sept. Thise will probably be F&W dates. DVC generally books fast during F&W.

Is it possible studios will be available at 7 months? Sure. But there is no pattern to predict that yet.

Book at 11 to be sure.

One thing to consider is Poly will likely sell out this year. That means Sept 2018 will have a full set of Poly owners booking before the 7 month window, and that'll be something new and unpredictable.

How Poly booked for Sept this year and how it will book next Sept won't be comparable.

Thank you for your insight -quick question - why do you say next year will be much more unpredictable? Is there something new I am not aware of presently?

Thank you for your insight -quick question - why do you say next year will be much more unpredictable? Is there something new I am not aware of presently?
Up until now, Disney Vacation Development has released rooms to stay ahead of points sold. What that means is that there have always been more rooms available than there have been Poly owners. Some excess capacity was going to be available at 7 months.

Once sold out, there'll be a Poly owner for 98% of Poly booking nights. Since most of those owners didn't buy enough points for bungalows, on any given booking night, there'll be more Poly owners with only enough points for studios than there'll be studios.

Some will book elsewhere at 7 months. Some will use points for cruises, etc. More will book during prime time than off DVC season, skewing demand.

How many? Who knows? Until we see it first hand, there's no pattern from which to make an accurate prediction.

Unfortunately for Sept 2018 bookings, that will be the first time booking Sept as a fully owned resort for Poly. Instead of following a previous example, it'll be setting it.

Plus. Early Sept has traditionally been DVC slow season and busy season didn't start until F&W in mid September. But now WDW has moved F&W back to the first of Sept.

The combination of the events, more owners than studios in a new busy season will create uncertainty about booking patterns until we see them in action. Both of those things will be new and not factored in before. So, next year will have a very different booking pattern for September than this year.

If you're planning to book Poly studios in Sept, 2018, then Sept 2017 is not a reasonable guide for what to expect.

Last edited:
Poly is currently about 78% sold and 93% released. For Sept 2017, there's 15% more Poly rooms than owners available for booking.

In Sept 2018, there'll be 98% of Poly owners chasing 98% of Poly rooms during the 11 month window.

(DVC legally must own 2% of rooms in order to be able to take them out of service for repairs. At any given time, 2% of rooms probably ARE out of service.)

Worse. I've done the math before and my estimate is that half of the 25% of points sold for bungalows are sold in amounts too small to actually stay in bungalows. So. It's more accurate to say that in Sept, 2018, 86% of Poly owners will be chasing 74% of studio availability (as a percentage of points sold) BEFORE the 7 month window opens.

Poly is an iconic Disney resort. It's going to be popular.

Last edited:
Plus. I've heard over and over on the boards that owners aren't going to buy Poly when they can just book it at 7 months.

Those owners at other DVC resorts have been spoiled by the excess capacity while Poly has been for sale.

After sellout, IF there are any studios avail at 7 months, there'll probably be an extremely high demand for them. As in gone at 7 months at 8 am.

If you're renting and can't scramble at the opening of the 7 month window, Poly at 7 months post sell out will probably be a difficult trick to pull.

Especially during F&W. Poly is a 2 minute walk to the Epcot monorail, making it a de facto F&W resort.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain - This helps tremendously. I expect that booking at 11 months out will be our best bet if we hope to get a villa there.

My issue with this is that we are planning on going September 3, 2018 for 9 nights staying in a studio. My mother wants to join us and will be renting points. Now since the rental is non-refundable and set in stone, I can't see myself jumping in and getting her reservation all set up at 11 months and then praying we can get a studio at 7 months. Actual dates could vary depending on flight info which won't be out until about 6 months prior for Southwest. There are too many variables for me to take a chance on. bumming.

My issue with this is that we are planning on going September 3, 2018 for 9 nights staying in a studio. My mother wants to join us and will be renting points. Now since the rental is non-refundable and set in stone, I can't see myself jumping in and getting her reservation all set up at 11 months and then praying we can get a studio at 7 months. Actual dates could vary depending on flight info which won't be out until about 6 months prior for Southwest. There are too many variables for me to take a chance on. bumming.

If you want poly, one way to be sure is to rent your points out and then get a transfer from someone else with poly points (or rent) to do an 11 month reservation for both you and your mom.

You could transfer in PVB points for yourself. Or get one for both you and your mothers reservation and keep things all in your membership. Then rent out your own points. Or, get a point transfer in for your mothers reservation and see if you can get PVB for both of you at 7 months. If not then you have control of the points to book elsewhere.

Booked a reservation for 5 nights this September, 7 months out no probs- was not on the day the reservations opened but a couple of weeks in. Had plenty of availability when I was looking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter