Pooh sized cruisers?

bellyflop16408

Earning My Ears
I have a rather strange question to ask. I have been lurking on the boards for awhile now, and reading trip reports, looking at the pictures posted, and I have not seen anyone "pooh sized" cruising. I am a large person, a possible buy-a-second-seat-on-SW-Airlines sized person; I am starting to have some concerns that I may be mistaken for a beached whale on Castaway Cay and end up with a harpoon in my butt. :scared1: So do people my size cruise? Or is it only for the beautiful people? :confused3 Anyone else out there?

PS. If your only response is to say something unkind, post a cut down or give me a diet commentary - please save it. I am sure I have heard it already anyway.

I'm 50 pounds less Pooh sized than my max, but still a long way from being even moderate....and DCL has seen me thru "thick and thin" so to speak. DCL is the best. The bathrooms are a little small, but all else is great. No, cruising isn't just for the 20 year old body beautiful types. Cruising is for YOU. I LOVE to snorkel (fat floats!) As with all things Disney, you won't experience any fat discrimination from any CM. If you climb into the hot tub by the adult pool and some skinny thing makes a snide remark, you can direct her malnourished little self to one of the food outlets!

The seats in the WD theatre are a little small, those in the Buena Vista are worse. They will have some chairs without arms along the back of the BV theatre.

Cruising is for everyone! I'm not pooh sized or skinny, just middle of the road, but I can say that I have seen every type of person on DCL. Actually, the only "skinny" "perfect" people I have seen on the ship/beach are usually young college kids.

I have heard that the showers & bathroom are a bit small, though. I've never heard of anyone making mean comments. They may, but in the end, who cares? You're on vacation. I think everyone is so busy doing stuff, they don't pay much attention to how everyone looks anyway. :)

First off, Congrats on your first post and welcome to the DIS! It's great here!

Second, on our first cruise I was a size 18-20 and felt completely comfortable. I even layed out at the pool and swam all day. Didn't feel uncomfortable at all. No snide remarks are sideways glances. I hadn't wore a swim suit in quite awhile before that cruise but I would be darned if I was going to pay all that money to get on the ship and not fully enjoy it. My attitude was if people didn't like it they didn't have to look. ;)

Go, enjoy yourself and don't worry about it! You'll have a great time!

I am pooh sized and then some. I wear a size 5x. I have been on 8 cruises and have my 9th and 10th coming up next month. I would say go and enjoy. there are people of all shapes and sizes. I guess what makes me feel more comfortacle is that this is more of a family ship so you don't have that presure of feeling like everyone is there to hook up.:rotfl: there is a lot less judging i feel.

I am super pooh size. 6'2" and ### lbs.. :rotfl:

We have cruised DCL 3 times and hope to do a few more. You'll enjoy it. My only problem has been the seats at dinner and the movie theatre. You can ask your waiter for a chair without arms. Otherwise have fun and enjoy. I'm sure you won't be the only pooh sized person when you get off the ship with all the food that they give you.

please please please please don't worry about being "pooh sized" and going to anything Disney, including the cruise line. I'm 23 and in college and i most DEFINITELY do not have that "perfect young college girl body"... far far far from it to be exact. I am incredibly self conscious at home in Minnesota but I went do to Florida to take part in the college program (best decision i EVER made... but that's another story)... and it was the ONLY place i've ever felt comfortable wearing shorts, swimming suits, etc.... and this was with other college kids.

Disney cast members are truly one of a kind and I'm not just saying that because I was one. They are the least judge mental people i have EVER met in my 23 years of life. If there is ANYTHING you need to accommodate any type of physical or dietary need, just let the nearest cast member know and if they don't know how to assist you, they will gladly find the right person for you.

I've also found that at Disney or on Disney cruise line, you will come across people of ALLLLLLL shapes, sizes and colors and guess what?!? Everyone is there for the same exact reason you are... to have a fabulous magical beautiful vacation!!! So relax and have a BEAUTIFUL time on your cruise. Pop out that suit, chill by the pool, get a wonderful tan on castaway cay and let the only thing you worry about be applying that sunscreen :)

Enjoy, my friend! You deserve it :)

Welcome to the Dis. Glad you posted. No, it is not only for the perfect people. Do what you are comfortable with and you will have a great time.

Pooh sized here - my best advice is to shower in the fitness center - you will be MUCH more comfortable! Those "shubs" in the room may be ok for bathing kids, but they are ridiculous for full sized adults.

I have cruised as a size 24, a size 22 and a size 20. Next year when I crusie again I will be size 18 or less (insert prayer and wishful thinking here). I was very comfortable and even wore a bathing suit and a strapless evening gown, both things I do not do in "real" life. In all the pictures, you don't notice my jiggly upper arms or thighs because the grin on my face and the enjoyment in my eyes over powers the pictures.

To the op,

My brother and I, and our wives are all pooh sized. This will be our first cruise in november and the wives were a little concerned.

My brother and I? It crossed our mind, but then I realized....If someone is paying thousands of dollars for a cruise, is sitting on Castaway Cay, which from what i have seen, is paradise...And there is nothing better for them to stare at than my moobies (ie man ****s)? More power to 'em. Look all you want there buttercup lol.

Now granted, I wouldn't go out there in a speedo :rotfl2: (same as I doubt the wives would wear a 2-piece) but a normal swimsuit like anyone else, and if someone gets a kick out of looking at me so what. lol

I wouldn't worry. There are plenty of poohs out there. :thumbsup2

I love the term Pooh-sized. It fits me well. Love it.

I'm with everyone else, I never felt like someone was looking at me differently. Just as others mentioned, the showers are a bit small, but still fine. And I did feel like some of the seats were a little tight, so I'm glad to read there are other options.

And even though on more than one occasion I ordered more than one meal at dinner time (some of the portions were just too small) :) I never felt like anyone gave me an odd look.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you climb into the hot tub by the adult pool and some skinny thing makes a snide remark, you can direct her malnourished little self to one of the food outlets!
As an aside- as much as it may hurt you to have some "skinny thing" make a snide remark, it hurts just as much for any tiny person to be told a snide remark.

But to the OP, I don't think you'll have any problem. Plenty of Pooh sized people go on vacation. Personally, I frown on the people that give looks or make comments about anyone of a "less than ideal" size. And I get looks and comments, too, but from the other end of the spectrum- I'm extremely petite (I've been confused for an elementary school student- until people noticed that I'm much more busty than your average elementary schooler!).

Hi there! I am Pooh sized as well. It's good to know that I will comfy in my string bikini...Er...I mean swimsuit. :lmao:

I just had to comment on the theater seats....I wonder if Disney does that to make their guests eat less on the cruise. :confused3 Although, I don't think it would stop me from heading to the pizza station after watching a movie. ;)

OP...When are you cruising? And Welcome to the Dis!

Pooh sized here too. :hug: 2x. I've even had gastric bypass and it was a miserable failure. :( I am worried too. Of all places I've seen be the most Pooh friendly it's Disney. Though I haven't cruised yet, it does seem to me as an extension of WDW which has always felt Pooh friendly to me. So I just want to give a Pooh hug to the others out there feeling the same way. I'm scared to death to put on a bathing suit BUT I have to for my toddler. I'm just going to cry about it. I hope I don't get stared at. :sad1:

Pooh bear HUGS!!!! :grouphug:

Slightly off post, but I cruised with one of my pooh sized friends and she was so pleased at the selection of sizes available in tshirts and sweatshirts in the gift shops on board. She wears I think a XXL and was able to get several cute things which she said is often a problem on vacation :)

Slightly off post, but I cruised with one of my pooh sized friends and she was so pleased at the selection of sizes available in tshirts and sweatshirts in the gift shops on board. She wears I think a XXL and was able to get several cute things which she said is often a problem on vacation :)

Yeah. I usually pack far more clothes than my HD or sons have to because it's usually far harder for me to get anything on the trips. :( My boys tend to only pack 2 shirts because they buy a lot of t-shirts in WDW. I'm PLEASED to hear that I will most likely be able to as long as I don't wait until the last few days. Hats off to Disney for not making us Pooh-sized people feel even worse than we usually do about ourselves by not offering anything. :wizard:

I am pooh sized also and I am concerned about the pools. It looks like they have only a ladder to get in and out of,not steps. I find at public pools I need steps.

I'm scared to death to put on a bathing suit BUT I have to for my toddler. I'm just going to cry about it. I hope I don't get stared at. :sad1:
Pooh bear HUGS!!!! :grouphug:

You won't get stared at, I promise! As someome said, this is a family oriented ship, and that makes a difference. People won't stare if you're Pooh sized in a bathing suit. They may stare if you come to the pool with a sheet wrapped around you to cover yourself, though! Wear your bathing suit, have fun with your kids, and know there will be plenty of other men and women there just like you, and no one cares! It's like family, I swear!

I am married to tall man, who has NOT aged gracefully, and becomes more and more "Pooh-sized" every week. I love him and he loves life, and vacationing is all part of it. I have found that he is more self-conscious when we are vacationing with his coworkers (i.e. reward trips), and completely relaxed around family and strangers.

I am not picking on the OP, so please don't get bent out of shape. However, the best thing about a cruise for us is that my "Pooh-sized" hubby is able to eat as much as he wants and we aren't handed a bill for each meal. We often tease about him eating "first breakfast" and then "second breakfast" and then "first lunch" and then "second lunch", etc. . . . like the Hobbits in Lord of the Rings.

To the OP - you will love cruising! Don't worry about your size.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter