Polynesian Points

TheDisneyChix

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a trip to Disneyworld staying at Grand Floridian Villas. We saw the new construction of buildings between the Polynesian and Grand. Does anyone know whether current Poly points will be able to be used at the new buildings, similar to what happened during the recent conversion at Grand Floridian?

We just returned from a trip to Disneyworld staying at Grand Floridian Villas. We saw the new construction of buildings between the Polynesian and Grand. Does anyone know whether current Poly points will be able to be used at the new buildings, similar to what happened during the recent conversion at Grand Floridian?
DVC hasn't officially announced whether the new Poly building will be part of the existing PVB condo association or a total separate one.

My DVC guide called a month or so again and of course, I asked the question...the guides haven't been informed yet. My DVC resale broker has arguments for both scenarios so he's 50/50.

IMO if DVC can open a *new* resort it will bring in more excitement and sales for sure. Sure glad we have direct points at least if it is a separate resort (my guess) LOL!

Everyone is still waiting but my guess is that it will be a separate DVC and thus the original Poly owners will be able to reserve there only at 7-months out. When Disney originally announced there would be a new DVC Grand Floridian building, it stated that it would be an addition to the original VGF. When Disney announced the new Poly DVC, it avoided saying it would be an addition to the original Poly DVC and instead stated that it was being added to Polynesian resort (the whole resort). moreover, a new DVC resort separate from Poly 1 allows it to continue its Riviera resale restriction, prohibiting Poly 2 resale owners from reserving rooms at any resorts other than the new Poly, and prohibiting resale purchasers of other DVCs from being able to reserve Poly 2.

The VGF addition came at minimal cost to DVD -- all DVD had to do was a refurb of the already existing rooms and then sell points. It thus did not need to create a lot more points per unit than the original VGF, and did not have to create significantly higher points needed per night to reserve rooms, to pay for high building costs and the effects of inflation. The Poly addition is being done at a time of runaway inflation making the overall costs of adding the new Poly higher than originally anticipated, and DVD had to construct a new building at a cost substantially more than the addition at VGF. To recover that cost and make desired profits, it likely needs to have more points per unit to sell than the original Poly, and thus higher points per night to reserve rooms, which would mean that studios at the new Poly will need to require more points per night to reserve than the old Poly. Having that situation as part of the original Poly DVC would be a disaster for existing owners of Poly -- as the new points approach sell-out, the demand for original Poly studios would multiply exponentially and approach becoming like BWV standard view studios (where all such studios fill right at 8 a.m. at 11-months out year round).

Your guess is as good as ours at this point! Couple huge threads talking about it. Hopefully we'll know more soon!

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but to add an answer for anyone who stumbles upon it.... Disney did confirm that the new resort addition will be part of the existing condo association.

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but to add an answer for anyone who stumbles upon it.... Disney did confirm that the new resort addition will be part of the existing condo association.
That's interesting and pretty big news - where did you see it announced?

They kind of did, it's still up for debate. Nothing really official has been announced, just a mention at one of either the shareholder meetings or something like that. Unless it was announced today.

No, they didn't. They said it in such a way that it could mean anything.

I had seen a few different articles reporting that was the case. Didn't realize there may still be some gray area in the decision. Apologies if that info isn't correct.

"December 8, 2023 Update: During the question & answer portion of the 2023 Condominium Association meeting, Disney Vacation Club board member Yvonne Chang confirmed that the new tower will be part of the existing Polynesian Villas & Bungalows condo association, per DVC News.

This means that all current direct and resale owners of Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows will have access to the new Poly tower as part of the 11 month booking window, along with combined annual dues and the 2066 ownership end date for all owners. This is exactly what Disney Vacation Club did with the Big Pine Key addition at Grand Floridian, so it’s not a total shock."

I had seen a few different articles reporting that was the case. Didn't realize there may still be some gray area in the decision. Apologies if that info isn't correct.

"December 8, 2023 Update: During the question & answer portion of the 2023 Condominium Association meeting, Disney Vacation Club board member Yvonne Chang confirmed that the new tower will be part of the existing Polynesian Villas & Bungalows condo association, per DVC News.

This means that all current direct and resale owners of Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows will have access to the new Poly tower as part of the 11 month booking window, along with combined annual dues and the 2066 ownership end date for all owners. This is exactly what Disney Vacation Club did with the Big Pine Key addition at Grand Floridian, so it’s not a total shock."
They actually said part of the Polynesian Resort, not condo association. Very weasel.

They actually said part of the Polynesian Resort, not condo association. Very weasel.
Oh okay. I had not heard that. Received the info from some online articles. I tried to link them but the forum won't allow me to do so. That would be unfortunate if they don't add it on to existing. On a side note, any news of the new tower adding any new amenities or restaurant space?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter