Pop Century Room Renovations

I haven't seen a picture of one of the shower only bathrooms? Have I missed it? I'd love to see a picture of one.

Here are pictures of the shower in the shower only room. The drain in the shower is very unique. The shower is the same size as the former tub, so I don't get why they didn't just put in a tub to make families, and people with sore, achy feet, happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 355
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 337
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 340
Here are pictures of the shower in the shower only room. The drain in the shower is very unique. The shower is the same size as the former tub, so I don't get why they didn't just put in a tub to make families, and people with sore, achy feet, happy.
Thank you so much! :flower1: It's better than I was expecting, but that drain area is weird? Not sure what's with that. The slant of the shower floor might make for an interesting time in the shower. I also wonder about why no tub when it's using the same space allotment?? We don't have kids but I do like soaking my feet in the tub. Oh well, if we get one of these it's not a deal breaker, but I'm hoping for a tub room.

I also like to soak my feet after a long day in the parks (I also have a few other "tricks" that I do to soothe my feet). I guess if we stay at Pop again, I'll have to pack and inflatable foot bath to use just in case we don't have a tub in our room. I actually prefer the shower for bathing, but I like the tub for soaking my feet...that's why staying in a suite at AoA makes me happy -- I get both! :) Now I'm thinking I might add an inflatable foot bath to our Disney box no matter what -- I could sit anywhere in the room to use it and I wouldn't be stuck on the edge of the tub.

I like, can it be requested?

The last two hotels I've stayed in for business have had this style shower. One didn't even have a door, just a half wall of glass. The drain is kinda neat I guess, the one without the door was odd...made for a colder shower in my opinion. I can't tell from the picture but it looks like those are 2 panes that slide closed.

One thing she said on the video a couple of times was that the old POP fridges had a freezer. ???? Mine did not, although it did kind of freeze my water bottles.
The old fridges never had a freezer, but if you left anything on the top shelf by the cooling coils, it would often freeze, most times it would just be really cold. Had stuff freeze several times, last time someone put a coke can up there - big mess.

Whoa! This is the first time I'm seeing the renovations and these are absolutely KILLER.

The wife and I have stayed at value resorts on both of the previous WDW trips, and while it's never been a big deal because the room is a place to basically sleep and shower, they've always felt like, well, value rooms.

These are massively improved though. Nicer bed, a foldaway bed (since we don't need two), better shower, more storage, just an all around improvement.

Another video is up on YouTube!! I just keep searching for POP Century room and filter for posted today - new one from The Mouse Diva - and it includes footage of the bed being pulled down.

For those interested, bed being pulled down (with 1 hand by a girl looking like she's not needing to exert a lot of energy) is at approx the 3:45 min mark.

Standard.
Once the Eighties are done, there will be about* 128 renovated Standard Pool rooms, and about 736 renovated Standard rooms. When the Seventies buildings are finished, they will offer 192 renovated Preferred rooms and 396 renovated Standard rooms.

So now we're at 1,132 renovated Standard rooms vs. 320 renovated Other rooms.
Sixties' completion will add 192 renovated Preferred Pool rooms, 192 Standard rooms, 396 Preferred rooms.
New counts: 1,324 Standard, 588 Preferred, 192 Preferred Pool.
Fifties completion adds 192 renovated Preferred rooms, about 192 Standard Pool rooms, and about 288 Standard rooms, bringing the final totals to:
Standard 1,612
Preferred 780
Standard Pool 320
Preferred Pool 192

*not all Standard Pool direction rooms are designated as such, because some face the perpendicular buildings

All calculations done in my head, so not quite accurate; Pop has 2,880 rooms - not 2,904! But the point is, more than 50% of the rooms are Standard, and Standard renovated rooms will always outnumber the other three types of rooms combined, at all phases of the refurbishment.

LOL - is anyone else glad they're not footing the bill for all these renovations??!! I look at those beautiful TVs and think of how long I'd need to save (i.e. how much of my Disney vacation it would eat up! :eek: ) and can't begin to fathom the cost of these awesome renovations!

I also like to soak my feet after a long day in the parks (I also have a few other "tricks" that I do to soothe my feet). I guess if we stay at Pop again, I'll have to pack and inflatable foot bath to use just in case we don't have a tub in our room. I actually prefer the shower for bathing, but I like the tub for soaking my feet...that's why staying in a suite at AoA makes me happy -- I get both! :) Now I'm thinking I might add an inflatable foot bath to our Disney box no matter what -- I could sit anywhere in the room to use it and I wouldn't be stuck on the edge of the tub.
love this idea even better than using the tub :)

I was all for the remodel until I saw shower only. I have the same problem looking at Sapphire Falls at Universal. I at least want the option to use the tub. Too bad because otherwise it would be great for couples like my fiance and I's next trip after we're married.

So even though I was not super happy at first about the shower only option, I told my 3 yo, and he was like "I will take a shower like a big boy!". Also, we do like to ice our feet in the tub, but can only take a few minutes of the ice cold. If we get one of these rooms, we can stop the drain up with a hand towel, ice our feet while standing, and be done with it. 77 days and counting!

I was all for the remodel until I saw shower only. I have the same problem looking at Sapphire Falls at Universal. I at least want the option to use the tub. Too bad because otherwise it would be great for couples like my fiance and I's next trip after we're married.

Most rooms have bath tubs. I'm sure if this is a 'must' on your list you would be able to request a room with a tub.

Ooooo... the showers have those fancy handheld heads. Usually only found in Deluxe resorts.

I requested room 5161 in the 60's Building. We paid for a preferred room. I am wondering if these rooms will be renovated by then? If Not I may change my request.

I didn't realize that! I just checked and I have preferred room not preferred pool view.

Apologies but I've missed seeing when you are going.

If you were wanting 5161 for proximity to Classic Hall, have I got a room for you! 0161 (my room earlier this year) is in 70s bldg 10 and just about as close to food/buses - plus bldg 10 will probably be a couple of buildings ahead of 5 on the refurb schedule.

If you want to stay in the 60s, room 5160 is "back to back" with 5161 and is Preferred.

Last night was our first night in the new rooms.
The cubbies under the sink are about a foot deep (about an inch longer than my iPad which is the only thing I have to measure with, lol). The cubbies to the right are deeper, probably, about 1 1/2 ft deep.
The dresser drawers are surprisingly small in depth. I usually share a drawer with my son when we are here , but this time mine by themselves barely fit. I have about 9 outfits (t's, tanks & size small shorts, 1 swimsuit, & undergarments. They are squeezed in there. There is enough space under the dresser to line up our shoes, & the suitcases are under the bed, which is nice
The bathroom mirror has a vanity light all the way around the mirror which I love. I can use the big mirror to do my makeup in the morning while my mom is using the makeup mirror & it worked out nice this morning.
The shower track is on the top so the bottom is just flat metal with a lip to guide the door so I don't see them getting dirty as being a problem at all. I do see how it might be in the way for a mom to bathe her littles though.
The bigger beds do make the floor space seem cramped. I haven't hit my shin yet, but I think it's inevitable this week. We don't stay in our rooms much so the lack of walking space doesn't bother us but other families of four, it might.
We always used the table for our catch-all but we are keeping both beds down & the dresser has become our catch all with more than enough room as the snacks are able to be stacked on the beverage center. Its awesome to have coffee in the room.
We haven't noticed any increase in noise from the floors. We're on the third floor.
Overall, we are really enjoying the room & im happy we were able to book. It's a great improvement.

kaytieeldr, that's awesome info, thanks so much! I am currently booked in a Standard so feeling pretty good!
What can I say, except you're welcome and I'm a math nerd :D. Not obsessively, or I wouldn't have calculated 24 more rooms than the resort actually has...
At this point we don't have any idea what percent of the 2,880 rooms will have only showers.

Those rooms are perfect for people like me. First, I probably haven't taken a bath in 45 years. More, though, is that age and a variety of injuries/conditions make it difficult for me to get over even a low tub wall.

Now I won't need to request an accessible room - just one with a shower. And yes, the world does revolve around me ;)
I guess if we stay at Pop again, I'll have to pack and inflatable foot bath to use just in case we don't have a tub in our room
Well, for heat there's the hot tub. For cold, roll ice cold cans of soda under your feet (bring salt to mix with the ice in the bucket to speed chilling.)
about an inch longer than my iPad which is the only thing I have to measure with, lol
Shame. Shame! How dare you travel without the mandatory tape measure??? Seriously, though, U.S. paper currency is 6.25".

I'd measure a credit card for you in case you don't have cash...but I don't have a tape measure.

Last edited:
So if I book a standard room for the first week of April 2018, is it a pretty safe bet that all standard rooms should be finished by then?

Room request is in for August, 80's or 90's section ( they should all be renovated by then I would think). Once the Mrs. saw the rooms have coffee makers, she strongly suggested (demanded) a room with a coffee maker as she has a slight coffee addiction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter